Comprehensive list of terminology/termbase file formats
Thread poster: ..... (X)
..... (X)
..... (X)
Local time: 10:08
Oct 7, 2015

Hi all,

In the same vein as this thread, I'd like to compile a list of terminology/glossary/termbase file formats.

I'll start it off and if we get a lot of good responses from this thread I'll make a resource page with all of the formats. Please keep it only to terminology/glossary/termbase files, for translation memory files p
... See more
Hi all,

In the same vein as this thread, I'd like to compile a list of terminology/glossary/termbase file formats.

I'll start it off and if we get a lot of good responses from this thread I'll make a resource page with all of the formats. Please keep it only to terminology/glossary/termbase files, for translation memory files please comment on this thread.

Please try to match the following format:

Name:
File extension:
Type: (open or proprietary)
Link(s):

NB: for purposes of this thread I define 'open' to mean that the specifications are published on the Internet and 'proprietary' if the specifications are not published.

----------

Name: TermBase eXchange
File extension: .tbx
Type: open
Link(s): TBX Specification

Name: CafeTran Glossary
File extension: .csv (tab-delimited)
Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If one of the CafeTran users can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): CafeTran Help - Using Glossaries

Name: Wordfast Glossary
File extension: .txt (tab-delimited)
Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If someone can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): Wikipedia

Name: SDL MultiTerm
File extension: .sdltb
Type: proprietary
Link(s): SDL Product Help
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:08
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TMX termbases Oct 7, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:

I think the extension for tab delimited glossary files in CafeTran is .txt rather than .csv. "Think," because I don't use them. I prefer the much more sophisticated .tmx format for terms in CafeTran.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
.csv > .txt Oct 7, 2015

Kevin Dias wrote:

Hi all,

I'll start it off and if we get a lot of good responses from this thread I'll make a resource page with all of the formats. Please keep it only to terminology/glossary/termbase files, for translation memory files please comment on this thread.

Please try to match the following format:

Name:
File extension:
Type: (open or proprietary)
Link(s):

NB: for purposes of this thread I define 'open' to mean that the specifications are published on the Internet and 'proprietary' if the specifications are not published.

----------

Name: TermBase eXchange
File extension: .tbx
Type: open
Link(s): TBX Specification

Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If one of the CafeTran users can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): CafeTran Help - Using Glossaries

Name: Wordfast Glossary
File extension: .txt (tab-delimited)
Type: proprietary Note: The format is basically open; however I am not aware of a published specification. If someone can point me to one I will change this to open.
Link(s): Wikipedia

Name: SDL MultiTerm
File extension: .sdltb
Type: proprietary
Link(s): SDL Product Help

.csv is just how I save my glossaries in CafeTran (so I can have them opened automatically by Ron's CSV Editor). As far as I know, the official format is tab-delimited UTF-8 .txt

Michael

[Edited at 2015-10-07 12:05 GMT]

PS: In CafeTran you can also store your terminology in TMXs.

[Edited at 2015-10-07 12:06 GMT]

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:08
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
What is the use of this topic? Oct 7, 2015

There is an article in Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation_memory

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive list of terminology/termbase file formats

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »