Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Who said sexism is dead? Sep 26, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Finally, for those who imagine a paunchy spinster wearing a military uniform and roaring orders over a microphone, no! Envision an ever-pleasant Cameron Diaz-type with a husband, a son, and a life; that's more like her.

I'm so glad for you. I do hate working for anyone who doesn't bear a close resemblance to a Hollywood actor.

[Edited at 2016-09-26 03:42 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Clarification Sep 26, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

Finally, for those who imagine a paunchy spinster wearing a military uniform and roaring orders over a microphone, no! Envision an ever-pleasant Cameron Diaz-type with a husband, a son, and a life; that's more like her.

I'm so glad for you. I do hate working for anyone who doesn't bear a close resemblance to a Hollywood actor.

She doesn't resemble Cameron Diaz at all. Being considerably shorter (5'4", I guess), her countenance resembles many of the roles assigned to Diaz. I just wanted to make it clear that to lead translating troops from a distance like this, one does not have to match the all-powerful military workaholic stereotype, yelling orders at everyone.

I see many freelance translators complaining about some military-style commanding PMs, yet I have the pleasure of NOT working for any of these. All PMs I work with - at least the frequent ones - are very pleasant people.

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
Dutch to English
+ ...
Just to be clear Sep 26, 2016

So you are equating unmarried women with no children (and less-than-perfect figures) with an unpleasant, militaristic way of working?

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
The other way around Sep 26, 2016

Rachel Waddington wrote:

So you are equating unmarried women with no children (and less-than-perfect figures) with an unpleasant, militaristic way of working?

I am saying that women aspiring at management don't have to give up on glamour, having a family, a life, whatever, unless they deliberately prefer to.

A snippet from my life history between marriages. By coincidence, once I dated three psychologists in a row. A close friend of mine, a professor in Psychology (one of these three had been a student of hers), she told me to stop dating psychologists, "They are all crazy, starting with me! Try one from the math sciences for a change." So my next was a Chemistry teacher, pulchritude not being among her high scores, who taught me that women are multitasking, while men are not. She said that she could stir food cooking on the stove with her left hand, score her students' tests with her right one, and still chat with her friends on the speakerphone, all at the same time. I reckon no man could do this.

So there is no reason for men to project a military male stereotype upon a multitasking woman. Men usually must focus on one thing at a time. My wife often overlooks that.

This is what I meant. Women know that; men often forget that women are multitasking.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
English to German
Hm? Sep 26, 2016

Rachel Waddington wrote:

I am saying that women aspiring at management don't have to give up on glamour, having a family, a life, whatever, unless they deliberately prefer to.

A snippet from my life history between marriages. By coincidence, once I dated three psychologists in a row. A close friend of mine, a professor in Psychology (one of these three had been a student of hers), she told me to stop dating psychologists, "They are all crazy, starting with me! Try one from the math sciences for a change." So my next was a Chemistry teacher, pulchritude not being among her high scores, who taught me that women are multitasking, while men are not. She said that she could stir food cooking on the stove with her left hand, score her students' tests with her right one, and still chat with her friends on the speakerphone, all at the same time. I reckon no man could do this.

So there is no reason for men to project a military male stereotype upon a multitasking woman. Men usually must focus on one thing at a time. My wife often overlooks that.

This is what I meant. Women know that; men often forget that women are multitasking.

I still don't understand how this explains your negative description of unmarried women and your assumption that good looking women are happy, but incapable ... and men can't multitask - I just can't see the connection?

[Edited at 2016-09-26 14:29 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
This is going far astray Sep 26, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

I still don't understand how this explains your negative description of unmarried women and your assumption that good looking women are happy, but incapable - men are not mentioned.

I merely meant that she didn't give up on anything in life to do all that.
A non-multitasking man might have had to. A few women do, but it's their choice.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Big team for large jobs with miraculous deadlines

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »