The subtle art of translating foreign fiction

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "The subtle art of translating foreign fiction".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
French to English
Worth a read Jul 29, 2016

Thanks for flagging this article - it includes interviews with Edith Grossman, Ann Goldstein, Deborah Smith, and more current 'stars' in literary translation, all of whom appear to be surprised by their success and who touch on how they got started and what their process is. Granted it's all a bit abbreviated, but a good read nonetheless.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:00
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Good read Jul 29, 2016

I just love what George Szirtes says: ‘No one will ever read you as closely as your translator does’...

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:00
Serbian to English
+ ...
touché Jul 30, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

I just love what George Szirtes says: ‘No one will ever read you as closely as your translator does’...

Touché!

Or, sometimes even more closely than the author himself - I once asked for a clarification to be told by the author: "I missed that, I should've reread it once more!"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The subtle art of translating foreign fiction

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »