Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Why does the EU only want translators with THREE languages, not TWO?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:28
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jul 25, 2014

Where translators are also used as interpreters (the notion that these two are separate professions largely comes from the two different nouns in English, which is not the same in other languages), a multingual public employer may want all people to work in several pairs for convenience. I'm not sure to what extent a native speaker of, say, Greek would be used by the EU for EnglishFrench interpreting (not that I would be extremely surprised by that), but EnglishGreek AND FrenchGreek is a whole d... See more
Where translators are also used as interpreters (the notion that these two are separate professions largely comes from the two different nouns in English, which is not the same in other languages), a multingual public employer may want all people to work in several pairs for convenience. I'm not sure to what extent a native speaker of, say, Greek would be used by the EU for EnglishFrench interpreting (not that I would be extremely surprised by that), but EnglishGreek AND FrenchGreek is a whole different story.

For employees who are solely translators (of written texts), they may still want to capitalize on familiarity with the relevant subject matters, conventions and requirements and so on.

For rarer languages, it may be more economic to have a smaller double-hatting team than a crowd of part-time employees.

Otherwise they may be less than thoughtful in just simply presuming that translators must operate in several languages each.

Besides, applied linguistics is not an area blessed with conventional intelligence and rational thinking. For example:

— No problem translating from six different foreign languages into one native's language (how many B languages can one realistically have? how frequent are exceptions). But don't you dare work in just two pairs: foreign-to-native and native-to-foreign.

— Translators are not supposed to work into a non-native language, but interpreters need to for natural or obvious reasons. Seriously? It's possible to hire two one-way target-native interpreters, AND there are benefits of translating both ways, just like interpreting. But nope. 'Professional' standards.

— Gotta be target-native to translate because of nuance or something. But people translating out of languages they're B2/C1 is not a problem. Nuance, my foot.

And so on and so forth. Hard to expect too much rational thinking in a field like this one.
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jobs ... Jul 25, 2014

... for the boys/girls?

I applied for the EU in the dim and distant past. Many, many hoops to jump through, as others have said, and I was informed that if you don't have a relation/friend/mentor etc. working there already, forget it, although maybe Teresa Borges, with hands-on experience of the issue, could comment on this (?).

"University degrees are secondary - just come over to Brussels and make yourself known to someone", was one local Euro MP's quoted advice on t
... See more
... for the boys/girls?

I applied for the EU in the dim and distant past. Many, many hoops to jump through, as others have said, and I was informed that if you don't have a relation/friend/mentor etc. working there already, forget it, although maybe Teresa Borges, with hands-on experience of the issue, could comment on this (?).

"University degrees are secondary - just come over to Brussels and make yourself known to someone", was one local Euro MP's quoted advice on the subject at that time. I was told - after 18 months - that I had failed the translation test in my stronger language, and had passed the test in my weaker combination.

Mervyn
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's not true! Jul 25, 2014

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... for the boys/girls?

"University degrees are secondary - just come over to Brussels and make yourself known to someone", was one local Euro MP's quoted advice on the subject at that time. I was told - after 18 months - that I had failed the translation test in my stronger language, and had passed the test in my weaker combination.

Mervyn

It's not true and it does infuriate me. When I applied I knew nobody! Anyway, all the (many) written tests are anonymous and in my case even after being in the shortlist of the 15 lucky few (we were more than 20,000 potential candidates) who overcame all the hurdles (psychological tests, general culture tests, EU knowledge tests, translation tests, interview…) I had to wait 3 long years to be called...

[Edited at 2014-07-25 17:30 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Jul 25, 2014

OK Teresa, thanks. If you say so, I'll believe you. I'm the cynical kind.
Mervyn

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You cannot do without French Aug 12, 2014

English is needed by default. But did you know that in Luxembourg, at the Court of Justice of the European Union, and the remainder of the “associated” Courts, the language of the judgments, all judgments, is French? Not all judges are fluent in French, so legal secretaries draft judgments and then these judgments are translated into the rest of the EU official languages, from French! No exceptions.

I guess the reason they ask the translators to have at least two source languag
... See more
English is needed by default. But did you know that in Luxembourg, at the Court of Justice of the European Union, and the remainder of the “associated” Courts, the language of the judgments, all judgments, is French? Not all judges are fluent in French, so legal secretaries draft judgments and then these judgments are translated into the rest of the EU official languages, from French! No exceptions.

I guess the reason they ask the translators to have at least two source languages is that you cannot really make it without English and French.

When I was visiting the Court in Luxembourg, I saw this huge tower just next to the Court building. It was densely populated with lawyer linguists, from all over the Europe. This tower really dwarfs the Court building.

[Edited at 2014-08-12 12:24 GMT]
Collapse

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Who has a perfect command of any language? Aug 12, 2014

Do you have a perfect command of ...

Of course I don't, and I suspect that no one else does either. I was totally immersed in U.S. English for fifty-two years, but my English is not perfect and it never will be. I wish folks would stop referring to "perfect command." Why not simply use a system like the CEFR and refer to C2 level proficiency?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Tower of Babel! Aug 12, 2014

Merab Dekano wrote:

I guess the reason they ask the translators to have at least two source languages is that you cannot really make it without English and French.

When I was visiting the Court in Luxembourg, I saw this huge tower just next to the Court building. It was densely populated with lawyer linguists, from all over the Europe. This tower really dwarfs the Court building.

Interesting point Merab!

Michael

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Are you sure? Aug 12, 2014

Merab Dekano wrote:

But did you know that in Luxembourg, at the Court of Justice of the European Union, and the remainder of the “associated” Courts, the language of the judgments, all judgments, is French? Not all judges are fluent in French, so legal secretaries draft judgments and then these judgments are translated into the rest of the EU official languages, from French! No exceptions.

The Court of Justice has one judge per EU Member State. I do have serious doubts that draft judgements are drawn up by legal secretaries... The Court of Justice of the European Union is a multilingual institution. Its language arrangements have no equivalent in any other court in the world, since each of the official languages of the European Union can be the language of a case. The Court is required to observe the principle of multilingualism in full, because of the need to communicate with the parties in the language of the proceedings and to ensure that its case-law is disseminated throughout the Member States.

PS I did work as in-house translator at an EU institution for 20 years but never at the Court of Justice...

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am Aug 12, 2014

It sounds very exciting, Teresa. You did have a nice job. 20 years of service at an institution is huge experience.

I studied EU law at the University of Leicester and we had a Court visit. We attended the actual court session relating to an IP case involving a Danish company (cannot recall details now). You are right, the attorneys spoke their respective native languages and there was interpretation service in place
... See more
It sounds very exciting, Teresa. You did have a nice job. 20 years of service at an institution is huge experience.

I studied EU law at the University of Leicester and we had a Court visit. We attended the actual court session relating to an IP case involving a Danish company (cannot recall details now). You are right, the attorneys spoke their respective native languages and there was interpretation service in place (by the way, not “top” level one, as there was legal terminology involved and the interpreters clearly did not have legal background). Now, the written proceedings are different story. It is all in French.

I personally spoke to a legal secretary who told me judges brief them on the case structure, strategy, policies or politics. Then it is legal secretary’s job to draft the case in “perfect” French. I too was amazed.

Not that Wikipedia is an authority, but I quote it anyway: “However the working language of the court is French and it is in this language that the judges deliberate…” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Court_of_Justice). I can search for more reliable source of information, but all indicate that the guy was not lying.

[Edited at 2014-08-12 23:43 GMT]
Collapse

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'm retired now... Aug 13, 2014

Never heard of such a thing and it sounds completely "out of touch" with what was my experience in the EU (Council, Parliament, EESC, Commitee of the Regions).

Inge Luus
Inge Luus  Identity Verified
South Africa
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
It's true about legal secretaries drafting judgements... Aug 13, 2014

For interest, here is a link to a job advert for a legal secretary at the European Court of Justice:

http://eutopialaw.com/2013/02/06/vacancy-legal-secretary-referendaire-to-judge-vajda-at-the-european-court-of-justice-luxembourg/

Some short excerpts:
"The post involves providi
... See more
For interest, here is a link to a job advert for a legal secretary at the European Court of Justice:

http://eutopialaw.com/2013/02/06/vacancy-legal-secretary-referendaire-to-judge-vajda-at-the-european-court-of-justice-luxembourg/

Some short excerpts:
"The post involves providing advice on both substantive and procedural points of law arising in cases before the CJEU to Judge Vajda, preparing drafts of judgments and procedural documents, as well as contributing to the deliberations of the Court through written notes.

The internal working language of the CJEU being French, all written work will have to be carried out almost exclusively in French."

"Applicants should be qualified to practise law or have taught law full time at
university level, he fluent in both English and French, and be fully conversant with
European Union law."

So, it is true that legal secretaries (qualified lawyers or law lecturers) draft the judgements in French at the CJEU.
Collapse

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always learning, thanks! Aug 13, 2014

Inge Luus wrote:

Some short excerpts:
"The post involves providing advice on both substantive and procedural points of law arising in cases before the CJEU to Judge Vajda, preparing drafts of judgments and procedural documents, as well as contributing to the deliberations of the Court through written notes.

The internal working language of the CJEU being French, all written work will have to be carried out almost exclusively in French."

"Applicants should be qualified to practise law or have taught law full time at
university level, he fluent in both English and French, and be fully conversant with
European Union law."

So, it is true that legal secretaries (qualified lawyers or law lecturers) draft the judgements in French at the CJEU.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does the EU only want translators with THREE languages, not TWO?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »