Spain
Local time: 22:20
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! May 21, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
Do you have this fear?

Also my case. To me, delivering a translation is like crossing the Rubicon. When I reach the moment of delivery, I rest knowing that I have done everything in my power to deliver a quality translation. From that moment on, "Alea iacta est!"

Elmachich
Elmachich  Identity Verified
Morocco
Local time: 21:20
English to French
+ ...
Nope? Yes, we all do! May 21, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

After working long and hard to make a translation perfect, and sending it off to the client, I'm always frightened to read it the next day (tempting though this is) in case I find a mistake I hadn't noticed.

Do you have this fear?

Hi Tom,
It's's quite natural COS "there is no more uncertainty than in the certainty itself! "
Thank you for sharing!

At the end of our hard work, we just admire the result, COS we are proud of ourselves,
and above all: We have finished! And our translation seems to us the best production... Natural feeling

Then we send it and after that we find ourselves saying to ourselves "I have to read it again, just in case..."

However, I have another fear: starting the translation itself, it does take me some time ):
but once I have started I can assure you I just cannot stop from translating...

Do you have that feeling too? Thank you.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Me too May 21, 2015

But I rarely get the time to go over after I have finished and if I ever have the time, it will be long past or I am tired out or I have other things to do. But, I try to be optimistic and rely on the fact that I have done my best and not left out spaces, commas, and, hopefully, now I have trained myself to type without mistakes, but one never knows what tricks technology might wreck. Hopefully, not.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Fellow Rubiconner May 21, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Also my case. To me, delivering a translation is like crossing the Rubicon.

Well put Tomás, that's exactly how I feel.

Dan

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
I reread translations in magazines or books May 21, 2015

I only reread my translations if they come back in a form of a magazine or of a book or when I need to furnish links of homepages I have translated. It's then to be sure there has not been added another translation from someone else which might be of bad quality and be taken for my work.

I am not afraid of rereading what I did translate though.

[Modifié le 2015-05-21 19:13 GMT]

Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:20
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Spot on May 22, 2015

Aaron Schwarz wrote:

After I have sent it is when I do my best editing.

Same with me - but why is that?

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
This is another thing that must have a name! May 22, 2015

Most likely ending in -phobia. Especially when you come across your translation in its published form, it's natural to want to re-read it, but I've banned myself from doing so in case I spot an error!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Tom Jones Syndrome May 22, 2015

Richard Foulkes wrote:

Most likely ending in -phobia. Especially when you come across your translation in its published form, it's natural to want to re-read it, but I've banned myself from doing so in case I spot an error!

I had no idea this syndrome was so widespread.

It reminds me of that old punchline "It's not unusual"

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
more an aversion than a fear May 22, 2015

Calling this a fear or a phobia implies that I am worried I might actually be stupid enough to look at a translation that is out of my hands. But I am completely confident that I would never do something as crazy as that. I'm also not sure whether it is a pathological or a perfectly rational aversion.

Now, if it's work - if I need to look things over at the proof stage or if a client has questions or wants changes or if I am using an old translation as reference material for a curre
... See more
Calling this a fear or a phobia implies that I am worried I might actually be stupid enough to look at a translation that is out of my hands. But I am completely confident that I would never do something as crazy as that. I'm also not sure whether it is a pathological or a perfectly rational aversion.

Now, if it's work - if I need to look things over at the proof stage or if a client has questions or wants changes or if I am using an old translation as reference material for a current translation or searching the concordance of my CAT - then it's absolutely no problem.

But rubbing my nose in my own lack of infallibility and omniscience without any ulterior motive - no thanks! And that is doubly true of books: Although I always take a good look at the pictures, I'm very careful to keep my eyes from straying to the text.

PS: Obviously, it would be perfectly rational and reasonable for anyone who does not share my clearly irrational belief in their own infallibility and omniscience to look at their old translations out of curiostiy or to learn or to pass the time.
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Ohrwurm and some kitchen sink psychology May 22, 2015

A catchy tune from Tom Jones was really all I needed for this already really slow and difficult morning of translation. I really need to make sure NOT to reread the translation I am doing today.

It is very rare that I find and take the time to reread any translations later, but I am convinced that there must be a proper name for the aversion of rubbing one's nose into one's own mistakes - linguistic or others. It took
... See more
A catchy tune from Tom Jones was really all I needed for this already really slow and difficult morning of translation. I really need to make sure NOT to reread the translation I am doing today.

It is very rare that I find and take the time to reread any translations later, but I am convinced that there must be a proper name for the aversion of rubbing one's nose into one's own mistakes - linguistic or others. It took me years to be able just to look at things I did earlier without being utterly embarrassed and beating myself up about them. Today I am able to apply a normal, healthy self-criticism. It is so much easier and more efficient to just look and say "This could have been done better. Now how can I go about it next time?"

I always thought the reason was in my education during the 80s - we were praised for everything and nothing during that period. I guess many parents truly believed that criticism would discourage children. And so I was encouraged to get away with average results and never got used to criticism. Meditation practice got me over that - it helps to get unhelpful emotions out of the way. But the force isn't yet strong enough with me to get rid of Tom Jones...
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
For Anna May 22, 2015

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

A catchy tune from Tom Jones...

Patient: Doctor, I wonder if you can help me?
Doctor: What seems to be the trouble?
Patient: I've got this song running through my head…
Doctor: And?
Patient: I can't get it to stop! It's driving me mad!
Doctor: Hmm. What's the song?
Patient: "Green green grass of home"
Doctor: Hmmmmm. Just the one song, or are there others?
Patient: Well now that you come to mention it...
Doctor: Yes?
Patient: There are others.
Doctor: What are they?
Patient: Well, there's "Delilah"...
Doctor: Let me stop you there. I'm afraid you seem to be suffering from a severe case of TJS.
Patient: ?
Doctor: TJS. Tom Jones Syndrome.
Patient: Oh! I didn't know it was a syndrome. Do a lot of people get it?
Doctor: it's not unusual.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
... May 22, 2015

Patient: But can it be cured?
Doctor: Well, a revolutionary new treatment has recently been tested. But it is not without risks!
Patient: I don't care! It's just a matter of time until I will lose my mind! I wake up crying every day! How does this treatment work?
Doctor: We use a very strong CTI (Catchy Tune Inducer) to counteract the symptoms of the original disorder. Some patients reported an improvement of their condition after the treatment. You will have to take this medication before meals during the next two weeks. But make sure to return immediately if you experience any side effects!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
So May 22, 2015

So it's true what they say about the German sense of humour.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
As far as rumours go we don't have any... May 22, 2015

...because we are always too busy working.

Happy weekend!

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
no fear, more curiosity May 22, 2015

I would not reread my own translation the next day - not because of any kind of fear, but because there would be no point as I would have reread it at least twice before sending it.

But rereading it days, months or even years later can be very interesting/instructive.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The fear of rereading a translation after you've sent it

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »