Thoughts on Tools
Thread poster: Net-Translators
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 19:18
memoQ Jul 26, 2016

Oksana Kondakova wrote:

Unlike others I prefer working online from my browser on any device - smartphone, tablet, laptop. Desktop software is a stone age. It is way more convenient to have everything in the cloud.

Having everything in the cloud doesn't mean that you have to downgrade to working in a browser.

About your favourite memoQ you write:

2. Highly customisable

Not enough for me. This silly mixture of terms and TUs, the very small column. No way to move individual panes to my secondary screen.

4. The easiest way to add new terms

Other CAT tools offer much simpler ways to add new terms. Some of them can trim terms (leading/trailing numbers etc.). And many of them use simpler formats to store terms: plain-text files. Ever seen an exported memoQ termbase? For me, only 2 columns out of nearly 20 are relevant (source term, target term). The rest is just garbage that I have to remove.

memoQ server projects are only nice when you work with memoQ. No way to connect to them from another app. These projects are the only reason why I still license memoQ.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:18
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
MemoQ Jul 26, 2016

I have both SDL Studio and MemoQ and much prefer the speed and simplicity of MemoQ. Also, the responsiveness of their support - an emailed support request (on the rare occasions one is needed) is answered in a few minutes.

That said, while I do occasionally work with MemoQ server, I don't like working online, for the reasons others have stated. In addition, the connection slows down the work.

Finally, I don't find it an advantage to use other people's TMs - they are o
... See more
I have both SDL Studio and MemoQ and much prefer the speed and simplicity of MemoQ. Also, the responsiveness of their support - an emailed support request (on the rare occasions one is needed) is answered in a few minutes.

That said, while I do occasionally work with MemoQ server, I don't like working online, for the reasons others have stated. In addition, the connection slows down the work.

Finally, I don't find it an advantage to use other people's TMs - they are often full of mistakes or not relevant to the job at hand.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts on Tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »