Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Off topic: How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?
Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.
Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Sour grapes much? Jun 24, 2016

Tom in London wrote:
That restaurant is going to be paying more for all the ingredients it uses, its gas, and its electricity, and if you want a bottle of wine, you'll pay considerably more for it. You have gained nothing.

Actually I have gained a new sense of optimism that normal people can be brave enough to say No to bloated, ever-growing bureaucracies in faraway lands and political unions for which they never asked and on which they were never, until yesterday, consulted.

However, in this specific case, the restaurant to which I refer buys nearly all its food locally, so the impact will be small. Local fish from Cardigan Bay, local meat, local beer from Seren Brewery, local strawberries.

The wine, I grant you, will soon be 6% or whatever more expensive. But then I can easily cover that with my higher revenues from my clients, who are nearly all overseas. Trade: improving people's lives for 3,000 years.

Have a great day everybody.

Regards
Dan

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ah yes, the grapes Jun 24, 2016

Ah yes - the grapes- they'll be more expensive too.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Buy British! Jun 24, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

In the immediate future, i.e. today, for UK-based translators the fall in the value of GBP means that everything we buy will cost about 25%-30% more - from computers to food.

Actually, it means I can hike up my prices massively and still be no more expensive. Result!

I can really stock up on tins now ahead of the inevitable nuclear armageddon.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oh, right Jun 24, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

In the immediate future, i.e. today, for UK-based translators the fall in the value of GBP means that everything we buy will cost about 25%-30% more - from computers to food.

Actually, it means I can hike up my prices massively and still be no more expensive. Result!

I can really stock up on tins now ahead of the inevitable nuclear armageddon.

Oh, right - put your rates up and lose clients. Enjoy your British grapes and peaches, your British computer, and your British-owned bus or train company (if you can find them).

[Edited at 2016-06-24 08:32 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:08
German to English
Hope they get on with it. Jun 24, 2016

Ideally, I would like to have seen a clear victory for remain. Practically, it's been clear for a long time that this was not going to happen.

Given the choice between a close vote to remain and a close vote to leave, as a supporter of the EU and the euro and someone dependent on the well-being of the German economy, I guess an exit vote is what I would have preferred.
I just hope that Cameron and the government respect the outcome and get moving quickly on things. To my mind
... See more
Ideally, I would like to have seen a clear victory for remain. Practically, it's been clear for a long time that this was not going to happen.

Given the choice between a close vote to remain and a close vote to leave, as a supporter of the EU and the euro and someone dependent on the well-being of the German economy, I guess an exit vote is what I would have preferred.
I just hope that Cameron and the government respect the outcome and get moving quickly on things. To my mind, a clean break and then a rational redefinition of the UK's relationship to the EU would be good for the EU, and it will be whatever it will be for the UK: "You pays your money and you takes your choice," as Dan said, and I wish them all the best. I think that status will also be a more accurate reflection of the UK's relationship to the EU than the "full member, but ..." category that it filled until yesterday.
As far as positive spin goes: I think it is important that the EU really gets shaken up like this and then makes it through. That's also why I never understood not letting Greece leave the euro, not only because the present situation there is intolerable, but because it is important to clearly demonstrate that it would not be the end of the world or the EU or the euro. (Or to demonstrate that it would be and get on with things from there.)
I also hope that the EU doesn't let the UK back into the common market until the situation with the pound sorts itself out.

I feel sorry for all the British ex-pats and all the EU-citizens in the UK who do not have dual citizenship and may suddenly have their lives turned upside down (but probably won't suffer anything but a little stress and uncertainty).

I think that exchange rates work like Dan said and not Tom.
My understanding is that prices for most things are largely based on purchasing power, so they don't change very fast. International profits are strongly influenced by exchange rates, so a lot of UK freelancers working with euro or, better yet, Swiss or Swedish, etc. clients stand to make some very good money.
UK agencies, which seem to have a reputation for low rates anyway, are going to have to deal with a large portion of their translators' rates suddenly increasing significantly or (if their freelancers' rates are based on the pound) having trouble competing with international outsourcers for good translators.
I suppose that translators working into English for non-UK agencies or other clients with very large translation budgets might also be undercut by competition from the UK using their currency advantage.
However, I doubt that things will turn out all that dynamic and exciting, they rarely do.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
£ Jun 24, 2016

A 12 per cent fall in sterling will push up the price of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel. Therefore the cost of everything that is transported will increase by the 12% + the added costs. A haulage company transporting tomatoes (for example) wil have to increase its prices by the extra cost of the fuel, the vehicle, and all the spare parts for the vehicle. The tomatoes will no longer be picked by cheap EU migrant workers but by whoever in the UK feels like going to pick tomatoes. This will all t... See more
A 12 per cent fall in sterling will push up the price of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel. Therefore the cost of everything that is transported will increase by the 12% + the added costs. A haulage company transporting tomatoes (for example) wil have to increase its prices by the extra cost of the fuel, the vehicle, and all the spare parts for the vehicle. The tomatoes will no longer be picked by cheap EU migrant workers but by whoever in the UK feels like going to pick tomatoes. This will all take time, of course: a time of great uncertainty.

[Edited at 2016-06-24 08:41 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
It's a bit more than that, though Jun 24, 2016

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
It is sad to see the UK leave, but I can understand the decision.

That conjures up romantic pictures of parents at the quayside waving to their son as he leaves to make his way in the world. But it isn't going to be like that, is it? All those little ripples caused today by those crosses on voting papers - what are they going to become tomorrow? I hope that those who voted to leave are enjoying their celebrations. They may not be afford them too much longer.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe political union was not a good idea Jun 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
It is sad to see the UK leave, but I can understand the decision.

That conjures up romantic pictures of parents at the quayside waving to their son as he leaves to make his way in the world. But it isn't going to be like that, is it? All those little ripples caused today by those crosses on voting papers - what are they going to become tomorrow? I hope that those who voted to leave are enjoying their celebrations. They may not be afford them too much longer.

Yes, I know what you mean. However, there is one thing that should definitely happen: maybe we should rethink this idea of political union, as such union was not bringing about more freedom for the people, less debt, or more economic freedom. In fact, checkbook-happy politicians at national level were becoming very fond of EU funds instead of doing their job of cutting down where needed. If the paradigm in national politics is now always more taxes and more debt, it is "thanks" to current EU policy.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
It doesn't really work like that Jun 24, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

A 12 per cent fall in sterling will push up the price of petrol, diesel and aviation fuel. Therefore the cost of everything that is transported will increase by the 12% + the added costs. A haulage company transporting tomatoes (for example) wil have to increase its prices by the extra cost of the fuel, the vehicle, and all the spare parts for the vehicle. The tomatoes will no longer be picked by cheap EU migrant workers but by whoever in the UK feels like going to pick tomatoes. This will all take time, of course: a time of great uncertainty.

[Edited at 2016-06-24 08:41 GMT]

The same way that the price of tomatoes tumbled when oil prices collapsed last year?

Yes, there will be an effect but it'll sort itself out in the wash. The intrinsic value of our goods and services will be much the same.

Tbh I'm surprised the pound hasn't fallen further, the way markets overreact. That could be quite a good sign.

PS I was being sarcy earlier. I think the vote is an absolute ****ing disaster for Britain and the world. Although it could turn out to be like the millennium bug.

[Edited at 2016-06-24 09:18 GMT]

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Very good point Jun 24, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:
I hope that those who voted to leave are enjoying their celebrations. They may not be afford them too much longer.

Quite.
But will they be honest enough to look back and recognise that the point they tried to make wasn't so clever after all?
I did hope that "remain" would make it. A lot of young people in the UK and elsewhere did so too, so there is still hope for Europe. As someone in Italy pointed out above, the UK had always been very reluctant about anything to do with the political dimension of the EU. When I was living in the UK, I certainly saw way too many ludicrous (yet funny at times, I must admit) anti-European headlines on so-called "news"papers I find indecent to name here. The UK joined for commercial reasons, now it's out. I fear those who voted "out" will however not find themselves better off for it, quite the opposite - wouldn't like to be in their shoes. Trouble is the 16 141 241 persons who voted to stay will have to foot the bill too.

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Sad Jun 24, 2016

If I were a Brit, I would have voted Leave. However, as a Pole, I am very sad to see UK go.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
thanks Michael Jun 24, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:

As far as positive spin goes: I think it is important that the EU really gets shaken up like this and then makes it through.

I also hope that the EU doesn't let the UK back into the common market until the situation with the pound sorts itself out.

I feel sorry for all the British ex-pats and all the EU-citizens in the UK who do not have dual citizenship and may suddenly have their lives turned upside down (but probably won't suffer anything but a little stress and uncertainty).

I don't want to apply for French nationality, I don't feel French, even if I feel very much at home here. Don't feel very British either right now. Could we perhaps be granted a special European status?

My son might just finish his studies in the UK before they get rid of the grants to EU students, then again I just read on the Beeb that "Mr Cameron ...said they wanted to make immediate changes before the UK actually leaves the EU, such as limiting the free movement of workers, potentially in breach of the UK's treaty obligations." so who knows whether I'll even get to the wedding I was invited to in Portugal this summer!

I hope the EU is really tough with the UK, to show them that you can't just have your cake and eat it. They will be tough, otherwise there'll be a queue to leave.

And I hope they introduce true democracy in the EU so everybody gets to vote wherever they are. I can't vote in either the UK or France, an Italian woman I know living in France can vote in both Italy in France. We should all be allowed to vote in one or the other.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I'm devastated Jun 24, 2016

I have been following this thread, hoping to the end that the majority would vote to stay.

My grandfather nearly starved to death as a prisoner of war in WW I and thousands of his generation died or suffered permanent disabilities. He was one of the lucky ones! He did not have any brothers, nor did my grandmother. Other families lost all their sons. My other grandfather served in a civilian capacity and his brother was marked for life by his experiences as an army surgeon.
... See more
I have been following this thread, hoping to the end that the majority would vote to stay.

My grandfather nearly starved to death as a prisoner of war in WW I and thousands of his generation died or suffered permanent disabilities. He was one of the lucky ones! He did not have any brothers, nor did my grandmother. Other families lost all their sons. My other grandfather served in a civilian capacity and his brother was marked for life by his experiences as an army surgeon.

My father and uncles came through the Second War - again, the family was incredibly lucky, partly because some were too young to be called up before the war ended. The war cast its long shadow over my childhood all the same, and even more over my schoolmates and contemporaries. We were called 'the warless generation', and that was something quite exceptional. My brother and cousins, boyfriends and fellow students were not even called up for national service, although a couple volunteered and made careers in the army.

The EU is far from perfect. I have gone round myself and said it would be good to shake it up, and question the appalling waste and inefficiency. But as long as they only waste money and not human lives, and practically nobody actually starves as they did in both world wars, there is hope and there are resources to lead the way to something better.

This referendum shows democracy at its weakest - half the population can flout the wishes of the other half. If we ex-pats had had votes too, who knows? We might have swung the result the other way. Or we might not.

However, I console myself with the fact that the EU is still there, even though we apparently lack leaders with the visions of the founding fathers. Where are you, descendants of Adenauer, Churchill and de Gaulle, Schumann and Monnet? And all the others who worked to make it a reality? Now is the time to speak up.

There must still be people with visions who can raise Europe from chaos, which, after all, is not nearly as bad as it was in 1945. All the important elements are still there - democracy, diplomacy, the infrastructure for trade and cultural interchanges. We simply have to find new ways of doing things, or agree to carry on as before where that is the best way.

At least we are parting as friends, not actually declaring war on each other. We can still stand together to solve the real problems.

I think I will read my favourite G.K. Chesterton poem and have a cup of coffee and hope for the best!

The Rolling English Road

Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode,
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.
A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire,
And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire;
A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread
The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head.

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.

His sins they were forgiven him; or why do flowers run
Behind him; and the hedges all strengthening in the sun?
The wild thing went from left to right and knew not which was which,
But the wild rose was above him when they found him in the ditch.
God pardon us, nor harden us; we did not see so clear
The night we went to Bannockburn by way of Brighton Pier.

My friends, we will not go again or ape an ancient rage,
Or stretch the folly of our youth to be the shame of age,
But walk with clearer eyes and ears this path that wandereth,
And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of death;
For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:38
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I am sure many share your feeling Jun 24, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:
I am devastated...

I am sure many share your anguish. As an outsider to both the EU and the UK, but as an insider as far as mankind is concerned, I can only watch in amazement at 50 years of effort at civilizing the most violent continent being blown away like this.

Yes, it shows democracy (as practised in the UK, and also in India) at its worst. May be in such important decision-making, instead of the first past the post system, a proportional weightage representation would have yielded less disruptive results.

Like you, I too had raised this point earlier that the issue is clearly lack of leadership of stature in Europe, as well as in UK, who, if present, could have better expostulated the dangers of breaking up a vast human experiment with immense future potential in this cynical, ill-considered manner.

I will take objection to one point you make, though. I don't consider Churchill to be any leader of vision. He very much played the cynical politician of the worst kind in both Europe and in India, which lead to millions of deaths at both places. In Europe, he pandered to Hitler's ego and tried to manipulate him to neutralize the communists in Russia. In British India, he is one of the chief architects of partitioning the country on religious lines, again for cynical reasons - to checkmate the soviet expansion eastwards to the Arabian Sea, by creating a client state pliable to British manipulation. Among his other sins is the Bengal famine which he engineered by diverting food to the war front in Europe from India, in a year of drought. The famine is believed to have taken 10 million Bengali lives.

But yes, capable and visionary leaders in the EU and the UK could have averted the political crisis in the EU and stilled the nationalistic fervour that is ominously raising its head again in Europe.

[Edited at 2016-06-24 11:54 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Major disaster... Jun 24, 2016

massive disappointment... this is all I can say... I'm just too angry after 26 years in the UK. A real kick in the teeth.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »