Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:15
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Oct 2, 2014

Hello,

I am currently translating a text with a lot of names of governmental authorities in China (for example 国务院反垄断执法机构), and I wonder if there are any reliable resources to translate these terms.

Is there a governmental site or something, which provide these translations? Or do you know any other dictionaries?

Thank you for your help!

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:15
Chinese to English
No such luck Oct 2, 2014

To the best of my knowledge, official translations do not even exist, and I have certainly never seen a unified glossary.

Mind you, the joys of technology: It is as fast to Google and go directly to the organization's web page as it is to look them up in a glossary. If there is no English version on their own webpage (or if the English is comically bad), then just make it up. Remember to image search, too - sometimes if you can find pictures of an event organised by that body, their
... See more
To the best of my knowledge, official translations do not even exist, and I have certainly never seen a unified glossary.

Mind you, the joys of technology: It is as fast to Google and go directly to the organization's web page as it is to look them up in a glossary. If there is no English version on their own webpage (or if the English is comically bad), then just make it up. Remember to image search, too - sometimes if you can find pictures of an event organised by that body, their name will be in English on the backdrop.

NB. The term you give is not one body, it is a collective term referring to multiple bodies with jurisdiction over antitrust affairs. The banner at the top of this page will give you some words to mix and match with: http://www.saic.gov.cn/fldyfbzdjz/zflt/200909/t20090927_71218.html
Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Chinese to English
Agree Oct 2, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

Mind you, the joys of technology: It is as fast to Google and go directly to the organization's web page as it is to look them up in a glossary. If there is no English version on their own webpage (or if the English is comically bad), then just make it up. Remember to image search, too - sometimes if you can find pictures of an event organised by that body, their name will be in English on the backdrop.

NB. The term you give is not one body, it is a collective term referring to multiple bodies with jurisdiction over antitrust affairs. The banner at the top of this page will give you some words to mix and match with: http://www.saic.gov.cn/fldyfbzdjz/zflt/200909/t20090927_71218.html

Second everything Phil said. The image search idea is a great last resort and really does work quite well sometimes.

The hard thing is that there are many government authorities that do have standard translations of their names, so there's really no way to get around researching every term you come across.

Anybody think it would be worthwhile for us to start a running glossary on Proz of government agency names? Or does one already exist?

As Phil said, the specific term you mentioned is not a authority of its own, but an umbrella term. This link is basically a repeat of Phil's:
http://www.saic.gov.cn/fldyfbzdjz/zflt/200909/t20090927_71217.html
Especially:
协调反垄断行政执法工作。《反垄断法》授权国务院规定具体的反垄断执法机构。根据国务院规定,应由国家工商行政管理总局、国家发展和改革委员会、商务部三部门按职责分工负责反垄断行政执法工作。

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
I'm a suspicious type Oct 3, 2014

Preston Decker wrote:

Anybody think it would be worthwhile for us to start a running glossary on Proz of government agency names? Or does one already exist?

You can find lists on the web. I wouldn't be against a Proz glossary, but I'm not sure I would use it. I can count the number of translators with whom I would actually *trust* my terminology on the fingers of... one finger, actually (hi, Graham!). A glossary could build up credibility over time, but it would have to be very strictly curated.

I also quite like having a bit of freedom in my translation of agency names, because sometimes you need to convey in the name what the agency does, and official translations rarely do that.

I dunno, could be worth it. Certainly it would be helpful if it existed. We could start by populating it with the ministries and work from there. Perhaps make a rule that *only* official English names would be allowed in, or perhaps that unofficial translations must be marked as such.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I think most of the names you would find even on their own websites are in Chinglish. Oct 3, 2014

These names are the products of their internal staff members. The leaders tend to assume anybody who has learned English can translate, and there is no QA process.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Some Oct 3, 2014

Entities on a national level you can usually find on the Chinese government's English website. But you might need to know what you are looking for in the first place. The Chinese and English websites are structured differently so trying to compare texts is usually out of the question. And of course not everything can be found there.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching: Ch-EN dictionary for governmental authorities

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »