Link to Season 1 episodes: http://blabbingtranslators.com/season-one/

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Survey option N/A May 25, 2016

Your survey on CAT tool use is lacking the N/A option (Not Applicable - none of the options available apply). Or "Other".

[Edited at 2016-05-25 16:40 GMT]

PS: Although it may seem like a non sequitur, I posted my comment about the survey here because when I click on it, it takes me straight to the questionnaire, which I was unable to complete.

PSS: As for Blab, I agree with phil about the connotations. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but the idea soun
... See more
Your survey on CAT tool use is lacking the N/A option (Not Applicable - none of the options available apply). Or "Other".

[Edited at 2016-05-25 16:40 GMT]

PS: Although it may seem like a non sequitur, I posted my comment about the survey here because when I click on it, it takes me straight to the questionnaire, which I was unable to complete.

PSS: As for Blab, I agree with phil about the connotations. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but the idea sounds good.

[Edited at 2016-05-25 20:36 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Blab May 25, 2016

Has negative connotations to me. It means talk too much and/or betray confidences.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
German to English
+ ...
Initial thoughts May 25, 2016

As a translator, I don't need to learn about translation because I know about translation. In my spare time I want to get away from it. If this were done by top notch experts with 100 years experience, geared at other professionals, giving me a chance to learn despite my years of experience and training, I'd be interested.

If it's addressed to our customers, then my feelings are ambivalent. It would be nice for our profession to be understood and respected. If anyone can get this
... See more
As a translator, I don't need to learn about translation because I know about translation. In my spare time I want to get away from it. If this were done by top notch experts with 100 years experience, geared at other professionals, giving me a chance to learn despite my years of experience and training, I'd be interested.

If it's addressed to our customers, then my feelings are ambivalent. It would be nice for our profession to be understood and respected. If anyone can get this going, that is very welcome. I filled out the Canadian census and once again my profession isn't even listed, despite the same government giving translation a major role given its bilingual nature. But we don't exist.

But if anything is misrepresented, then it makes my work harder in terms of client reeducation. I ran into two "advisory" articles this morning on LinkedIn. The idea has potential, though.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Babble vs blab May 26, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:
Main page: http://blabbingtranslators.com/

So, has the creator of this site just confused "blabbing" and "babbling", or do these translators really "blab" (i.e. reveal secrets by indiscreet talk)? Is this like a WikiLeaks for translators?

[Edited at 2016-05-26 07:58 GMT]

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blabbing May 26, 2016

I think it's called blabbing partially because the chat platform they use is called BLAB. It kind of works like gomeeting, expect there is a hand-clapping icon under each talking head and you can applaud every time they make an interesting comment.

The videos are also available on YouTube. The most recent interview was with Steve Vitek of the blog Mad Patent Translator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6pzqJx5Oc&feature=youtu.be

Samuel Murray wrote:

LegalTransform wrote:

So, has the creator of this site just confused "blabbing" and "babbling", or do these translators really "blab" (i.e. reveal secrets by indiscreet talk)? Is this like a WikiLeaks for translators?

Dmitry Kornyukhov
Dmitry Kornyukhov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:39
English to Russian
+ ...
Blab is the platform we use May 26, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

LegalTransform wrote:

Hey Samuel!

Good point! I'm well aware of the connotation of the word "blab" but we're trying to give it a new meaning ("talk", "have a chat"). I decided to go with that name simply because the platform that we use for our show is called Blab.im, hence the name of our show: Blabbing Translators. I thought it was clever and funny at the time, but it seems like it puts people off (Note to self: never use puns ever again)

But with 15 episodes into the 1st season I feel like it's too late to back off and do a rebranding. I guess, we have to live with it. I hope it won't affect the number of views and won't stop people from checking the show out. Sorry if the name is so confusing, guys! Didn't mean it to be that way.

As for the audience, the format and the intention:

The show is geared towards translators. We talk about a variety of topics from video game localization, to working with self-published authors. Our guests choose the topic and we build our episode around it (Elena and I prepare questions, plus viewers can ask questions too), people can even call-in, but so far our audience has been a bit camera shy. Every episode is different and each an every guest brings something interesting for us to discuss

Since it's not geared towards clients, we're trying to keep things casual and light-hearted. In some episodes you might see us showing off our cats, for example

This is not a webinar where people gather together to teach and learn, it's more of a digital equivalent of a social gathering at a cafe. We go live every Wednesday at 12 pm EST and then share recordings on YouTube, Soundcloud, iTunes and publish recaps on The Open Mic (https://theopenmic.co).

First season is available here: http://blabbingtranslators.com/season-one/

Let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions!

[Edited at 2016-05-26 16:38 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
German to English
+ ...
thanks for the elucidation May 26, 2016

It was hard to get a feel for it simply from a title. It's actually a good idea, and the light hearted among colleagues approach is a good one. It is nice to see something that isn't the usual know-it-all didactic formula. I like the fact that one has a choice of watching the video or using the sound file, and then being able to fast forward or go back - while the multiple windows on all three speakers is an excellent format.
Personally I was happy to see an older translator featured in
... See more
It was hard to get a feel for it simply from a title. It's actually a good idea, and the light hearted among colleagues approach is a good one. It is nice to see something that isn't the usual know-it-all didactic formula. I like the fact that one has a choice of watching the video or using the sound file, and then being able to fast forward or go back - while the multiple windows on all three speakers is an excellent format.
Personally I was happy to see an older translator featured in the last of the episodes. There is the freshness of newer things perhaps with the younger translators, plus the enthusiasm through the newness of it, but also the ripeness of experience and accumulated experience. Some of us have several decades behind us.

Re: "blab" -- I sort of see it as "blablablabla" and that is humourous and self-depreciating i.e. toned down. The word "blab" also means to spill out secrets, to not be able to keep one's mouth shut. But I think that blablabla idea might attach itself to the general tone.

Certainly you have put a lot of work into this. Congratulations.

[Edited at 2016-05-26 23:20 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Sounds like a Snowdon exposé May 27, 2016

Blabbing has very negative connotation and sounds as though you are divulging confidential information on your clients. Or at least that was my take on the title of this thread.

I was expecting to read something on translators being hauled into court for dropping names or something, particularly as it appeared at one point directly below the thread on the translation agency blowing millions of dollars on a mansion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blabbing Translators - Talk show about translators and translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »