The magic number is EUR 0.15: translator rate survey released in Germany

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The magic number is EUR 0.15: translator rate survey released in Germany".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:45
Russian to English
+ ...
Thanks Feb 4, 2016

for posting this. Hard to believe, but good to know.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:45
English to French
+ ...
SFT's results are available Feb 5, 2016

You can compare with SFT's results:
http://www.sft.fr/clients/sft/telechargements/news/fichier/1730_f1_2015_resultats_preliminaires.pdf

They are not very different.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Skewed towards direct client translators Feb 5, 2016

The results of this survey does not distinguish between agency translators and direct client translators, and a sizeable chunk of their respondents were direct client translators.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
What is magic about €0.15? Feb 5, 2016

@ Samuel: I assume that that the ommission of agencies is the blogger's error: Agencies were certainly included as one of the client categories in the survey published at the end of 2008. Agencies are also included as a client category in the SFT survey.

But my primary reaction is the same as Samuel's = What is this guy talking about? Yes, I agree with the fact that the German survey found €0.15 per word to be the average fee in many language pairs in the case of projects for privat
... See more
@ Samuel: I assume that that the ommission of agencies is the blogger's error: Agencies were certainly included as one of the client categories in the survey published at the end of 2008. Agencies are also included as a client category in the SFT survey.

But my primary reaction is the same as Samuel's = What is this guy talking about? Yes, I agree with the fact that the German survey found €0.15 per word to be the average fee in many language pairs in the case of projects for private-sector direct clients. But what conclusion does the blogger want to draw from this fact?
If we are talking about private-sector direct clients that are a reasonably good match for a given established translator, then €0.15 per word is low. If we are talking about generalists that happen to hook up with and then hang on to a given direct client, then €0.15 might be fairly high. I also can't imagine (as is suggested at the end of the blog post) that there are really major translation agencies out there offering prices that low and able to stay in business.
The SFT survey at least lists the highest and lowest fees given by their respondents (although without any kind of further information about the distribution of rates, this is of pretty limited use). Information about high rates seems much more relevant to me than average rates.
Collapse

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Maria S. Loose, LL.M.  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
The omission of agency clients Feb 5, 2016

is not the blogger's error. I bought the book and was very surprised to see that it doesn't contain agency rates. It only contains rates for direct clients, who are split up in various categories (government agencies and/or courts, commercial companies, private persons, colleagues)

Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
I'm amazed Feb 5, 2016

90% of the translation agencies I've contacted don't accept a translation rate higher than 0,07-0,08€ per source word in the medical field! 0,07-0,08€ per source word in the medical field, not 0,15€

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
Not agencies!!! Feb 5, 2016

The EUR 0.15 refers to direct clients, not agencies, and is the median per word rate for the language pair DE>EN in the categories "government agencies/courts" and "commercial companies".

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat Feb 8, 2016

As I've mentioned on other similar threads, the way I see it, if someone charging 15cents/wd subsequently allows discounts for repetitions or fuzzy matches or whatever, they may end up earning something like €0,10 in real terms. So, all in all it seems to be just another case of "lies, damn lies and statistics"...

[Edited at 2016-02-08 09:16 GMT]

PS: Anecdotally, a colleague who translates from German to English tells me that rates are being increasingly squeezed in his p
... See more
As I've mentioned on other similar threads, the way I see it, if someone charging 15cents/wd subsequently allows discounts for repetitions or fuzzy matches or whatever, they may end up earning something like €0,10 in real terms. So, all in all it seems to be just another case of "lies, damn lies and statistics"...

[Edited at 2016-02-08 09:16 GMT]

PS: Anecdotally, a colleague who translates from German to English tells me that rates are being increasingly squeezed in his pair. In fact, he's translating from Danish as well now to pick up the slack.

PPS: Don't they usually charge per line rather than per word in Germany anyway?

[Edited at 2016-02-08 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
per line and per word Feb 8, 2016

The book published by the German Translators' Association includes data on per line rates as well as on per word rates.

[Edited at 2016-02-08 15:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-08 15:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-08 15:56 GMT]

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
in Germany? Feb 8, 2016

Is this just for translators living in Germany?

Maria S. Loose, LL.M.
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
yes Feb 8, 2016

It's only for translators living in Germany.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The magic number is EUR 0.15: translator rate survey released in Germany

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »