Stephanie Busch
Stephanie Busch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:28
English to German
+ ...
@Robert: Time will tell Oct 1, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

..... you wrote: '...it shows that TM-Town is an avenue that can lead to business, as it has done in my case.'

Good for you, and I do believe it can, but please see my earlier thread in this forum, I doubt whether the time I put into it to make perfect TM's will pay back?

Only time will tell you that, Robert.

I didn't actually expect to be found and contacted that way, not being a technical translator.

Therefore I didn't put huge amounts of time and effort into it; I just uploaded those TMs I that I was comfortable sharing, and then put TM-Town out of my mind and went on doing something else.

Good luck everyone!

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
But the TMs are not shared Oct 1, 2016

Stephanie Busch wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

..... you wrote: '...it shows that TM-Town is an avenue that can lead to business, as it has done in my case.'

Good for you, and I do believe it can, but please see my earlier thread in this forum, I doubt whether the time I put into it to make perfect TM's will pay back?

Only time will tell you that, Robert.

I didn't actually expect to be found and contacted that way, not being a technical translator.

Therefore I didn't put huge amounts of time and effort into it; I just uploaded those TMs I that I was comfortable sharing, and then put TM-Town out of my mind and went on doing something else.

Good luck everyone!

are they?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I thought that the idea was that... Oct 1, 2016

clients could use the TMs in TMTown to find matches with uploaded TMs and thus find translators who had worked on projects similar to the one they need translated?

So, if I search the database for Walmart, BMW or the name of a company's CEO, I would be able to locate all translators who have done work for those clients?

If I'm an agency and my client is COMPANYx and I search the database for COMPANYx, would I want to work with that translator knowing that my client's da
... See more
clients could use the TMs in TMTown to find matches with uploaded TMs and thus find translators who had worked on projects similar to the one they need translated?

So, if I search the database for Walmart, BMW or the name of a company's CEO, I would be able to locate all translators who have done work for those clients?

If I'm an agency and my client is COMPANYx and I search the database for COMPANYx, would I want to work with that translator knowing that my client's data will be uploaded to a third party?

If not, then what is the purpose of uploading TMs?

[Edited at 2016-10-01 18:37 GMT]
Collapse

Peter Leeflang
Manuella Lange

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
a waste of time Oct 1, 2016

I am currently ranked 4th in the medical translation field from English into Italian and haven't received a single message in 5 months

Peter Leeflang
Anne Louise

..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 11:28
No public sharing of TMs Oct 1, 2016

@Stephanie - thank you for sharing your experience. I'm happy to hear that you found a good client!

@Alvaro - correct. TMs are not publicly shared. All documents you upload are private (only you can view them) and it is impossible to make them public.

@LegalTransform

LegalTransform wrote:

I thought that the idea was that...

If I'm an agency and my client is COMPANYx and I search the database for COMPANYx, would I want to work with that translator knowing that my client's data will be uploaded to a third party?

If not, then what is the purpose of uploading TMs?

Clients can search a text and find translators who have worked on similar material in the past. However, the content of the material a translator has uploaded is never revealed. The search engine only returns a "Similarity score".

If a visitor attempts to search using a short text (i.e. only one sentence or only one word) a warning pops up "The text you entered is short. The more text you include from your source document, the better Nakōdo can match. Very short excerpts are unlikely to provide reliable matches.".

TM-Town has various protections built in so that the scenario you outlined can be avoided:

1) Nakōdo Blacklist tool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrK10LKn2uE). You can blacklist terms that you do not want to be searched on (i.e. company name, etc.)

2) Confidential Information Redaction tool (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8x1F-DYMWA). You can easily redact confidential terms from a document you upload.

3) Deshi (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCG_ow4240) - You can analyze your TM offline and redact any confidential terms from it, and only the analysis file is sent to TM-Town.

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Not sure if it works and how Oct 1, 2016

If I understand it correctly, I am ranked first for medical EN-DE. I haven't received a single job yet through TM-Town. My profile in TM-Town ranks quite well in Google searches, so maybe sooner or later it might deliver.

Being quite conservative in certain aspects I prefer to stick to things that do work and what definitely works is a good ProZ profile (even if my definition of a good profile might differ from what was presented here 3 days ago).

I always wondered why
... See more
If I understand it correctly, I am ranked first for medical EN-DE. I haven't received a single job yet through TM-Town. My profile in TM-Town ranks quite well in Google searches, so maybe sooner or later it might deliver.

Being quite conservative in certain aspects I prefer to stick to things that do work and what definitely works is a good ProZ profile (even if my definition of a good profile might differ from what was presented here 3 days ago).

I always wondered why there are only so few of us using the more advanced possibilities of the ProZ profiles and I actually see no reason to cough up additional money for features that I do not fully understand.
Collapse

Peter Leeflang
Anne Louise

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
Any luck anyone? Aug 18, 2018

I haven't received a single message, not even spam, from this TM thing.

[Edited at 2018-08-18 17:44 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Deafening silence Aug 18, 2018

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno wrote:

I haven't received a single message, not even spam, from this TM thing.

No change since my last post, from 2 years ago...

Peter Leeflang
Anne Louise
Manuella Lange

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 11:28
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Nope Aug 19, 2018

Same here, despite ranking well for my language pair and having a complete profile. Well, at least the subscription is now offered with ProZ Plus.

No blame on the creators though, the idea of matching the best suited translators to projects in itself is interesting. It's all about marketing and sales in the end, I guess.

Anne Louise
Manuella Lange

Peter Leeflang
Peter Leeflang  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
it has no value for me Aug 19, 2018

TM-town had zero impact on my business beyond one or two unqualified potential customers contacting me quite a while ago and that went nowhere. My membership there started a couple of years ago, before Proz took over.

The effort to merely establish a presence AND maintain it (including TMs) and the iffy nature of sharing one's confidential translations online, made me abandon putting any time in this. The ROI is not there for me.

Also, there is no real transparency what
... See more
TM-town had zero impact on my business beyond one or two unqualified potential customers contacting me quite a while ago and that went nowhere. My membership there started a couple of years ago, before Proz took over.

The effort to merely establish a presence AND maintain it (including TMs) and the iffy nature of sharing one's confidential translations online, made me abandon putting any time in this. The ROI is not there for me.

Also, there is no real transparency what one's benefit would be based on one's effort. It is merely a vague benefit promise, a puig in the poke.

Another aspect I could do nothing with was that there is no evidence that potential customers look for translators the way the owners intend it to.

Furthermore, I'm not interested in appearing high or higher with the rest of our herd in a general ranking. On the contrary, I'm interested in appearing in a individualized manner for the very specific needs a customer has since I have a very unique profile that will fit specific jobs. TM-town does not rank translators per job based on job specs, nor is there any matching based on specs known about the customer, such as whether they have lots or little paperwork, what their payment terms are, whether they work with end customers or are an intermediary, their payment behavior etc. and it does not seem to provide potential customers with special tools to share otherwise not otherwise available data about them to get better matches than without.

Getting translators and customers matched is not simply a translation test and rate matter. Better outcomes require better overall individualized matches and those require sharing more about one another, on both sides, since this is a trade not a one-sided deal.

Our available time to market ourselves is very limited, since in the end we need most time to produce translations that get paid not unpaid marketing. Services like TM-town that are supposed to take over our marketing for a fee should not cost us more work but less and this is especially applicable with those already having busy schedules.

When one is busy one seeks first freeing up more time and only then more business to use that time with. Otherwise one cannibalizes one's time for more business one could not accommodate anyway.

[Edited at 2018-08-19 12:25 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-08-19 12:28 GMT]
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Anne Louise
Manuella Lange

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
This would be nice, even more so on ProZ... Aug 19, 2018

Peter Leeflang wrote:

TM-town does not rank translators per job based on job specs, nor is there any matching based on specs known about the customer, such as whether they have lots or little paperwork, what their payment terms are, whether they work with end customers or are an intermediary, their payment behavior etc. and it does not seem to provide potential customers with special tools to share otherwise not otherwise available data about them to get better matches than without.

Getting translators and customers matched is not simply a translation test and rate matter. Better outcomes require better overall individualized matches and those require sharing more about one another, on both sides, since this is a trade not a one-sided deal.

... although that would probably scare off 90% of the current client base...

Peter Leeflang
Peter Leeflang  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
French to English
+ ...
theory Aug 20, 2018

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Peter Leeflang wrote:

TM-town does not rank translators per job based on job specs, nor is there any matching based on specs known about the customer, such as whether they have lots or little paperwork, what their payment terms are, whether they work with end customers or are an intermediary, their payment behavior etc. and it does not seem to provide potential customers with special tools to share otherwise not otherwise available data about them to get better matches than without.

That is a theory. It was never tried.

Also, is it better to instead scare off the translators?

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Commercial viability Aug 21, 2018

Peter Leeflang wrote:

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Peter Leeflang wrote:

That is a theory. It was never tried.

Also, is it better to instead scare off the translators?

As I said, I would personally like to see that. I think it was never tried before, and will never be, because this platform and TM-Town aren't evidently born and geared to be "exclusive" platforms for carefully selected clients and service providers, but the exact opposite.

In other words, my "theory" is that most clients wouldn't really like the transparency you and I both advocate, and with fewer clients using them, both services would lose appeal to most service providers, which would in turn mean less profits for the people operating these platforms, and considering their evolution throughout the years, I'm pretty sure they don't want that, even though that would obviously result in a much healthier and safer environment for users on both ends.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Any update on TM-Town since 2018? Jun 28, 2021

It seems TM-Town is a still-born project. Any different opinions from colleagues registered there?

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Wouldn't wonder... Jun 28, 2021

Vladimir Pochinov wrote:

It seems TM-Town is a still-born project. Any different opinions from colleagues registered there?

...if that only worked good for DeepL, with all the nice TMs provided in the online version of TM town.

Daryo

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is TM-Town "working" for you?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »