Request to participate in a survey on analysis of overheads
Thread poster: icymicy
icymicy
icymicy
Germany
Feb 26, 2015

Dear community,

I would like to publish a survey in this group focused on professional translators.
Many translators, especially freelancers have to deal with different areas besides the actual translation process, such as accounting, customer relationship management, marketing etc.

The purpose of this survey is to define and analyse these processes and hopefully to generate useful results for the industry.

The survey consists of 12 short questions,
... See more
Dear community,

I would like to publish a survey in this group focused on professional translators.
Many translators, especially freelancers have to deal with different areas besides the actual translation process, such as accounting, customer relationship management, marketing etc.

The purpose of this survey is to define and analyse these processes and hopefully to generate useful results for the industry.

The survey consists of 12 short questions, 11 multiple choice and 1 open-ended question. The response should take max. 3 minutes.

I would be very grateful, if you would take that time to answer the survey.

The link to the survey is:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1m9NT4O5FCVUo0bG4LCxCwjQvFWIzAhPdNbYGtMuPQA4/viewform?usp=send_form

The collected data will be handled confidentially and is only for the research purposes of IE University in Spain.

Thank you!
Collapse

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:20
French to Spanish
+ ...
Done Feb 28, 2015

Done, good luck

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Done! Feb 28, 2015

Good luck. When you have your results, would you mind sharing an overview here?

Simone Catania
Simone Catania  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to Italian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Done! Mar 1, 2015

Good luck with your research!

icymicy
icymicy
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Mar 2, 2015

Thanks everyone

Tushar Deep
Tushar Deep  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
Done! Mar 7, 2015

Thanks!

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
Interested in your results as well Mar 7, 2015

If, instead of ignoring Tomas' request, you confirm that you will share with us an overview of your results, even if it's 2 years from now, by posting in this same thread, I'm sure many people will be happy to take your survey and subscribe to this thread in order to be warned when the time comes.

On the other hand, if you won't bother, I'm not sure why we should...

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Results? Hm ... Mar 7, 2015

In the very first question a checkbox for "Less than 1 job" is missing. Additionally the "1 - 5 jobs" intervall is far to wide, while the higher intervalls are too narrow. Such intervalls must not be linearly graded, but progessively: There is a huge difference between 1 and 5 jobs while the difference between 20 and 25 jobs is relatively small.

Additionally, a question like "How much time do you spend per month on translating" is missing. What about part-time working? What about
... See more
In the very first question a checkbox for "Less than 1 job" is missing. Additionally the "1 - 5 jobs" intervall is far to wide, while the higher intervalls are too narrow. Such intervalls must not be linearly graded, but progessively: There is a huge difference between 1 and 5 jobs while the difference between 20 and 25 jobs is relatively small.

Additionally, a question like "How much time do you spend per month on translating" is missing. What about part-time working? What about lack of jobs?

If I have 10 jobs, shall I click "5 - 10 jobs" or "10 - 15 jobs"? Is "4 hours" less than "half a day"?

As "up to 30% obviously includes "up to 90%", the wording is strange for people who are good at languages.

etc., etc. ...

Of course, any answers on any questions may be converted into pretty-looking pie charts, but will these charts be sound? I'm just remembering the previous survey with its "More than 100%" figures ...
Collapse

Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
Agree Mar 8, 2015

I have to agree with these scientific remarks, and add something more obvious: many elements of overheads have not been considered in the questionnaire, like chasing payment, disruption of urgent jobs/interactions, and other which I have included in the comments but can't remember at the moment. For the record I had posted my previous message before to take the test. I was just interested in the topic. All this is immaterial because OP doesn't read our comments.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Who's counting? Mar 10, 2015

Rolf Keller wrote:

Additionally, a question like "How much time do you spend per month on translating" is missing. What about part-time working? What about lack of jobs?

To me, such as "How much time do you spend per month..." are a pain in the neck to respond to. My usual answer would tend to be equally vague and open, along the lines of "as much as humanly possible"...

PS: In fact, what am I even doing here? I should be working right now...

[Edited at 2015-03-10 11:50 GMT]

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:20
German to English
+ ...
Done Mar 10, 2015

Good luck with the research.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request to participate in a survey on analysis of overheads

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »