I do not know which software to purchase, Trados or Systran7Premium?
Thread poster: Antonio Tirado
Antonio Tirado
Antonio Tirado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 26, 2015

I will be purchasing a translation software program imminently and I would like feedback on which is better in the members' opion?

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:44
Spanish to French
+ ...
MemoQ! Jan 27, 2015

You've got it all in the title

Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:44
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ Jan 27, 2015

That's my choice.

Nikita Kobrin

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:44
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Definitely MemoQ! Jan 27, 2015

Just download a trial version and explore it. I would also recommend you watching their videos.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
test Jan 27, 2015

Download a trial version and test yourself. There are several good (or bad) CAT tools, e.g. OmegaT, CafeTran, MetaTexis, Swordfish, Wordfast, Across, Transit, memoQ, Fluency, SDL Studio, Deja Vu X, and much more.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do you want a CAT tool or an MT tool? Jan 27, 2015

33Translator33 wrote:
I will be purchasing a translation software program imminently and I would like feedback on which is better in the members' opion -- Trados or Systran7Premium?

Having looked at Systran7Premium's web site and checking the feature list, I get the impression that Systran7Premium is mostly a machine translation (MT) system, and not so much a computer assisted translation (CAT) environment. Trados, on the other hand, is mainly a CAT application (although it can connect to certain online MT systems, if you have accounts on those systems).

So, do you want a product that will translate mostly for you (MT), or a product in which you yourself can translate (CAT)?

By the way, the "MemoQ" that three people here have recommended is neither Trados nor Systran7Premium.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Ask your customers Jan 27, 2015

Definitely not Systran, IMO. Never heard of a customer that would use it or require their translators to use it. On the other hand SDL STudio is the present industry standard, and it is very solid and easy to use IMO. But all depends on for whom you would work. If most of your customers ask for WFP, buy WFP.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apples and pears Jan 27, 2015

As Samuel points out above, Systran and Trados are two completely different animals. I used to use an old version of Systran around the turn of the century and found it useful for certain types of text.
However, when they brought out the new 64-bit version, I found it much less user-friendly than the original one, and even though I had paid for a licence I ended up never using it.
My advice is to go for a CAT tool like Wordfast Classic, which is the one I use, although everybody se
... See more
As Samuel points out above, Systran and Trados are two completely different animals. I used to use an old version of Systran around the turn of the century and found it useful for certain types of text.
However, when they brought out the new 64-bit version, I found it much less user-friendly than the original one, and even though I had paid for a licence I ended up never using it.
My advice is to go for a CAT tool like Wordfast Classic, which is the one I use, although everybody seems to be recommending MEMO Q these days, so perhaps that is worth trying out.
And I'd just like to add that I would only ever use choose to use Trados if I were dragged into it kicking and screaming. T is for Too expensive, too many bells, too many whistles...
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Agree Jan 27, 2015

Nikita Kobrin wrote:
MemoQ

That's my choice.

[Edited at 2015-01-27 13:00 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:44
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
There is only one real choice… Jan 27, 2015

memoQ is a great program, but soooooo sloooooow these days. Like wading through glue. It's also well on its way to becoming just another Trados. That is, corporate.

Try http://cafetran.com/Much cheaper, much faster/lighter.

... See more
memoQ is a great program, but soooooo sloooooow these days. Like wading through glue. It's also well on its way to becoming just another Trados. That is, corporate.

Try http://cafetran.com/Much cheaper, much faster/lighter.

http://cafetranhelp.com/
http://cafetranhelp.com/changelog
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/cafetranslators

[Edited at 2015-01-27 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
industry standard? Jan 28, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

On the other hand SDL STudio is the present industry standard, and it is very solid and easy to use IMO.

Old Trados (2007) was the so-called industry standard but I am not sure about Studio. AFAIK, Wordfast and Across are used widely in the States. Across is a preferred CAT also in Germany. As for other European countries, memoQ looks like the leader. Studio? No idea who uses it.

It is a fact that memoQ sells much more than Studio in ProZ TGB.

But if a MT tool is asked, this discussion is useless.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Ridiculous statement... Jan 29, 2015

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Studio? No idea who uses it.

... I think the volume of posts, not just with problems, but also with answers, in the Studio forum is some indication. TGB sales are hardly a basis of volume either, at least for SDL they are no basis as this forms a pretty small part of the total sales numbers.

Also worth noting that Systran7Premium is not just an MT solution so I think it's a valid question from the OP if these are the only solutions they are aware of.

This was the best advice I think:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Download a trial version and test yourself. There are several good (or bad) CAT tools, e.g. OmegaT, CafeTran, MetaTexis, Swordfish, Wordfast, Across, Transit, memoQ, Fluency, SDL Studio, Deja Vu X, and much more.

Go to the websites for the tools above, download a trial and make your own mind up. Come back and ask your questions when you have a better idea about what you want the tool for and have had a play with as many tools as you can. So what filetypes are you going to be translating, do you need to integrate your tool with any other processes, are you going to work with other translators, do you like to get formal trg or teach yourself, do you want a support & maintenance contract, what's your budget, what kind of computer do you use (Windows, Mac, Linux), do you use Microsoft products or Open Office products... all these and more are questions that can help you shape your answer and help you find the tool to suit your own requirements.

It's interesting to see which ones people prefer, but in these numbers it's hardly indicative of anything... in my opinion!

Regards

Paul

Antonio Tirado
Antonio Tirado  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A much appreciated "Thanks" Jan 29, 2015

I sincerely appreciate everybody's input and perspective on product choice. It is your opinions, both personsally and professionally, of which matter on issues of our profession; especially for someone such as myself being a first-time product purchaser of translation software. Much appreciation and good luck to all respective responders. Thanks a million.

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Free trials and more comparison at http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/ Feb 12, 2015

ProZ.com's http://www.proz.com/software-comparison-tool/ offers side by side comparisons on feature sets, requirements, user reviews and more. Plus each listing has a link to the free trial download so you can determine which program best meets your needs.

Drew

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:14
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados Feb 13, 2015

I find trados the most convenient to use, and also the one that most of my clients ask for. Its latest version has I think done away with Java altogether and that has made it considerably bug free - most of the problems with termbases were due to the Java plugin that trados used.

But I agree it is very expensive.

Memoq comes a close second. If the client can provide you a working licence, it is practically free for you to use.

I have also sometimes used Acr
... See more
I find trados the most convenient to use, and also the one that most of my clients ask for. Its latest version has I think done away with Java altogether and that has made it considerably bug free - most of the problems with termbases were due to the Java plugin that trados used.

But I agree it is very expensive.

Memoq comes a close second. If the client can provide you a working licence, it is practically free for you to use.

I have also sometimes used Across and have found it to have almost all the features that Trados or memoq has. It's freelancer version is completely free. But few clients demand Across.

There are also other options, like Wordfast, for example.

So there it is. CAT tool use is mostly client driven, so in the end you might end up having to use several of them if you have a wide enough client base.

[Edited at 2015-02-13 01:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I do not know which software to purchase, Trados or Systran7Premium?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »