Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beer? May 23, 2016

englishpartner wrote:

The Czech side of the manual said you should climb up and down the ladder facing toward the ladder. The Slovak side said you should climb up and down with your face.

I sat for ATA exam in Prague in April this year. I checked on the local beer and it's still very good. I didn't know Slovak beer was much better. This could be the only reason anyone may attempt to go down the ladder with their face.

Now seriously, I think I've just had my best laugh of the month. Much appreciated.

Even more seriously, don't they read what they translate or what?

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dubbing May 23, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

In many countries you cannot even compare because all you hear is the translated dialog.

I am against dubbing, because is causes "dumbing" (anyone can watch a movie in the original language with subtitles). However, and personal preferences aside, dubbing in Spain is of very high level. The voices are amazing. I am sure anyone of those actors (because that's what they are, actors) could easily pull an opera aria. The colour of the voice, the fullness of it, neuter accent (unless otherwise required). It's a joy to listen to them.

I wish translation work too were done at the same level.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:42
Chinese to English
Nuclear safety May 23, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Like, half the stuff that goes through my review desk.

This really sounds alarming to me, Lincoln. I simply hope that doctors or nuclear plant managers are doing better job than those ill-fitted translators.

The one time I considered breaking confidentiality was when I had a report on nuclear safety come to me to proofread, and the translator had got the name of the relevant nuclear authority wrong in big red letters on the front page. Oh, and had completely mistranslated the type of nuclear material that the report was about (it was about the collection and decommissioning of medical nuclear isotopes used in x-ray machines and similar). I refused to proofread it; asked later what had happened, and was told that they'd found another, less picky proofreader. I was on the brink of contacting someone - anyone - referenced in the document about that for days. In the end, I didn't, and to this day I wonder if I should have.

Anyway, in Chinese I see a very clear two levels in subtitles. Professional subs on big movies are usually done very well. I'd love to know who does them, because they're really good - particularly the kids films that I spend most of my cinema time watching these days. Then there's fansubs, and they're... fun amateur fare, shall we say.

Roni_S
Roni_S  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 22:42
Slovak to English
Merab May 23, 2016

Glad to give you a good laugh. Czechs are more well known for their beer, Slovaks tend toward wine and harder stuff. Either way, I love it - surely only some sort of alcohol could make you climb down a ladder with your face!

And yes, I'm pretty sure too many people don't read what they have translated. Sometimes it comes down to sticking to the completely literal translation, which rarely works. I once found in a bilingual dictionary the word Jewishness as a translation for Judaism
... See more
Glad to give you a good laugh. Czechs are more well known for their beer, Slovaks tend toward wine and harder stuff. Either way, I love it - surely only some sort of alcohol could make you climb down a ladder with your face!

And yes, I'm pretty sure too many people don't read what they have translated. Sometimes it comes down to sticking to the completely literal translation, which rarely works. I once found in a bilingual dictionary the word Jewishness as a translation for Judaism. Not working for me, I'll tell you.

I am sometimes stunned by the translations I read, because no normal person would be able to produce some of that stuff.
Collapse

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Virginia Bar Association => ~ Virginia Pub-Goers' Association May 23, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

I was watching Unfortunate Events with my kid. At some point, one of the characters presents herself:
- Hello, I'm justice Strauss of the city High Court.

Spanish (continental) translation was like this:
- Hola, soy justicia Strauss del Tribunal Supremo.

Spanish (Latin American) translation was like this:
- Bienvenidos, soy la jueza Straus de la Suprema Corte.

Subtitling part goes like this:
- Hola, soy Justicia Strauss de la Suprema Corte de la ciudad.

As you have probably noticed, "justice Strauss" got translated as:

- justicia Strauss (even "Justicia Strauss", as if it were a proper name of the lady)
- jueza Strauss (which seems to be the proper translation, as "justice", in this context, is not "justicia", but "juez/a", a judge)

I have two questions and would love to hear about your experiences from your linguistic areas:

1. Is it that difficult to either realise that "justice" has at least two meanings depending on the context, or to ask someone who knows this is so, and that prior to releasing the film in different languages?

2. Is it only in Spanish or does it also happen in other languages?

See title. But as a lawyer-turned-translator I assure you KudoZ questions and answers don't fall from the quality level we're discussing here.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It varies May 23, 2016

In general, subtitling and dubbing in Spain tend to be of quite good quality, although there's always stuff that slips through the nets (assuming there are any).
I'd just like to say I've enjoyed this thread immensely, laughing out loud and learning something new into the bargain (Dunning–Kruger effect). Thanks everyone for posting

Slobodan Kozarčić
Slobodan Kozarčić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2016)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Pawn Stars May 23, 2016

[quote]Daryo wrote:

or more accurately, "translators" not suffering but enjoying the Dunning–Kruger effect, while it's others [on whose ears and eyes their "artwork" is foisted] that are really suffering - suffering the consequences of having to make do with unintelligible or plain wrong translations!

Saw it today on History Channel:
Original: I dig Bob Marley. Translation: I excavated him (Ископао сам га).

[Edited at 2016-05-23 20:45 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Virginia May 23, 2016

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

Merab Dekano wrote:

I was watching Unfortunate Events with my kid. At some point, one of the characters presents herself:
- Hello, I'm justice Strauss of the city High Court.

Spanish (continental) translation was like this:
- Hola, soy justicia Strauss del Tribunal Supremo.

Spanish (Latin American) translation was like this:
- Bienvenidos, soy la jueza Straus de la Suprema Corte.

Subtitling part goes like this:
- Hola, soy Justicia Strauss de la Suprema Corte de la ciudad.

As you have probably noticed, "justice Strauss" got translated as:

- justicia Strauss (even "Justicia Strauss", as if it were a proper name of the lady)
- jueza Strauss (which seems to be the proper translation, as "justice", in this context, is not "justicia", but "juez/a", a judge)

I have two questions and would love to hear about your experiences from your linguistic areas:

1. Is it that difficult to either realise that "justice" has at least two meanings depending on the context, or to ask someone who knows this is so, and that prior to releasing the film in different languages?

2. Is it only in Spanish or does it also happen in other languages?

See title. But as a lawyer-turned-translator I assure you KudoZ questions and answers don't fall from the quality level we're discussing here.

I can imagine what Virginia Plan would mean from the mouth of that KudoZ master. Probably, a flat rate tariff plan applicable in the state of Virginia to be enjoyed by "pub-goers".

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Poor translations May 24, 2016

It amazes me to see that some professional translators are surprised. When I read the questions asked by some people who accept a job here, or the rates of some, I can only say to myself that the professionals on the site are becoming an exception. On top of that less and less jobs go to those professionals since cheap rates are all the go, especially from agencies or others requiring this and that and further documents and additional proofs and such or such CAT Tools. In no other profession is ... See more
It amazes me to see that some professional translators are surprised. When I read the questions asked by some people who accept a job here, or the rates of some, I can only say to myself that the professionals on the site are becoming an exception. On top of that less and less jobs go to those professionals since cheap rates are all the go, especially from agencies or others requiring this and that and further documents and additional proofs and such or such CAT Tools. In no other profession is a client in a position to dictate the tool used. Try and go to the butcher and require he uses that or this knife to cut the piece of meat... I bet you will be thrown out of the shop. Translators seem to take this as perfectly normal - I am sorry, this is not the way things should work. The client gives you a job and the way you perform it is none of his/her/its business as long as you deliver quality. But then when he/she/it pays peanuts, what can they expect apart from crap?Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I hate dubbing May 24, 2016

Merab Dekano wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

In many countries you cannot even compare because all you hear is the translated dialog.

I am against dubbing, because is causes "dumbing" (anyone can watch a movie in the original language with subtitles). However, and personal preferences aside, dubbing in Spain is of very high level. The voices are amazing. I am sure anyone of those actors (because that's what they are, actors) could easily pull an opera aria. The colour of the voice, the fullness of it, neuter accent (unless otherwise required). It's a joy to listen to them.

I wish translation work too were done at the same level.

I hate dubbing and refuse to watch an overdubbed film. Try to imagine Marlon Brando's voice, or Orson Welles's, overdubbed by an Italian overdubber (usually a failed actor). Horrible !

[Edited at 2016-05-24 07:46 GMT]

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rois Mages May 24, 2016

Texte Style wrote:

just watching a series last night with my daughter I saw that the name of a character, Cole, had been translated as coal. Like "Charbon, tu es là?"

In Spain "los Reyes Magos" bring you charcoal if your behaviour wasn't excellent during that year. I presume they then continue their trip to France (Schengen visa) and your character must be a victim of their terrible revenge.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Low rates driving pros out and fansubbers into the marketplace May 24, 2016

Since 1987 (for dubbing) and 2004 (for subtitling), I specialize in corporate video (e.g. training, product launch, institutional) translation. Competition is limited, because quality requirements are very high.

Only now and then I do some feature films and TV series, where competition is fierce, and low rates abound. To give an idea, many years ago a dubbing studio offered me one-third of my usual rates, saying that if I accepted that they'd have sufficient demand to keep me busy
... See more
Since 1987 (for dubbing) and 2004 (for subtitling), I specialize in corporate video (e.g. training, product launch, institutional) translation. Competition is limited, because quality requirements are very high.

Only now and then I do some feature films and TV series, where competition is fierce, and low rates abound. To give an idea, many years ago a dubbing studio offered me one-third of my usual rates, saying that if I accepted that they'd have sufficient demand to keep me busy 24/7, if I could endure it.

There is a bunch of amateurs everywhere translating subtitles of the movies/videos they like for free, as a hobby. They are called fansubbers, and they publish their SRT files on the web, so anyone will be able to watch pirated movies with subtitles in their preferred language.

Of course, since these subs are given for free, nobody is entitled to complain about their quality. As a result, fansubbers get practice, however they don't improve, because nobody is telling them where they should improve.

Since the movie/TV dubbing/subtitling industry is doing its best to cut costs, and hence drive rates down, capable translation pros are giving up on it. On the other end, those who were doing it for free welcome a chance to do it for some - no matter how little - money.

Bottom line is that ever more often I see on cable TV series, that when actors talk a bit too fast, to a point where even native speakers, if not really focused, would miss part of it, they simply skip the subtitles. Either they failed to understand what was said - in spite of the possibility of rewinding and listening again - or they thought it would be too much trouble to condense all that discourse into a subtitle short enough to be read in the skimpy time allotted.

A few years ago, when I saw some translation agencies trying to push PEMT down every translator's throat, I thought that it wouldn't take long before subtitling studios outsourced translation completely to fansubbers, and got the pros to fix their output later.

As I had some time to spare between Xmas and the New Year then, I decided to run an experiment, some kind of an off-school "thesis" on whether it would be costwise effective to have video translation for subtitling done by low-grade amateurs, and later "fixed" by pros.

I got the video "Now You See Me WITHOUT the commercial DVD subtitles in PT-BR, and the subtitles for it from a fansubber, available on the web.

The entire experiment and links to download the files are available at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/conserto-legenda-barata.html . It's all in Brazilian Portuguese, for all on this forum who can read it.

Bottom line is that the time it takes for a pro to fix bad subtitles is about the same as to do it from scratch, without the script or a transcript. As a matter of fact, thanks to the Law of Least Effort, "fixed" subtitles are actually WORSE than if done from scratch by a pro.

So I really hope that the folks in the video industry will not think this PEMT-like procedure is worth it.
Collapse

Merab Dekano
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why don't they fail? May 24, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Only now and then I do some feature films and TV series, where competition is fierce, and low rates abound. To give an idea, many years ago a dubbing studio offered me one-third of my usual rates, saying that if I accepted that they'd have sufficient demand to keep me busy 24/7, if I could endure it.

There is a bunch of amateurs everywhere translating subtitles of the movies/videos they like for free, as a hobby. They are called fansubbers, and they publish their SRT files on the web, so anyone will be able to watch pirated movies with subtitles in their preferred language.

Of course, since these subs are given for free, nobody is entitled to complain about their quality. As a result, fansubbers get practice, however they don't improve, because nobody is telling them where they should improve.

Since the movie/TV dubbing/subtitling industry is doing its best to cut costs, and hence drive rates down, capable translation pros are giving up on it. On the other end, those who were doing it for free welcome a chance to do it for some - no matter how little - money.

Bottom line is that ever more often I see on cable TV series, that when actors talk a bit too fast, to a point where even native speakers, if not really focused, would miss part of it, they simply skip the subtitles. Either they failed to understand what was said - in spite of the possibility of rewinding and listening again - or they thought it would be too much trouble to condense all that discourse into a subtitle short enough to be read in the skimpy time allotted.

A few years ago, when I saw some translation agencies trying to push PEMT down every translator's throat, I thought that it wouldn't take long before subtitling studios outsourced translation completely to fansubbers, and got the pros to fix their output later.

As I had some time to spare between Xmas and the New Year then, I decided to run an experiment, some kind of an off-school "thesis" on whether it would be costwise effective to have video translation for subtitling done by low-grade amateurs, and later "fixed" by pros.

I got the video "Now You See Me WITHOUT the commercial DVD subtitles in PT-BR, and the subtitles for it from a fansubber, available on the web.

The entire experiment and links to download the files are available at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/conserto-legenda-barata.html . It's all in Brazilian Portuguese, for all on this forum who can read it.

Bottom line is that the time it takes for a pro to fix bad subtitles is about the same as to do it from scratch, without the script or a transcript. As a matter of fact, thanks to the Law of Least Effort, "fixed" subtitles are actually WORSE than if done from scratch by a pro.

So I really hope that the folks in the video industry will not think this PEMT-like procedure is worth it.

Why don't those films fail completely as, say, a book would fail if translated by an amateur who just happens to speak both languages?

I too agree with your experiment. I myself have done something similar with fixing MT output (had an offer for a project to post-edit MT output, but declined it given the awful quality of the "trained" machine nonsense). It makes no sense. You are better off doing it from scratch.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
... May 24, 2016

mariealpilles wrote:

It amazes me to see that some professional translators are surprised. When I read the questions asked by some people who accept a job here, or the rates of some, I can only say to myself that the professionals on the site are becoming an exception.

Could be true everywhere by now.

On top of that less and less jobs go to those professionals since cheap rates are all the go, especially from agencies or others requiring this and that and further documents and additional proofs and such or such CAT Tools. In no other profession is a client in a position to dictate the tool used. Try and go to the butcher and require he uses that or this knife to cut the piece of meat... I bet you will be thrown out of the shop. Translators seem to take this as perfectly normal - I am sorry, this is not the way things should work. The client gives you a job and the way you perform it is none of his/her/its business as long as you deliver quality. But then when he/she/it pays peanuts, what can they expect apart from crap?

It's not just translators. You can influence the process with other professionals too, but it's not as invasive or detrimental to quality in a meaningful way. Translators tend to be too subservient. Even in their copy most sound like obedient school children rather than mature professionals. It's all about being happy to jump at the client's word and the willingness do all sorts of silly things like a concierge as opposed to our core work, core skills and core value.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 04:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
To some extent May 24, 2016

mariealpilles wrote:
In no other profession is a client in a position to dictate the tool used.

The use of certain specific software is often required in creative and artistic professions.

[Edited at 2016-05-24 18:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it that bad in your languages?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »