Thread poster: Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani
Masoud Kakouli Varnousfaderani  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 06:38
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Mar 31, 2015

I was studying translation theories that I came across this sentence. Be kind enough to clarify lt for me, would you please? I really cannot understand what "intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically" mean.

A theory of translation, a theory of semantic transfer, must mean one of two things. It is either an intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically oriented way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges, of the totality of semantic communication.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
Member (2008)
Italian to English
This is bad writing but.... Apr 1, 2015

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

I was studying translation theories that I came across this sentence. Be kind enough to clarify lt for me, would you please? I really cannot understand what "intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically" mean.

A theory of translation, a theory of semantic transfer, must mean one of two things. It is either an intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically oriented way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges, of the totality of semantic communication.

..that particular phrase means something like "a way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges that has been intentionally sharpened by interpreting it in a particular way".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics

- although of course the text is so badly written that you'll probably get other suggestions that it means something else entirely.

[Edited at 2015-04-01 13:51 GMT]

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paraphrase Apr 1, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Masoud Kakoli wrote:

..that particular phrase means something like "a way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges that has been intentionally sharpened by interpreting it in a particular way".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermeneutics

- although of course the text is so badly written that you'll probably get other suggestions that it means something else entirely.

[Edited at 2015-04-01 13:51 GMT]

Can one paraphrase the entire sentence using basic words?

John Holland
John Holland  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:38
French to English
More reference material Apr 1, 2015

This is a fairly concise definition of hermeneutics, from http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Hermeneutics :

"Essentially, hermeneutics involves cultivating the ability to understand things from somebody else's point of view, and to appreciate the cultural and social forces that may have influenced their outlook. Hermeneutics is the process of applying this understanding to interpr
... See more
This is a fairly concise definition of hermeneutics, from http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Hermeneutics :

"Essentially, hermeneutics involves cultivating the ability to understand things from somebody else's point of view, and to appreciate the cultural and social forces that may have influenced their outlook. Hermeneutics is the process of applying this understanding to interpreting the meaning of written texts and symbolic artifacts (such as art or sculpture or architecture), which may be either historic or contemporary. "

A longer, more involved discussion can be found on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hermeneutics/

[Edited to fix second link]

[Edited at 2015-04-01 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:38
Dutch to English
+ ...
Either or Apr 1, 2015

The sentence says "It is either...." But where is the "or", i.e. what is the other proposed explanation?

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The other proposed explanation Apr 1, 2015

Tina Vonhof wrote:

The sentence says "It is either...." But where is the "or", i.e. what is the other proposed explanation?

This is the whole paragraph.

A theory of translation, a theory of semantic transfer, must mean one of two things. It is either an intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically oriented way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges, of the totality of semantic communication (including Jakobson's intersemiotic translation or 'transmutation). Or it is the subsection of such a model with specific reference to interlingual exchanges, to the emission and reception of significant messages between different languages... The 'totalizing' designation is the more instructive because it argues the fact that all procedures of expressive articulation and interpretive reception are translational, wether intra- or interlingually.

Can you tell me the whole enchilada?

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:38
Chinese to English
Google will provide Apr 1, 2015

It's from George Steiner's After Babel. http://courses.logos.it/EN/1_36.html

A "theory" of translation, a "theory" of semantic transfer, must mean one of two things. It is either an intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically oriented way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges, of the totality of semantic communication (including Jakobson's intersemiotic translation or "transmutation"). Or it is a subsection of such a model with specific reference to interlingual exchanges, to the emission and reception of significant messages between different languages.

"intentionally sharpened" means that the working mode involves reference to the intentions of the speaker (e.g. as opposed to formal grammars, which aim to understand utterances without reference to the intentions of the speaker). "Hermeneutically oriented" means that meaning is understood within its own context (e.g. as opposed to using dictionary definitions of words, which may not apply in a given case).

Türkiye
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could not find any clues Apr 1, 2015

Phil Hand wrote:

It's from George Steiner's After Babel. http://courses.logos.it/EN/1_36.html

A "theory" of translation, a "theory" of semantic transfer, must mean one of two things. It is either an intentionally sharpened, hermeneutically oriented way of designating a working mode of all meaningful exchanges, of the totality of semantic communication (including Jakobson's intersemiotic translation or "transmutation"). Or it is a subsection of such a model with specific reference to interlingual exchanges, to the emission and reception of significant messages between different languages.

"intentionally sharpened" means that the working mode involves reference to the intentions of the speaker (e.g. as opposed to formal grammars, which aim to understand utterances without reference to the intentions of the speaker). "Hermeneutically oriented" means that meaning is understood within its own context (e.g. as opposed to using dictionary definitions of words, which may not apply in a given case).

How did you infer based on that link that "intentionally sharpened" means the working mode involves reference to the intentions of the speaker and "hermeneutically oriented" means that meaning is understood within its own context?

I could not find any clues that suggest these definitions.

[Edited at 2015-04-01 16:15 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 05:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
What, me worry? Apr 1, 2015

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've been translating for a living for almost 20 years now and I don't understand the sentence either.

Nevertheless, I think the "of" must be a mistake and the author meant "or" (... or the totality of semantic communication) as the r/f keys are right next to each other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hermeneutic approach

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »