JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:55
English to German
+ ...
Feb 11, 2016

Hi guys,

I really need your help with working on 23.98 fps videos.

When I import a 23.98fps video in Swift and select "23.97 fps" when importing and also change the document settings to 23.976 and then set the swift TC to match the burnt in TV (via tools -> video time code) then, about 11 minutes into the file, the time codes start to deviate from each other badly. Also I have noticed that Swift sometimes "omits" a frame and catches up with it in the next. i.e. it would
... See more
Hi guys,

When I import a 23.98fps video in Swift and select "23.97 fps" when importing and also change the document settings to 23.976 and then set the swift TC to match the burnt in TV (via tools -> video time code) then, about 11 minutes into the file, the time codes start to deviate from each other badly. Also I have noticed that Swift sometimes "omits" a frame and catches up with it in the next. i.e. it would go from 18,19, 19, 21, 22 etc...

If I don't adjust the TCs and start with 00:00:00 then it looks fine on my end, but for the client (using a different software) it results in a big lack as the file proceeds of about 1 second or more where the subtitles aren't lined up. this must have got something to do with the fps settings...

Is this something you could help me with?
I really don't see what I could do differently. This is a big issue for me.
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:55
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Feb 11, 2016

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

Hi guys,

When I import a 23.98fps video in Swift and select "23.97 fps" when importing and also change the document settings to 23.976 and then set the swift TC to match the burnt in TV (via tools -> video time code) then, about 11 minutes into the file, the time codes start to deviate from each other badly. Also I have noticed that Swift sometimes "omits" a frame and catches up with it in the next. i.e. it would go from 18,19, 19, 21, 22 etc...

If I don't adjust the TCs and start with 00:00:00 then it looks fine on my end, but for the client (using a different software) it results in a big lack as the file proceeds of about 1 second or more where the subtitles aren't lined up. this must have got something to do with the fps settings...

Hi Julia,

Please contact SWIFT's development coordinator via email [email protected] . She will forward your complaint to the tech support, and you'll get the answer you need.

Hope this works.

JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 11, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

Hi guys,

Hi Julia,

Please contact SWIFT's development coordinator via email [email protected] . She will forward your complaint to the tech support, and you'll get the answer you need.

Hope this works.

Thank you I emailed him now, but I was hoping that any of you could maybe help as it is rather urgent and I don't know when they will get back to me.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Urgent? Feb 11, 2016

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

I was hoping that any of you could maybe help as it is rather urgent and I don't know when they will get back to me.

I've never used nor seen SWIFT, however I solved all the "time slippage" problems I ever had in subtitling so far (with other software, obviously) by merely converting into and using AVI instead of any other video format.

Maybe this works for you...

JuliaGoellnitz
JuliaGoellnitz
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 11, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

I was hoping that any of you could maybe help as it is rather urgent and I don't know when they will get back to me.

I've never used nor seen SWIFT, however I solved all the "time slippage" problems I ever had in subtitling so far (with other software, obviously) by merely converting into and using AVI instead of any other video format.

Maybe this works for you...

the original video is mp4 but the client already converted it to mpg for me as my swift doesn't do well with mp4 (it doesn't play sound when forwarding on a frame to frame basis)

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Using AVI files Feb 11, 2016

JuliaGoellnitz wrote:

the original video is mp4 but the client already converted it to mpg for me as my swift doesn't do well with mp4 (it doesn't play sound when forwarding on a frame to frame basis)

If you have a good, reliable, loss-less converter, you can convert whatever file is best to AVI. If you use the Xvid MPEG-4 Codec, after you are done, you can simply rename your *.avi as *.mp4, and it will work! (at least this has been working for years already, never had any complaints)

I wonder whether Swift can work directly on AVI files.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 17:55
English to Italian
+ ...
Don't know about swift Feb 12, 2016

But I used to have the same issue with my software (Annotation Edit), and this would only happen with the 23.98/23.976 FPS setting. It turned out… after going crazy for quite some time… that the sync discrepancy between mine and my clients' cued files depended on a DROP FRAME versus NON DROP FRAME setting. It seems in fact that there is no such thing as 23.98 FPS and that if the software sticks with 23.98 while it is in fact a 23.976 these issues arise.

I've found a workaround.
... See more
But I used to have the same issue with my software (Annotation Edit), and this would only happen with the 23.98/23.976 FPS setting. It turned out… after going crazy for quite some time… that the sync discrepancy between mine and my clients' cued files depended on a DROP FRAME versus NON DROP FRAME setting. It seems in fact that there is no such thing as 23.98 FPS and that if the software sticks with 23.98 while it is in fact a 23.976 these issues arise.

I've found a workaround... Whenever I have to work at 23.976 FPS, if by importing my clients' files the subtitles come up messy, I try switching between the DROP FRAME and the NON DROP FRAME settings. I don't know how and why, so don't ask me, but this does the trick every single time.

In my software these features are called "to NDF" and "to DF", maybe you could see if there's something similar in your Swift settings... Good luck. I know the feeling!!!

[Edited at 2016-02-12 21:38 GMT]
Collapse

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
English
+ ...
I'd agree with Monica Feb 24, 2016

Go to preferences/video and check that you've got the frame rate set to 24 drop rather than 24.

There could also be an issue with CODECs. Swift can be very fussy. Depending on the package your client used to convert from mp4 to mpg, there can be problems with playback. The only solution I've found to that so far is to have my own video conversion software that I know exports a file that Swift will work with.

It's getting to the stage where they're going to have to rebui
... See more
Go to preferences/video and check that you've got the frame rate set to 24 drop rather than 24.

There could also be an issue with CODECs. Swift can be very fussy. Depending on the package your client used to convert from mp4 to mpg, there can be problems with playback. The only solution I've found to that so far is to have my own video conversion software that I know exports a file that Swift will work with.

It's getting to the stage where they're going to have to rebuild the Swift package from scratch because even though it "supports" .mov and .mp4 files, it doesn't work well with them and it's often quicker and easier to convert to an mpg file. The other issue is the export formats and their compatibility (or lack thereof) with some of the major Mac-based packages.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
On rebuilding subtitling software Feb 24, 2016

kmtext wrote:

It's getting to the stage where they're going to have to rebuild the Swift package from scratch because even though it "supports" .mov and .mp4 files, it doesn't work well with them and it's often quicker and easier to convert to an mpg file. The other issue is the export formats and their compatibility (or lack thereof) with some of the major Mac-based packages.

I don't know Swift at all, have no opinion on it.

However I have some memories on "rebuilding subtitling software from scratch".

The original Subtitle Workshop v2.51 from Urusoft - Uruguay ruled for years. They launched the v4.0 beta, supposedly rewritten from scratch, however it was never completed, and never worked.

Then Andrey Spiridonov - from Bulgaria, launched his v6.0, successfully replacing v2.51.

Now, while writing this post, I just discovered that Uruworks - supposedly Uruguay, has launched Subtitle Workshop XE - http://www.uruworks.net .

All these are freeware, so the developments are for the user community's benefit.

As Swift it commercial software, its users should hope that a new version of it can be written from scratch by the very same company.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SWIFT technical issues

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »