Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
Polish to English
+ ...
Seven Come Ten Sep 30, 2016

7 at work, 10 at home.

What no one here mentions is Ten's recent mega-update which introduces fairly significant changes to the start button (or whatever it's called these days) and to a number of other features in the system - some visible, some less so.
This sort of gets me worried that "they" gave us one year to get used to the new layout of the OS and now they suddenly rearrange the furniture. How many more times are they going to do this? Why bother?

Otherwis
... See more
7 at work, 10 at home.

What no one here mentions is Ten's recent mega-update which introduces fairly significant changes to the start button (or whatever it's called these days) and to a number of other features in the system - some visible, some less so.
This sort of gets me worried that "they" gave us one year to get used to the new layout of the OS and now they suddenly rearrange the furniture. How many more times are they going to do this? Why bother?

Otherwise I've had no problems upgrading to Ten on three computers at home and I have no problems with the system as such, except for some stoopidities, such as the highly annoying lack of a generic login screen (the computer automatically logs into the last user*), lack of a guest account and a couple other silly things.

I've stopped worrying about it. Seven was/ is a fine system, but unfortunately I feel that continued support from M$ is a necessary evil, so I've moved on.

*Yes, I know you can set passwords and do all kinds of workarounds, but things like these should be factory installed, without users having to resort to silly guerilla tactics.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:15
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
10 can be as good as 7 Sep 30, 2016

Swapping systems from 7 to 10 was actually a lot faster than swapping from XP to 7 a few years ago.

There are also a few in-depth tweaks you can use to get 10 to work as well as 7, setting Windows Updates to "Manual" in Services and setting Ethernet connections to "Metered" if you use a mobile connection for example because 10 is a huge data burner.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:15
German to English
+ ...
on both now Oct 1, 2016

I bought a laptop when my main computer warned of impending hard drive failure just after getting very slow. That computer is getting a new hard drive and is still in the shop. Am having W7 reinstalled in that one. The laptop came with W10 so we kept it. I don't like it as much, but it is not the horror I worried it might be.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Still on Windows 7?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »