Thread poster: Marta Muizniece
Marta Muizniece
Marta Muizniece
Latvia
Local time: 09:14
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 28, 2015

I've been working on a rather big project for the last 3 days and today I found out that the translation I did of two files has disappeared. Now I know that Transit automatically creates a backup copy every 5-10 minutes but how I do access it?
I never closed the program and my laptop was never fully turned off but up until now I could continue working where I left off with all the changes I've made still there. So what happened this time, is there any way how to get back to that old trans
... See more
I've been working on a rather big project for the last 3 days and today I found out that the translation I did of two files has disappeared. Now I know that Transit automatically creates a backup copy every 5-10 minutes but how I do access it?
I never closed the program and my laptop was never fully turned off but up until now I could continue working where I left off with all the changes I've made still there. So what happened this time, is there any way how to get back to that old translation instead of doing it all over again?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

oerjan
oerjan
Local time: 08:14
German to Swedish
backup file Jun 29, 2015

Sadly I think you will not have much advantage from the backup file. IIUC the backup reflects the state of the project from the last time it was saved, e.g. by the automatic backup function. It´s ment to rescue your job in case of crash and is deleted when you exit normally.

If you have not shut down at all you could take a copy of the entire project (or at least the target language files) and then try to step backwards with Ctrl-Z. But I´m not sure how many steps the system remem
... See more
Sadly I think you will not have much advantage from the backup file. IIUC the backup reflects the state of the project from the last time it was saved, e.g. by the automatic backup function. It´s ment to rescue your job in case of crash and is deleted when you exit normally.

If you have not shut down at all you could take a copy of the entire project (or at least the target language files) and then try to step backwards with Ctrl-Z. But I´m not sure how many steps the system remembers.
FWIW,
Örjan
PS. You do not happen to have any regular backup (outside Transit) you could use?
Collapse

Iris Kleinophorst
Iris Kleinophorst  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to German
+ ...
Happens even to experienced Transit users Jun 30, 2015

Hi

It probably is not much of a consolation. But I lost two almost finished translations in the past couple of months this way. And I've been using Transit almost exclusively for the past 13 years.

I have started to regularly export projects I am working on. This way I would at least have a partially finished Word file if I lost the translation again. However, this does not work for projects that you got sent as PPF package.

I also tried to regularly use th
... See more
Hi

It probably is not much of a consolation. But I lost two almost finished translations in the past couple of months this way. And I've been using Transit almost exclusively for the past 13 years.

I have started to regularly export projects I am working on. This way I would at least have a partially finished Word file if I lost the translation again. However, this does not work for projects that you got sent as PPF package.

I also tried to regularly use the reference material button on the bottom and copy the files to the reference file folder. But this keeps confusing me when I look up Fuzzies or Concordance, so I do not do this now.

Have a mirrored drive would not help either, as this mirrors the actual state of the file you are working on. Daily backups only reflect the last backup state (which might have been as long as 24 hours ago).

How do other Transit user solve this problem? What kind of backup system outside Transit do you use, Örjan?

Regards
Iris
Collapse

oerjan
oerjan
German to Swedish
backup? Jun 30, 2015

Hi,
I understood that a very specific part of the project was lost and with a bit of luck that part may have been in the "normal" backup. It was just a shot in the dark.
If this is recurrent problem, I´d suggest a more frequent "normal" backup of the projects folder or a little automatic script that renames the backup files incrementally so that they stay accessible.
But to me this has not happened very often during the years.
Best regards
Örjan
PS. Please
... See more
Hi,
I understood that a very specific part of the project was lost and with a bit of luck that part may have been in the "normal" backup. It was just a shot in the dark.
If this is recurrent problem, I´d suggest a more frequent "normal" backup of the projects folder or a little automatic script that renames the backup files incrementally so that they stay accessible.
But to me this has not happened very often during the years.
Best regards
Örjan
PS. Please do not ask after my backup system, I´d be to embarrassed to answer that.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation in NXT lost!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »