How effective or valid are LQA quality ratings of translations?
Thread poster: John Fossey
John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:28
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2014

There are several LQA's - Linguistic Quality Assurance models used to assess the quality of translations and assign a numerical value to their quality. These include such standards as LISA, TAUS and SAE J2450, plus a handful of proprietary standards. I am interested to know how effective or valid they are in rating the quality of translations and the experiences people have had with them.

[Edited at 2014-10-25 16:45 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:28
Chinese to English
Not sure I've ever seen them used consistently Oct 27, 2014

I've seen a couple of systems whereby we were supposed to look for numbers of serious/minor errors, and they were given a weighting (I remember one system was 5 for a serious error, 1 for a minor error). Is that the kind of thing you mean?

The agencies I saw using them didn't seem to be consistent in their use. In particular, when a translation was bad, and the system gave a corresponding bad numerical value, the agency did not always follow through. "Automatic rejects" were not aut
... See more
I've seen a couple of systems whereby we were supposed to look for numbers of serious/minor errors, and they were given a weighting (I remember one system was 5 for a serious error, 1 for a minor error). Is that the kind of thing you mean?

The agencies I saw using them didn't seem to be consistent in their use. In particular, when a translation was bad, and the system gave a corresponding bad numerical value, the agency did not always follow through. "Automatic rejects" were not automatically rejected.

In theory they seem quite good to me, though you'd have to remember that they are statistical tools, and of limited value for assessing single pieces of work.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How effective or valid are LQA quality ratings of translations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »