Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Anyone know an online master's program in translation?
Thread poster: Rob Albon
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 15:33
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
thank you Jan 15, 2006

Many thanks for your answers Rob, and sorry for calling you Ron!

Rob Albon
Rob Albon  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:33
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Online French MA program Jan 16, 2006

Thus far this thread has focused on translation programs, and I have mentioned one or two linguistics programs.

Does anyone know of an online MA (preferably PhD) in French offered in the U.S.?

Thanks,
Rob Albon

Amie Dussurget-Quesnell
Amie Dussurget-Quesnell
New Caledonia
Local time: 16:33
French to English
+ ...
Certificate course from U of Ilinois Jan 24, 2006

Hello,

I just recently joined proz but I've been looking for an on-line program for quite awhile too. Here's an on-line certificate program I found in the US that looks interesting:

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign offers the following online certificate program:

* Professional Development Sequence in Translation, French
This sequence of courses for professional development in translation combines general courses on linguistic
... See more
Hello,

I just recently joined proz but I've been looking for an on-line program for quite awhile too. Here's an on-line certificate program I found in the US that looks interesting:

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign offers the following online certificate program:

* Professional Development Sequence in Translation, French
This sequence of courses for professional development in translation combines general courses on linguistic contrasts between French and English, with a selection of other courses, both general (Theory of Translation, Terminology and Lexicology) and more specific (Commercial French, Scientific and Technical French).

The University of Illinois is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Collapse

Pedro Oliveira
Pedro Oliveira
Portugal
Local time: 05:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
IoL diploma in translation Jun 20, 2006

Hey Rob,
ever considered taking the Iol diploma in translation? As far as I can see it's equivalent to a masters and recognized worldwide. Most Universities offer preparatory post-graduate courses for this exam so it can't be that bad.
I'm actually considering it a viable option for me also.
By the way, can anyone who has take it give an insight, and Rob too, on the exam and subsequent results in the translation market?
Best regards.

kendalchen
kendalchen
German to English
NYU: Online courses, no web registration? Sep 1, 2006

Hello,
I have looked at the NYU certification option twice now, hopefully getting farther this time thanks to some contact information I gleaned from this thread. I do German to English, and it looks like they have a few courses, but here is the place where I get confused: No web registration for an online course? Huh? Wie? Nani?
I will be asking them this question too, but it makes my brain seize up a little. What does that even mean? Do I have to fly to New York to sign up f
... See more
Hello,
I have looked at the NYU certification option twice now, hopefully getting farther this time thanks to some contact information I gleaned from this thread. I do German to English, and it looks like they have a few courses, but here is the place where I get confused: No web registration for an online course? Huh? Wie? Nani?
I will be asking them this question too, but it makes my brain seize up a little. What does that even mean? Do I have to fly to New York to sign up for online classes? I do hope I am just seeing difficulty where there is none, for there is very little out there for my language pair, zero here in Portland (which makes no sense at all; we have DHL/Freightliner, Adidas, and a direct Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt), and I am so hoping to clear the hurdle to get some training already, and moving cross-country is not an option.
I welcome any input on this, for truly, it is baffling to me.
Greetings from Portlandia, Oregonia!
*Kendal*
Collapse

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
registration at NYU Sep 2, 2006

kendalchen wrote:

Hello,
I will be asking them this question too, but it makes my brain seize up a little. What does that even mean? Do I have to fly to New York to sign up for online classes? I do hope I am just seeing difficulty where there is none, for there is very little out there for my language pair, zero here in Portland (which makes no sense at all; we have DHL/Freightliner, Adidas, and a direct Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt), and I am so hoping to clear the hurdle to get some training already, and moving cross-country is not an option.
I welcome any input on this, for truly, it is baffling to me.
Greetings from Portlandia, Oregonia!
*Kendal*

Kendal,
It is not that difficult. You do not actually need to go to New York, but, before taking your first class, you will need to take a language placement test. It can be done by fax. You will then need to call each time to register for classes.
Good luck,
Rob

[Edited at 2006-09-02 12:37]

kendalchen
kendalchen
German to English
Excellent, many thanks! Sep 11, 2006

Thanks for the reply; I figured I was over-complicating things. I have a couple forms, one of which is a request to take their admissions test, so hopefully we'll see how that goes. I like that it's free.
I don't know how much they offer for French as compared to German; have you encountered a problem thus far with there being only a couple classes offered in a given term and you haven't taken the prerequisite yet? It looks like that may be an issue with German, but it seems like Ger
... See more
Thanks for the reply; I figured I was over-complicating things. I have a couple forms, one of which is a request to take their admissions test, so hopefully we'll see how that goes. I like that it's free.
I don't know how much they offer for French as compared to German; have you encountered a problem thus far with there being only a couple classes offered in a given term and you haven't taken the prerequisite yet? It looks like that may be an issue with German, but it seems like German course offerings are like that everywhere. Kind of odd considering that immigrants from Germany comprise, or used to comprise, such a significant portion of the U.S. population.
Greetings from Oregon!
*Kendal*

Rob Albon wrote:

Kendal,
It is not that difficult. You do not actually need to go to New York, but, before taking your first class, you will need to take a language placement test. It can be done by fax. You will then need to call each time to register for classes.
Good luck,
Rob

[Edited at 2006-09-02 12:37]
Collapse

kendalchen
kendalchen
German to English
NYU's German-English translator certification Sep 27, 2006

A disappointing note on my registration process with NYU to take courses in German>English translation. I passed the admissions exam, they sent me a permission form for registration, I faxed in the requested information....and heard nothing. Today I called to follow up and not only had they not gotten my fax, the course I need to take is cancelled due to lack of interest. There have to be eight people minimum to take the class, and to take other classes or more than one class at a time I have... See more
A disappointing note on my registration process with NYU to take courses in German>English translation. I passed the admissions exam, they sent me a permission form for registration, I faxed in the requested information....and heard nothing. Today I called to follow up and not only had they not gotten my fax, the course I need to take is cancelled due to lack of interest. There have to be eight people minimum to take the class, and to take other classes or more than one class at a time I have to have this class, so this is massively discouraging. If there aren't enough people now, who's to say there will be enough next semester? How many of their offered classes get cancelled like this due to lack of registrants?
It is nearly impossible to get certified in my language pair online, and the NYU solution is not going to be a magic bullet at this rate. Why do more schools not offer online coursework in German? Every day I see the new German>English job postings here and I can't even presume to bid on most of them because I need more training.
Collapse

Nagwan Noaman
Nagwan Noaman  Identity Verified
Yemen
Local time: 08:33
Arabic to English
+ ...
any input? Mar 23, 2009

Does anyone have an input on this subject?

Christopher Fitzsimons
Christopher Fitzsimons
Switzerland
Local time: 06:33
Portuguese to English
+ ...
University of Portsmouth MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) Sep 16, 2010

Has anyone had any experience with the MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) at the University of Portsmouth?:
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/postgraduate/MATranslationStudiesDistanceLearning/

I was also considering the MA at UWE by distance learning however the course at Portsmouth seems more appealing to me f
... See more
Has anyone had any experience with the MA Translation Studies (Distance Learning) at the University of Portsmouth?:
http://www.port.ac.uk/courses/coursetypes/postgraduate/MATranslationStudiesDistanceLearning/

I was also considering the MA at UWE by distance learning however the course at Portsmouth seems more appealing to me for two reasons: It would allow me to study two source languages rather than one (FR and DE in my case) and the modules seem more practical and vocational, which is what I'm looking for. I am wondering if anybody has had any experience with this university and course? The course is also offered as a PGCert/PgDip.
Collapse

Rob Albon
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
NYU to restart MA in translation fall 2011 Sep 16, 2010

According to Milena Savona, director of the program, it will start up again in fall 2011.

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:33
Member (2009)
German to English
@ Christopher see other forum posts Sep 16, 2010

The Portsmouth course is discussed in the following threads

... See more
The Portsmouth course is discussed in the following threads

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/177494-ma_in_translation_via_distance_learning.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_the_uk/159379-ma_translation_in_the_uk.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/professional_development/155563-choosing_a_postgrad_uk.html

I too am considering Portsmouth to do the MA by distance learning.

My reasons for choosing Portsmouth over the other unis who currently offer an MA by distance learning (currently UWE and Birmingham I think)

good range of practical business orientated modules
flexible structure, can take up to 5 years to complete if needed in extenuating circumstances
payments in instalments over each year when you choose your modules
only about an hour and a half away if I need to visit the campus
and as a bonus plus point, its not that expensive

I also had a long chat with the admissions tutor for the course and she was very helpful.

Louisa
Collapse

Christopher Fitzsimons
Christopher Fitzsimons
Switzerland
Portuguese to English
+ ...
@Louisa Sep 17, 2010

Many thanks for this, I really appreciate it.
The course seems to come highly recommended; I've more or less made up my mind now to do it. Perhaps we'll be (online) class mates!

Mirja Maletzki
Mirja Maletzki  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:33
Korean to German
+ ...
NYU MS Sep 19, 2010

It seems NYU offers an online MS in Translation.

Can anyone tell me where the difference is to an MA? Would you recommend doing an MS?

Christi Bishop Vergez
Christi Bishop Vergez
France
French to English
Online M.S. in Translation with NYU Dec 3, 2010

Hello everyone,
Apparently a new M.S. in Translation program is in the works for next year at NYU.
I contacted an old college friend of mine who teaches at NYU. He forwarded the following link to me:

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/foreign-languages/graduate-programs/ms-translation/curriculum.html... See more
Hello everyone,
Apparently a new M.S. in Translation program is in the works for next year at NYU.
I contacted an old college friend of mine who teaches at NYU. He forwarded the following link to me:

http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/foreign-languages/graduate-programs/ms-translation/curriculum.html

If you're interested in signing up, click on "Admissions" on the left of the page.

It looks like a great program for French and Spanish translators.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know an online master's program in translation?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »