Thread poster: MGlez
MGlez
MGlez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 23, 2014

I am working on a sworn translation from Spanish into English. In the source document there is a misspelled word as it says trasero (backside) instead of trastero (storage room). As talking about a sworn translation I think I should write a translor's note but I have no idea how to do it. Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:23
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some ideas Nov 23, 2014

Can you first contact the client to clarify what really should stay there? If this is not possible, then go with a note either between brackets right after the word, offering a concise and precise explanation, or perhaps with an asterisk on the word and explanation at the page bottom.

Hope this helps.

MGlez
MGlez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to... Nov 23, 2014

Thank you Lingua,

I have already contacted the client, the word appears in the description of a house basement and there is no doubt it is "trastero" instead of "trasero".

I just don't know how to write it to make it sound ggod.
"There is a misspelling in the source document : the word trasero should be trastero".

I don't know...

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some options Nov 23, 2014

If the text author confirmed it was a typo, then just disregard it?

Otherwise: (original text typo "backside"-trasero)

MGlez
MGlez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Like your suggestion Nov 23, 2014

The client is not the text author, he takes part on the purchase contract.

I like your suggestion.
Thank you!

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:23
Russian to English
+ ...
"There might be"--I think you should say: Nov 23, 2014

'there might be' or "may be' instead of "there is'. Neither the client nor the translator can know that for sure, so I think that might be safer. Or, "most likely is'.

MGlez
MGlez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Right Nov 23, 2014

LilianNekipelov wrote:

'there might be' or "may be' instead of "there is'. Neither the client nor the translator can know that for sure, so I think that might be safer. Or, "most likely is'.

You are right Lilian

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
recte Nov 23, 2014

"Recte: Alternatively, when both the original and the suggested correction are desired to be shown (as they often are in palaeography), one may give the actual form, followed by sic in brackets, followed by the corrected form, preceded by recte, in brackets. The word recte is a Latin adverb meaning "rightly".

Sometimes only sic and the correction are in the bracket, becoming as in the last example "[sic assumed]" (i.e. recte is omitted)."

But you might also consider "U
... See more
"Recte: Alternatively, when both the original and the suggested correction are desired to be shown (as they often are in palaeography), one may give the actual form, followed by sic in brackets, followed by the corrected form, preceded by recte, in brackets. The word recte is a Latin adverb meaning "rightly".

Sometimes only sic and the correction are in the bracket, becoming as in the last example "[sic assumed]" (i.e. recte is omitted)."

But you might also consider "Usage guides, such as The Chicago Manual of Style, recommend "quiet copy-editing" (unless where inappropriate or uncertain) instead of inserting a bracketed sic, such as by substituting in brackets the correct word (if known) in place of the incorrect word."

So, in your case there are three options for your TT

1) "backside [sic] [recte storage room]"

2) "[sic storage room]"

3) "[storage room]"

[Edited at 2014-11-23 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:23
Dutch to English
+ ...
Footnote Nov 23, 2014

I write in a footnote (in a smaller font than the text):
Translator's note (underlined): error in the original text: trasero (backside) should be trastero (storage room).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Caveat emptor Nov 23, 2014

As English is obviously not your first language, I'm not sure you should be doing sworn translations INTO English.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Helpful comments Nov 23, 2014

but I also agree with neilmac's point.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Nov 24, 2014

Rachel Fell wrote:

but I also agree with neilmac's point.

I actually made an effort to soften my comment - I am strongly opposed to non-native translators in 99% of cases, and there may even be legal constraints for sworn translators, although I'm not sure about that. Best avoided IMHO.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with DLyons Nov 25, 2014

DLyons wrote:

But you might also consider "Usage guides, such as The Chicago Manual of Style, recommend "quiet copy-editing" (unless where inappropriate or uncertain) instead of inserting a bracketed sic, such as by substituting in brackets the correct word (if known) in place of the incorrect word."

So, in your case there are three options for your TT

1) "backside [sic] [recte storage room]"

2) "[sic storage room]"

3) "[storage room]"

[Edited at 2014-11-23 13:22 GMT]

I usually write the word "sic" for that purpose (FR>ES>FR translations).

Greetings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator's note

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »