Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How long does one search for one term before giving up?
Thread poster: Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 08:32
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is exactly what I did, but... Apr 21, 2015

p1q01 wrote:

(i) when come to a phrase that looks completely meaningless, don't start to get panic, just leave it (I usually put few question marks for the unknown phrases) and continue to translate the next parts (believe me, this would save you a lot of time). Once the whole the content is (roughly) translated, from there I would get better picture of what the content is talking about (read a few times or read at least once for big project before translating could be a good habit too).

Now, the main topic of the content is clear, the next step is go back to those unknown phrases and analyze the phrases. Combine with previous and next sentences of the unknown phrase, I usually would ask myself a question: how would I write this part if I were the author/writer. For example, is the phrase describing the previous sentences? Then adjective might works. Or, is the phrase a statement for next sentence?

(ii) You mentioned that "All the words are simple, but I can't make them make sense in the context." In this case, I would suggest not to translate those "simple words", on the other hand, think of the meaning/message behind those simple words (what is the author/writer trying to tell the reader?).

There is the case that, the client might not be the author/writer, so even the client would like to help, but he/she could only provides some examples instead of giving an explanation.

This is exactly how I work, point for point. It didn't help here, though, and the example the client provided didn't help, and the reason came this morning: It was a mistake. And even corrected, the whole sentence was unnecessary and they asked me to delete it.
That is what I thought! Lesson learned: Trust gut. I am sure my confidence will grow with experience.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:32
French to English
+ ...
Not too long, but ... Apr 22, 2015

I think I have found your source doc. at: http://issuu.com/glazeritewellingborough/docs/glazerite_warmcore_install_guide_ma. In that case, I can answer your question. The problem was that you gave insufficient context. Once it was clear that the door was being inset into a brickwork reveal, all was indeed revealed!

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
Spend no more than few minutes Apr 23, 2015

I would only spend longer on key terms or clusters of terms for long translations. I do this specially if I see the work as contributing to my areas of specialization.

It's very unusual for me not to find a term inside 15 minutes, but that may be because Ive built up a huge backlog of references!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:32
Member (2008)
Italian to English
As it happens.... Apr 23, 2015

.....I'm working on a not very well written Italian document that contains various bits that had me stumped. However on restarting work today, their meaning was immediately clear to me. How does that happen? Something do do with rebooting one's brain?

[Edited at 2015-04-23 09:37 GMT]

Joanna Gough
Joanna Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
How about the non-key words or terms? Apr 23, 2015

How much time would you take and how many resources would you normally access for key and non-key words or terms? Do you keep on searching till you find a perfect solution do you accept the first suggestion that fits? Do you impose a limit on yourself or go with the flow? I often find I won't let go till I'm happy, even if it means spending more time than (some would say) is required:)

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
To quote a late friend of mine Apr 23, 2015

Joanna Gough wrote:

How much time would you take and how many resources would you normally access for key and non-key words or terms? Do you keep on searching till you find a perfect solution do you accept the first suggestion that fits? Do you impose a limit on yourself or go with the flow? I often find I won't let go till I'm happy, even if it means spending more time than (some would say) is required:)

Just work on it for as long as it takes. It has to be right. Otherwise what's the point?

[Edited at 2015-04-23 12:37 GMT]

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
It is called "diffused mode" Apr 23, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Something do do with rebooting one's brain?

[Edited at 2015-04-23 09:37 GMT]

Yes, it has. Some people call it "diffused mode", as opposed to "focused mode". The video below is from a very recommendable Coursera course about learning more efficiently, mainly geared for college students, but with a lot of valuable insights:

Focused and diffused mode

I receive incomprehensible or careless answers to my queries many times. How do you react in such a case? I know it would be the right thing to do to ask again (and again) until everything is clear. However I sometimes get the impression that nobody seems to care at all...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Finding the answer May 21, 2015

Last night and this morning, working on a translation, I ran into a couple of sentence constructions that included technical terms and had me flummoxed.

Mid-morning I went out and bought some groceries. When I came back I sat down at the computer and looked at the translation again. The correct way to translate those problematic phrases just came to me immediately!

Thanks again to Anna for explaining that this is called "shifting between focussed and diffused mode" (or
... See more
Last night and this morning, working on a translation, I ran into a couple of sentence constructions that included technical terms and had me flummoxed.

Mid-morning I went out and bought some groceries. When I came back I sat down at the computer and looked at the translation again. The correct way to translate those problematic phrases just came to me immediately!

Thanks again to Anna for explaining that this is called "shifting between focussed and diffused mode" (or something like that). It certainly floats my boat!

[Edited at 2015-05-21 11:37 GMT]
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mendeleev May 21, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Thanks again to Anna for explaining that this is called "shifting between focussed and diffused mode" (or something like that). It certainly floats my boat!

[Edited at 2015-05-21 11:37 GMT]

That's how Mendeleev came up with the periodic table, Tom.

DLyons
DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use Google Images May 23, 2015

Occasionally, you will get lucky and find a diagram or picture that helps to understand what's involved.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long does one search for one term before giving up?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »