A new dictionary in print: good advices?
Thread poster: Silvia Di Profio
Silvia Di Profio
Silvia Di Profio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:14
Member (2015)
English to Italian
Feb 27, 2015

I need a new general English dictionary.
As I'm planning to prepare the DipTrans IoLET examination, maybe it's time to do an excellent buy, so I thought to ask you all for useful suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Silvia

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
In which direction? Feb 28, 2015

You haven't said whether you want an English-Italian, an Italian-English or a monolingual English dictionary. If you are talking about bilingual ones, I know nothing about the actual situation with the EN-IT/IT-EN dictionaries, but as a general rule, all other things being equal, I would recommend to get a dictionary published in the country of the target language.

Silvia Di Profio
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
monolingual Feb 28, 2015

Anton Konashenok wrote:

You haven't said whether you want an English-Italian, an Italian-English or a monolingual English dictionary. If you are talking about bilingual ones, I know nothing about the actual situation with the EN-IT/IT-EN dictionaries, but as a general rule, all other things being equal, I would recommend to get a dictionary published in the country of the target language.

Sorry, Anton
I posted a similar request on Italian forum, so I forgot to point out here what I was searching for.
I was thinking about a good and up-to-date monolingual English dictionary, in addiction to a bilingual one (published in Italy).

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:14
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Chambers? Feb 28, 2015

Silvia Di Profio wrote:
I was thinking about a good and up-to-date monolingual English dictionary, in addiction to a bilingual one (published in Italy).

Silvia, I have been happy with previous versions of the Collins English Dictionary which, I note, also has a handy Kindle version these days that can replace the standard Kindle dictionary.

The dictionary that has the best reputation for unusual English words and that is accordingly well liked by crossword lovers is the Chambers. However, Chambers made a printing mistake in the 13th edition and omitted several hundred words (!) so if you want a paper version you might want to buy the 12th edition or wait for the corrected version of the 13th due out this year.

There is a smartphone/tablet version of the Chambers, which is the 11th edition so slightly out-of-date (2008) but very handy as a portable reference - the paper version weighs 2.5kg. It's also fantastic value at GBP 4.99.

Dan

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Chambers!! Feb 28, 2015

If you are thinking about a one-volume dictionary, the Chambers is definitely the way to go if you ask me. Not just because it has lots of older words and a rich variety of cultural entries, but also because its wording is very concise, and often witty and fun.

If you have a bigger budget and also more space in the suitcase, then the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, which comes in two very comprehensive volumes.

I took both the SOED and the Chambers to my DipTrans exa
... See more
If you are thinking about a one-volume dictionary, the Chambers is definitely the way to go if you ask me. Not just because it has lots of older words and a rich variety of cultural entries, but also because its wording is very concise, and often witty and fun.

If you have a bigger budget and also more space in the suitcase, then the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, which comes in two very comprehensive volumes.

I took both the SOED and the Chambers to my DipTrans exam and was glad I did. I think I remember having checked the Chambers more often, though. I carried two full suitcases of dictionaries, anyway...
Collapse

Silvia Di Profio
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
12th edition Feb 28, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Silvia, I have been happy with previous versions of the Collins English Dictionary which, I note, also has a handy Kindle version these days that can replace the standard Kindle dictionary.

The dictionary that has the best reputation for unusual English words and that is accordingly well liked by crossword lovers is the Chambers. However, Chambers made a printing mistake in the 13th edition and omitted several hundred words (!) so if you want a paper version you might want to buy the 12th edition or wait for the corrected version of the 13th due out this year.

Thanks, Dan
more than one feedback on amazon agrees with you about the 13th edition.

Dan Lucas wrote:
There is a smartphone/tablet version of the Chambers, which is the 11th edition so slightly out-of-date (2008) but very handy as a portable reference - the paper version weighs 2.5kg. It's also fantastic value at GBP 4.99.

Dan

Great price at all, but I'm afraid I can't take my smartphone with me on the examination's day.

Silvia Di Profio
Italy
Member (2015)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
heavy but effective Feb 28, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I took both the SOED and the Chambers to my DipTrans exam and was glad I did. I think I remember having checked the Chambers more often, though. I carried two full suitcases of dictionaries, anyway...

I'm impressed, Tomàs...Chambers seems to weigh about 2,5 kgs and both SOED about 6 kgs! A diploma really earned by the sweat of your brow!

Thank you for the precious advices.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new dictionary in print: good advices?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »