Glossaries and Termbanks for our Translators
Thread poster: Marina Kiel
Oct 25, 2016

Dear Users, Translators and Agencies!

As a translation agency we always look for opportunities to make the life of our translators and customers easier. That's why we would like to buy terminology, termbanks and glossaries for our main translation fields (logistics, mechanical engineering, SAP) which we could then put into an Excel sheet and upload in our translation tools and offer our clients for their internal use.

I checked the Internet and I find a lot of online di
... See more

As a translation agency we always look for opportunities to make the life of our translators and customers easier. That's why we would like to buy terminology, termbanks and glossaries for our main translation fields (logistics, mechanical engineering, SAP) which we could then put into an Excel sheet and upload in our translation tools and offer our clients for their internal use.

I checked the Internet and I find a lot of online dictionaries for these fields but when asking those companies for a download version they told me that they don't offer this as it is not their intention. Of course, we would be willing to pay for such lists.

Do you have an idea where to find high quality term banks for different industrial areas?

Thanks a lot for your comments and answers.

Marina
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
WORDBOOK Oct 26, 2016

Marina Kiel wrote:

I checked the Internet and I find a lot of online dictionaries for these fields but when asking those companies for a download version they told me that they don't offer this as it is not their intention. Of course, we would be willing to pay for such lists.

Do you have an idea where to find high quality term banks for different industrial areas?

Thanks a lot for your comments and answers.

Marina

Hi Marina,

I have a few (mostly DutchEnglish) available via my WORDBOOK page @ http://beijer.uk/WORDBOOK.html

Michael

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not for sale Oct 26, 2016

My glossaries are like the family silver. I would not sell them.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 14:32
English to German
Use a tool for searching several files with a single click Oct 26, 2016

Marina Kiel wrote:

I checked the Internet and I find a lot of online dictionaries for these fields but when asking those companies for a download version they told me that they don't offer this as it is not their intention.

You get .tbx downloads from Microsoft, IATE and https://alexandria-translation-resources.com/

For .tbx and Excel files I recommend Omni-Lookup, a tool with sophisticated wildcard search features. This tool enables you to search several files with a single click. This way you don't miss hits because of a restrictive search policy: Many dictionaries contain many terms that are unrelated to the respective dictionary's topic.

www.omni-lookup.de

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:32
German to English
+ ...
Same here Oct 27, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Elena Aclasto
Elena Aclasto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:32
English to Italian
+ ...
Agree Oct 27, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

I was about to say the same thing.

Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
Agree Oct 27, 2016

Also, don't most translators' glossaries contain organisation specific terms and language, which can't and shouldn't be shared around?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries and Termbanks for our Translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »