Thread poster: Net-Translators
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:12
English to Russian
pros? Mar 2, 2016

I'm working with Studio and MemoQ.

Me either. If I didn't, I would not be able to compare.
And I cannot find any pro for Trados.

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:
Multiterm integrates seamlessly into Studio.
Studio is becoming smarter.

Are you kidding? =)
1. You need to check and uncheck file type boxes and move them up/down to make normal and bilingual Excels work properly. (In memoQ, you don't.)
2. You have no option to work with multitab bilingual Excel at all. (In memoQ, you do.)
3. You need a separate application (Multiterm) to handle terms. (In memoQ, you don't need to "integrate seamlessly' anything at all. It's already there by design.)
4. You cannot merge several files and export them as a single file. (In memoQ, you can. Not only merge, but also sort using a number of rules: by alphabet, by length, by color, by mood, by gender, by religion, etc...)
5. A real mess with file structure with loads of some folders that I don't need. Plus, Trados does not change the translated file name, so that if you need to find a file with Windows search, you will have two files with the same name on your PC. Before sending it to client, you need to investigate whether it is form source folder or from target folder. (In memoQ, you have a single folder with a translation file appearing at the same location (unless you instruct it to behave in a different way).)
Each new project creates a bundle of folders. If you do not create a project for each new job, you will have to find your new files in the old project folder (in memoQ, the translation file location does not depend on the project folder location. This allows you to add files to any needed client folder regardless of where you store your projects.)

These are only 5 cons for Trados. Can you list 5 pros?
If you do not know memoQ well, how can you state what you state?
Unlike you, I know both applications pretty well since their early versions.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 06:11 GMT]

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:12
Dutch to English
Comparison between MemoQ and Studio Mar 2, 2016

This is a useful comparison: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2014/08/08/memoq/

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 17:12
French to English
+ ...
@Stepan Mar 2, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

If you do not know memoQ well, how can you state what you state?

I stated what I know about memoq, which is not much:

- I hated looking at the screen sideways because the windows were not detachable.
- I hated not knowing how much progress I had made at a glance without going into menus.

... and I hated their file system.

I also don't like their subscription system.

PS I was not aware of the benefits of doing multiple bilingual files in Excel. Interesting.

Oksana Kondakova
Oksana Kondakova  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:12
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
From the list - MemoQ, personally - waiting for it to go web Mar 2, 2016

Unlike others I prefer working online from my browser on any device - smartphone, tablet, laptop. Desktop software is a stone age. It is way more convenient to have everything in the cloud.

SmartCat is a good option, but it does not support .txml and .mqxliff.

Pros:

1. Web-based. Yay!

2. Pretty interface

3. Built-in dictionaries (not compared to multitran though)

4. Easily added terminology

5. Easi
... See more
Unlike others I prefer working online from my browser on any device - smartphone, tablet, laptop. Desktop software is a stone age. It is way more convenient to have everything in the cloud.

SmartCat is a good option, but it does not support .txml and .mqxliff.

Pros:

1. Web-based. Yay!

2. Pretty interface

3. Built-in dictionaries (not compared to multitran though)

4. Easily added terminology

5. Easily tracked progress

Cons:

1. Does not support Wordfast and MemoQ file types.

MemoQ has 2 basic cons:

1. Still no progress in words. I just think they are kidding me when every new build and release still misses this vital option.

2. Desktop. No way to work in browser from different devices. Shame in 2016.

All the rest is pros:

1. Supports almost any file type (minus Autocad)

2. Highly customizable

3. Segment assembling

4. The easiest way to add new terms

SDL Studio

A heavy desktop dinozaur. I only use it when my clients send Studio packages. Adding terminology is a nightmare - too much action. Does not save the final file to the same folder, if you forgot to change the path - congratulations, valuable time spent for searching.

[Edited at 2016-03-02 09:31 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
memoQ no longer "Thick as molasses" Mar 2, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

The only real option in your list is memoQ: definitely the best, and highly recommended! memoQ 2015 is amazing.

Apart from expressing my sadness about the fact that you are no longer using my favourite tool too , I'd like to ask, what happened to "memoQ being 'Thick as molasses'" as you once stated?

Has this been solved completely? What was the culprit?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. You are primarily recommending memoQ because of:

- The way it supports Dragon speech recognition
- The way it organises its resources in the dashboard?

Any other features that made you switch back from my preferred tool and from Felix to memoQ?

[Edited at 2016-03-02 10:02 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
WebTrans Mar 2, 2016

Hi Oksana,

Even though I don't share your optimism about translation on a smartphone or a tablet (even a laptop is too 'nano' for me), plus keeping confidential information in a cloud... kind of suicide in my opinion...
But you may have your reason and preferences of course.

So. Have you tried this solution? I am not sure because I am not interested in online solut
... See more
Hi Oksana,

Even though I don't share your optimism about translation on a smartphone or a tablet (even a laptop is too 'nano' for me), plus keeping confidential information in a cloud... kind of suicide in my opinion...
But you may have your reason and preferences of course.

So. Have you tried this solution? I am not sure because I am not interested in online solutions, but it looks like what you need.
https://www.memoq.com/memoq-webtrans-browser-based-translation
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
I'm really looking forward Mar 2, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote (at the CafeTran Freshdesk):

I will address all of your points as soon as I have a moment.

Thanks Michael, I'm really looking forward. Not to start another CAT fight, but to learn from your experience.

I'm especially interested in learning how you manage source-side synonyms (alternatives) and your tab-delimited glossaries in memoQ. I take it that you don't manage your huge TMX files in memoQ? You'll probably use another tool for that, since memoQ isn't very well suited for huge TMX files.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 07:09 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
memoQ Webtrans? Mar 2, 2016

Stepan Konev wrote:

So. Have you tried this solution? I am not sure because I am not interested in online solutions, but it looks like what you need.
https://www.memoq.com/memoq-webtrans-browser-based-translation

I didn't know that Kilgray created a browser version of memoQ too. Is there a sandbox to test it and compare it with other browser-based CAT tools like crossWeb, Wf Anywhere, Matecat etc.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Trados Mar 3, 2016

I have been using it for several years...
No problems, steady workflow, no bugs...
I find it very user-friendly

[Edited at 2016-03-03 00:15 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Sorry, no idea Mar 3, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:
Is there a sandbox to test it and compare it with other browser-based CAT tools like crossWeb, Wf Anywhere, Matecat etc.

I don't know. Sorry. I don't use cloud-like things voluntary. And never used it so far.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Chicken feed Mar 3, 2016

Jo Macdonald wrote:

Receiving an automatic machine-generated message assigning me a job as if I was a cog in a machine is not the best way to arouse my interest, manage a job or find just the right person to do it, with the time to do it.

Well said. These systems reduce us to the same position as those battery-fed chickens that just receive their food down a pipe at appropriate intervals, until they die. We seem to be getting to a point at which nobody communicates person-to-person with anyone else. In fact I suspect that's the plan.

[Edited at 2016-03-03 08:57 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just received this request: Mar 4, 2016

"Hello Michael,

I hope you are doing well today.

I need your help with a translation task, details are as follows:

Word count: XXX words
Translation deadline: XXX
To be worked on in XTM

Please find the source file attached, take a look, and confirm availability.

I look forward to your reply!

Sincere regards,
XXX"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
My (stock) rep
... See more
"Hello Michael,

I hope you are doing well today.

I need your help with a translation task, details are as follows:

Word count: XXX words
Translation deadline: XXX
To be worked on in XTM

Please find the source file attached, take a look, and confirm availability.

I look forward to your reply!

Sincere regards,
XXX"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *
My (stock) reply:

"Hi Chelsea,

Yes, I can do this for Monday, but I'm afraid I don't use online CAT tools. I can do this for you in memoQ, if you want.

Kind regards,

Michael"

[Edited at 2016-03-04 18:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-03-04 18:21 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I agree, Tom Mar 4, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Well said. These systems reduce us to the same position as those battery-fed chickens that just receive their food down a pipe at appropriate intervals, until they die. We seem to be getting to a point at which nobody communicates person-to-person with anyone else. In fact I suspect that's the plan.

They make life more difficult for us, and I can't believe they make it any easier for clients.

I have one client whom I'd quite happily dump, except they're nice people and they send me quite a lot of work. They use SDL WorldServer, and it stinks. It's hideously complicated, and it sends me job offers several times a week that turn out not to be real jobs when I go to look at them.

I've raised this with them a couple of times, and they just said: "Unless you receive confirmation from a human being, just ignore these offers." Surely that defeats the purpose of having the system in the first place.

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Protemos Jul 25, 2016

Here is another tool made for the same purpose: www.protemos.com.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
MemoQ Jul 26, 2016

Net-Translators wrote:

We are thinking of doing an integration with one of these tools and would like to hear your thoughts/experiences on the following:
- XTRF
- MemSource
- Plunnet
- MemoQ
- XTM
- Or if you heard/had a chance to work with any other tool that you liked…

How user-friendly are these for the translators, and if you had to work on-line or download the files to your computer and work locally.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I am working with Studio, Across, MateCat, Fluency, and MemoQ2015 and believe that MemoQ is the best CAT tool invented up to now. My 2 cents, of course. The second best is Fluency

[Edited at 2016-07-26 09:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-07-26 11:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts on Tools

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »