saranardo
saranardo
Italy
Local time: 02:26
English to Italian
Apr 19, 2014

Imperial college: localization training

Dear all,

I see that the Imperial College of London offers online localization training. Being a localizer myself, I would be interested in this.

Does anybody have experience with this university and the training they provide? Is it worth the money? (The training may be quite pricey).

I don't see any contact link where you could enquire further, so it would be
... See more

Dear all,

I see that the Imperial College of London offers online localization training. Being a localizer myself, I would be interested in this.

Does anybody have experience with this university and the training they provide? Is it worth the money? (The training may be quite pricey).

I don't see any contact link where you could enquire further, so it would be interesting reading about direct experiences.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/cpd/courses/subject/other/localisation

Thanks for any possible input.

Sincerely

Sara
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I loved it! Apr 19, 2014

I learnt a lot and they provided me plenty of stuff to study. It was a good investment of my money. I hade to study hard. If you are already working in localization perhaps you already have some knowledge, but it worked for me. (I had done previously the TiLP localisation course).
Imperial College of London is one of the best universities of the world. I remember when I took the course I told my husband that I was taking "an online training in a British college", he laught at me and said
... See more
I learnt a lot and they provided me plenty of stuff to study. It was a good investment of my money. I hade to study hard. If you are already working in localization perhaps you already have some knowledge, but it worked for me. (I had done previously the TiLP localisation course).
Imperial College of London is one of the best universities of the world. I remember when I took the course I told my husband that I was taking "an online training in a British college", he laught at me and said: "Ha, now you are going to tell me that you are taking the course at the Imperial College...", and I said: "Yes, that's the name!" He stared at me without believing me and said: "It is one of the best places in the world to study!"

And besides my husband, some other people say the same thing: Please check a ranking of world universities, it is in the 10th place!
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2013-14/world-ranking

[Edited at 2014-04-19 21:12 GMT]
Collapse

saranardo
saranardo
Italy
Local time: 02:26
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
localization Apr 19, 2014

Hi,

thanks so much for your reply.

So you basically did the same 3-month online course advertised in the link?

Sara

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same one Apr 19, 2014

I've just checked the provided info, and the course is the same. If the content works for you, you can consider doing it.

Taken from the Imperial College website:

"Q. The course is advertised as suitable for anyone “wanting a career in translation industry”. Will it be too simple for project managers or translators already working in localization?
A. It is an introductory course so someone working in localisation will recognise some of the material... See more
I've just checked the provided info, and the course is the same. If the content works for you, you can consider doing it.

Taken from the Imperial College website:

"Q. The course is advertised as suitable for anyone “wanting a career in translation industry”. Will it be too simple for project managers or translators already working in localization?
A. It is an introductory course so someone working in localisation will recognise some of the material but probably not every little detail. The course is a mixture of theory with a strong practical element in it and participants will also be able to learn from each other in this course as there will be collaborative work.!

I confirm that it is exactly that.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/cpd/courses/subject/other/localisation/faq

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »