Thread poster: Phoenix III
Phoenix III
Phoenix III  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2014

A new client has requested I send a signed "Independent Contractor Agreement". I have looked online but the text doesn't adjust to translation/interpretation, and/or associated services. Does anyone have a template I can use? Or, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much!

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 10:39
English to German
Google? Aug 27, 2014

Phoenix III wrote:

I have looked online but the text doesn't adjust to translation/interpretation, and/or associated services

Google for "Independent Contractor Agreement" + "translator". You'll get lots of templates, then.

The only problem is the fact, that YOU have to decide carefully, what clauses you are willing to offer. This depends to a high degree on details about you, about your customer and about the way of the planned collaboration.

Phoenix III
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 27, 2014

I really appreciate your help. I'll get on it immediately.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
ATA model contract Aug 27, 2014

http://www.atanet.org/business_practices/services_agreements.php

Phoenix III
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA Contract Aug 27, 2014

I followed Keller's advice and went online again and ATA's contract seems to be very thorough covering all basis of our work and then some. My question would be if it is legally binding considering that it mentions that both parties agree to abide by ATA's Code of Ethics. I could say ProZ but I guess I have to compare both?

Phoenix III
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATA Contract Aug 27, 2014

I forgot to mention that the question comes up since I am not a member of ATA. :0(
Thanks again

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
ATA SCHMATA Aug 28, 2014

Phoenix III wrote:

I forgot to mention that the question comes up since I am not a member of ATA. :0(
Thanks again

Membership or not of ATA/ProZ etc. is irrelevant. You prepare and send them a contract. They sign it.
It's binding.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Just skip that clause. Aug 28, 2014

It's only a model contract, and you can add or remove anything you want in it. If the client agrees and signs, then it's all good, especially if they did not tell you more than what you state in the opening post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Independent Contractor Agreement

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »