Thread poster: flora Yu
flora Yu
flora Yu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:57
Japanese to Chinese
+ ...
May 5, 2015

Hi, I'm planning to buy a new machine for my work as the old one is crashing...

Since I have never used Mac before, I need your help to give me some suggestions. According to an article on KB on SDL, Trados should be installed on a VM in order to function properly.

Does any one use Mac for translation? I appreciate if you can share your experience!!!

BTW, I'm watching on Mac Air, is 4G RAM sufficient for running Trados and other office tools?

... See more
Hi, I'm planning to buy a new machine for my work as the old one is crashing...

Since I have never used Mac before, I need your help to give me some suggestions. According to an article on KB on SDL, Trados should be installed on a VM in order to function properly.

Does any one use Mac for translation? I appreciate if you can share your experience!!!

BTW, I'm watching on Mac Air, is 4G RAM sufficient for running Trados and other office tools?

Thanks in advance!!!
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 12:57
English to Indonesian
+ ...
BootCamp May 5, 2015

You will need to install Windows on the MBA to run Trados. You can either do that in a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox), or using Bootcamp. If you want to buy an MBA with 4 GB of RAM, only the BootCamp option is viable. It means that you don't have to buy and install a virtual machine (though VirtualBox is free), and that you can use all of your available RAM for Windows. This should be enough to run any CAT tool, although more RAM = better. Windows will use a swap file on your ha... See more
You will need to install Windows on the MBA to run Trados. You can either do that in a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox), or using Bootcamp. If you want to buy an MBA with 4 GB of RAM, only the BootCamp option is viable. It means that you don't have to buy and install a virtual machine (though VirtualBox is free), and that you can use all of your available RAM for Windows. This should be enough to run any CAT tool, although more RAM = better. Windows will use a swap file on your hard drive if there's not enough physical RAM. Since the hard drive is an SSD, this should do.* The disadvantage of BootCamp, is that you have to re-boot every time you want to switch from Windows to OS X, and vv. Boot times are pretty fast, though.

You can also decide to use the Mac operating system only.

Cheers,

Hans

* For reasons I don't understand, the SSD on the 13" MBA is twice as fast as the one on the 11" version.
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:57
French to English
+ ...
Not without Windows May 5, 2015

I use a Macbook and unfortunately Trados doesn't work on the Mac OS - I've used Bootcamp to install Windows onto my Macbook instead. I believe you can also use a program like Parallels to switch between operating systems more easily, because with Bootcamp you have to restart your computer every time you want to switch from Windows to Mac. I hope that helps a bit!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
RAM May 5, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

I use a Macbook and unfortunately Trados doesn't work on the Mac OS - I've used Bootcamp to install Windows onto my Macbook instead. I believe you can also use a program like Parallels to switch between operating systems more easily, because with Bootcamp you have to restart your computer every time you want to switch from Windows to Mac. I hope that helps a bit!

...to which I would add that 4GB of RAM is really on the edge. You should have the maximum RAM possible installed - because as well as the OS itself, + Parallels if you use it, +your browser, email, Trados, Word, and all the rest of it, your computer is going to want as much RAM as it can get.

Also: if you're going for a portable Mac, make sure it can power a big display.

[Edited at 2015-05-05 11:41 GMT]

flora Yu
China
Japanese to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
only option May 5, 2015

Meta Arkadia wrote:

You will need to install Windows on the MBA to run Trados. You can either do that in a virtual machine (Parallels, VMWare, VirtualBox), or using Bootcamp. If you want to buy an MBA with 4 GB of RAM, only the BootCamp option is viable. It means that you don't have to buy and install a virtual machine (though VirtualBox is free), and that you can use all of your available RAM for Windows. This should be enough to run any CAT tool, although more RAM = better. Windows will use a swap file on your hard drive if there's not enough physical RAM. Since the hard drive is an SSD, this should do.* The disadvantage of BootCamp, is that you have to re-boot every time you want to switch from Windows to OS X, and vv. Boot times are pretty fast, though.

You can also decide to use the Mac operating system only.

Cheers,

Hans

* For reasons I don't understand, the SSD on the 13" MBA is twice as fast as the one on the 11" version.

Hi Meta,

Thank you for sharing this! It seems BootCamp is my only option if I buy Mac Air
And for productivity, I won't choose 11" version...

flora Yu
China
Japanese to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RAM May 5, 2015

Natalie Soper wrote:

I don't mind reboot the computer, now I'm worried about the RAM...

Flora

sans22 (X)
sans22 (X)
Sweden
Local time: 06:57
Macbook air and Studio 2014 May 5, 2015

Hi
I use my macbook air and bootcamp for running Trados and Windos 8.1. I have no problems whatsoever and it works great. I like the advantage of being able to use the Apple programs if I want to and don't mind having to reboot in order to switch between Windows and Mac.

Howard Camm
Howard Camm  Identity Verified
Belgium
Italian to English
+ ...
Not a hope! May 5, 2015

Hallo, A short while ago, I asked almost the identical question here! I recently upgraded from BlackBerry and PC to iPhone, iPad and iMac - a huge difference in performance and so much better for translation work. No, TRADOS in any incarnation will not work properly on a Mac OS and even if you decide to use an emulator (why would you want a Mac to emulate a PC !?), it all ends in tears. The really sad part is that, even when I contacted SDL TRADOS directly, they showed absolutely no interest in ... See more
Hallo, A short while ago, I asked almost the identical question here! I recently upgraded from BlackBerry and PC to iPhone, iPad and iMac - a huge difference in performance and so much better for translation work. No, TRADOS in any incarnation will not work properly on a Mac OS and even if you decide to use an emulator (why would you want a Mac to emulate a PC !?), it all ends in tears. The really sad part is that, even when I contacted SDL TRADOS directly, they showed absolutely no interest in the issue and indicated that they had "no plans at all" to even address the question of compatibility, let alone develop a Mac version. Indeed, the best advice they could offer was "why not just run it on your old PC?". I personally have no regrets at my system upgrade choices and would be happy to email my Mac-friendly CAT tools list, should you wish to email me off forum.
Met vriendelijke groet, Dr Howard Camm.

[Bijgewerkt op 2015-05-05 15:10 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Silly Trados May 5, 2015

Dr Howard Camm wrote:

..... when I contacted SDL TRADOS directly, they showed absolutely no interest in the issue and indicated that they had "no plans at all" to even address the question of compatibility, let alone develop a Mac version.

Trados is controlled by some very silly people. It can't be too difficult to create a Mac version of Trados. They're shutting themselves out of a potentially lucrative market sector.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:57
Finnish to French
Get 8 GB and use virtualization instead of Bootcamp May 6, 2015

flora Yu wrote:
It seems BootCamp is my only option if I buy Mac Air

If you are going to spend USD/EUR 1000+ on a MacBook Air, pay the extra USD/EUR 100 to get 8 GB instead of the base 4 GB. With 8 GB, you will be able to run Windows comfortably in a virtual machine, which is way more convenient than using BootCamp.

Btw, I have a 2010 MacBook Air with 4 GB, and Windows 8 running in a virtual machine (virtualization software: VMWare Fusion). No problem running heavy-weight applications like Studio 2014 or memoQ inside that VM. Obviously, I wouldn't want to run several heavy-weight applications at the same time on both the OS X and the Windows side.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Emulation vs. virtualization May 6, 2015

Dr Howard Camm wrote:
No, TRADOS in any incarnation will not work properly on a Mac OS and even if you decide to use an emulator (why would you want a Mac to emulate a PC !?), it all ends in tears.

You are confusing emulation with virtualization, which are two entirely different things. Virtualization is a perfectly viable solution on modern hardware (plenty of RAM, big and fast hardware). Can you explain the "it all ends in tears"? Running Trados (or almost any other Windows application) inside a Windows virtual machine on a new/powerful Mac is no different from running it on a "real" PC.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Running SDL Trados Studio on MacBook May 7, 2015

1. Don't buy 11" MacBook Air if you intend to use it on the go, without a second large monitor. The screen will be too small for comfortable work. Do buy a 13" model.

2. Do buy 8GB RAM. This will let you make full use of 64-bit Windows and MS Office edutions. Besides, if you opt for running your Windows virtual machine under Parallels Desktop, you will need to distribute RAM between two system. 8GB RAM will therefore come very handy.

3. Do u
... See more
1. Don't buy 11" MacBook Air if you intend to use it on the go, without a second large monitor. The screen will be too small for comfortable work. Do buy a 13" model.

2. Do buy 8GB RAM. This will let you make full use of 64-bit Windows and MS Office edutions. Besides, if you opt for running your Windows virtual machine under Parallels Desktop, you will need to distribute RAM between two system. 8GB RAM will therefore come very handy.

3. Do use Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac (the most current version, available at http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/), rather than Bootcamp option. You will be able to switch between Mac and Windows environments easily by a sweeping gesture.

I have been using SDL Trados Studio 2009/2011/2014 on iMac, MackBook Air and, right now, on 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display, since 2009 without any problems whatsoever. My current setup includes 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display as a primary monitor.

Hope it helps.

Regards,
Vladimir
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Maybe I am missing the point here, but..... May 7, 2015

.... why buying a Mac and using Windows to work with Trados? Why don't you buy a Windows computer right away?

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Nothing wrong in running Windows on a Mac May 8, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Why don't you buy a Windows computer right away?

The original poster said her PC kept crashing. She's probably hoping Macs are up to their reputation as higher-quality hardware and may have heard the usual claims about inherent lack of viruses etc.

There's nothing wrong in running Windows in a virtual machine on a Mac, it's a perfectly viable solution. There are also CAT tools available for OS X that handle the SDL stuff quite well (for those who don't want to run Windows).

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Confirmed May 8, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
Why don't you buy a Windows computer right away?

The original poster said her PC kept crashing. She's probably hoping Macs are up to their reputation as higher-quality hardware and may have heard the usual claims about inherent lack of viruses etc.

There's nothing wrong in running Windows in a virtual machine on a Mac, it's a perfectly viable solution. There are also CAT tools available for OS X that handle the SDL stuff quite well (for those who don't want to run Windows).

Confirmed. Macs don't go wrong, don't get viruses, and the Mac operating system is a pleasure to use. I moved from DOS to the Mac in (as I recall) 1995 and have never once had a virus, nor ever needed the help of a "computer technician" (sad characters who I believe are a regular presence in the life of PC users).

Any issues I've ever had have been resolved by using the very helpful MacOS discussion forums. Not that there have been any major problems. Once you've learned your way around the MacOS, and so long as you know how to carry out a few very simple TLC procedures, you become your own "computer guru". I think that's why hardened PC users dislike Macs: they're too easy to use and it's more macho to know how to fix a PC that's playing up !

As for running Windows in emulation mode on a Mac: I've seen Parallels in operation and it's impressive; but I imagine all the defects of Windows would reproduce themselves in the emulator. So there'd be no benefit. I could run Windows right here on this Mac, but have no intention of doing so.

http://www.apple.com/osx/what-is/

[Edited at 2015-05-08 07:10 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

[Help] Does Trados work on MacBook?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »