Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:08
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Sep 3, 2015

I've noticed that PC/Windows users all seem to have a "technical guy". What do these "technical guys" do? How much do they cost you per month/year, on average? How much down-time do they take, fixing your computer? What is it that goes wrong with your computer?

[Edited at 2015-09-03 15:42 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Haven't seen any technical guys round here... Sep 3, 2015

Tom in London wrote:
I've noticed that PC/Windows users all seem to have a "technical guy". What do these "technical guys" do? How much do they cost you per month/year, on average? How much down-time do they take, fixing your computer? What is it that goes wrong with your computer?

I upgraded to Windows 7 in late 2008, I think. I'm a fairly demanding user, so I install and uninstall a good deal of software, some of it unusual. No problems large enough to remember. No failures to boot. No viruses. Can't remember the last time I had a system crash. It just works. And no, I don't have a technical guy.

Er, this isn't what you want to hear is it?

Dan
PS no problems with Windows 10 either
PPS you're just in between projects and bored aren't you?

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:08
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
No technical guy Sep 3, 2015

Windows PCs are cheap. If it breaks, I just buy a new one, or boot up one the several spares I have lying around.

[Edited at 2015-09-03 16:05 GMT]

Lourdes Barrientos
Lourdes Barrientos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
The technical guy conundrum, haha! Sep 3, 2015

Here in California USA, there is a service provided by the
Electronics seller "BEST BUY", called The Geek Sqad.
They go where the technical problem is.
My tech guy is non other than... ... ...
YouTube!
Or, my niece's husband, who is a genius.
It all really depends on what you need, and how
badly you computer is behaving!
See what other people say...
Good day you all,
Lulú

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Let me guess... Sep 3, 2015

You have an Apple computer and you're lording it over us lesser mortals

I'm not hugely computer literate, and the last time I used a technical girl (they're not all guys) was about five years ago.

[Edited at 2015-09-03 17:58 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster's request
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:08
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I have a technical guy Sep 3, 2015

only for really "serious" problems. Normally, I manage to solve quite a bit of issues on my own.

I had a serious problem with Windows 8 since I purchased my new laptop with this OS. It's called "aversion" (indeed, we have a difficult relatonship...), but here, nobody can help me, unfortunately

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Details please Sep 3, 2015

I've been told by a PC "technical guy" that when he "repairs" a computer he inserts new problems that will activate at a future date, requiring the user to call him again....

I'm asking because I'm interested in knowing exactly what the problems are that arise. I'm thinking about buying a cheap PC just to explore Windows, and I worry that I might run into problems I wouldn't be able to fix myself.

So - details please?

[Edited at 2015-09-03 20:34 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wrong Sep 3, 2015

philgoddard wrote:

You have an Apple computer and you're lording it over us lesser mortals

I don't lord it over anyone, for any reason.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster's request
TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Getting computer help Sep 3, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

I've been told by a PC "technical guy" that when he "repairs" a computer he inserts new problems that will activate at a future date, requiring the user to call him again....

Or just for the good-looking female ones?

Never tried that myself - they manage to break themselves often enough unaided. Usually trivial things though, easy to fix or indeed help someone fix for themselves online.

I'm asking because I'm interested in knowing exactly what the problems are that arise. I'm thinking about buying a cheap PC just to explore Windows, and I worry that I might run into problems I wouldn't be able to fix myself.

Don't worry too much about that, particularly if you're just using it to experiment rather than for anything important. (If you do have anything important, make sure it's well backed up - sticking everything in an online storage system like Dropbox or Google Drive will take care of that for free.) As long as you don't actually physically damage it (drop it, spill stuff in it), all you can cause are software problems - which can always be reversed, by reinstalling Windows (much easier than it sounds) at worst. It's easy enough to get help by asking online, too: if you do break it, I'm guessing posting in here would get you help.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post has been removed
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
OK and Sep 3, 2015

TechStyle wrote:

[It's easy enough to get help by asking online, too: if you do break it, I'm guessing posting in here would get you help.

OK thanks and for a Mac guy who just wants to get to know what Windows (10) is like for translating, what's the cheapest deal you would suggest? (one that wouldn't put me off Windows forever and would make me like it...)?

[Edited at 2015-09-03 21:17 GMT]

TechStyle
TechStyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Trying Windows 10 cheaply Sep 3, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

OK thanks and for a Mac guy who just wants to get to know what Windows (10) is like for translating, what's the cheapest deal you would suggest? (one that wouldn't put me off Windows forever and would make me like it...)?

Cheapest? Install something like VirtualBox or Boot Camp on the Mac, then download a Windows 10 virtual machine from Microsoft's site modern.ie - free for testing purposes, so no charges at all.

It works better with a touch screen, though. (I'd always been sceptical about them - but for things like scrolling on a laptop, it's surprising how convenient that is.) A lot of it is personal; if I were you, I'd go to the nearest PC World (or whatever) and play with their demo machines for a while, see what feels most comfortable in use. Do you have any PC-using friends nearby you could ask for some time on theirs?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a "technical guy"?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »