how to create a Wordfast Pro unclean file
Thread poster: Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
Mar 16, 2009

Dear All,

I will be very glad, if somebody can tell my how can I create a Wordfast Pro unclean file.

I have received a Word document and my client would like to have both clean and unclean versions.

Thank you very much in advance!

With best wishes!
Ann

[Edited at 2009-03-16 13:49 GMT]

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
Use Wordfast Classic to create an unclean file Mar 16, 2009

AnKrol wrote:

Dear All,

I will be very glad, if somebody can tell my how can I create a Wordfast Pro unclean file.

I have received a Word document and my client would like to have both clean and unclean versions.

With best wishes!
Ann

[Edited at 2009-03-16 13:49 GMT]

Hi Ann,

You cannot create an unclean file using Wordfast Pro. Wordfast Pro generates a bilingual TXML file. You can use Wordfast Classic to create the unclean file that your client requires. You can download Wordfast Classic here - http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . If you are a Wordfast license holder, you have access to both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:33
English to Danish
+ ...
The TXML file is the unclean file Mar 16, 2009

Hi Ankrol,

When working with Wordfast Pro, the unclean file would be the TXML file which is automatically generated when you open a file in the translation environment (the TXML Editor Perspective). You can generate a clean version by using the Save Translated File command form the File menu or by cleaning the file in the PM perspective.

Best regards,

Mette

[Edited at 2009-03-16 17:14 GMT]

Ana Kroll
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 16, 2009

Thanks Mette,

I just wanted to make sure, because I read a lot of about it and I didn't find the term "unclean".

Have nice day!
Ann

Ana Kroll
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 16, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Hi Ann,

You cannot create an unclean file using Wordfast Pro. Wordfast Pro generates a bilingual TXML file. You can use Wordfast Classic to create the unclean file that your client requires. You can download Wordfast Classic here - http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . If you are a Wordfast license holder, you have access to both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Dear Kristyna,

I appreciate your help and assistance.

thank you very much!

Ann

Mette Melchior
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Agencies might also call the TXML file the "unclean" file... Mar 17, 2009

Just a further comment in relation to this:

Although Kristyna maybe only think of an unclean file as a Word doc with the source text embedded as hidden text, I think the translation agency in this case is simply asking to have the TXML file delivered as well to be able to update their TM. As I read AnKrols initial post, she was specifically asked to work in Wordfast Pro - and not Wordfast Classic.

I also work for an agency which has started using Wordfast Pro, and they
... See more
Just a further comment in relation to this:

Although Kristyna maybe only think of an unclean file as a Word doc with the source text embedded as hidden text, I think the translation agency in this case is simply asking to have the TXML file delivered as well to be able to update their TM. As I read AnKrols initial post, she was specifically asked to work in Wordfast Pro - and not Wordfast Classic.

I also work for an agency which has started using Wordfast Pro, and they refer to the bilingual TXML files as "unclean" files as well.

But it is true, that if what you need is an unclean Word doc, you would have to generate that with Wordfast Classic.

[Edited at 2009-03-18 07:16 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Confusion Apr 15, 2009

Mette Melchior wrote:

... I think the translation agency in this case is simply asking to have the TXML file delivered as well to be able to update their TM.

No, no, I don't think so, the agency probably is asking for the uncleaned file TTX (Tageditor) or in case of a Word file a DOC with the Workbench tags for cleanup it into the TM.

The question is of the agency can use this TXML file to update his TM (Trados, in a big % of the cases).

The WF Classic variant do not help if, as me, you want to use Wordfast in a Mac.

Is TXML a format compliant with Trados TMs?

Regards

Fernando

Mette Melchior
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Depends on what was requested... Apr 16, 2009

Hi Fernando!

In her initial post, Ankrol wrote that she was asked to deliver a "Wordfast Pro unclean file", so I suppose the agency might have asked her specifically to use this CAT tool and therefore simply want the kind of "unclean file" that Wordfast Pro can produce, which would be the bilingual TXML file.

If the agency knows that she is working in Wordfast Pro, I wouldn't think that what they want is a Trados file/unclean Word doc, unless they specifically ask for t
... See more
Hi Fernando!

In her initial post, Ankrol wrote that she was asked to deliver a "Wordfast Pro unclean file", so I suppose the agency might have asked her specifically to use this CAT tool and therefore simply want the kind of "unclean file" that Wordfast Pro can produce, which would be the bilingual TXML file.

If the agency knows that she is working in Wordfast Pro, I wouldn't think that what they want is a Trados file/unclean Word doc, unless they specifically ask for that. The agency itself could use Wordfast Pro and would therefore need the TXML file to update their TM. But as always, you should just clarify with the client if in doubt about what they want.

[Edited at 2009-04-16 06:40 GMT]
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
The inicial post? Apr 16, 2009

Mette Melchior wrote:

Hi Fernando!

In her initial post, Ankrol wrote that she was asked to deliver a "Wordfast Pro unclean file",

Ankrol wrote:
Dear All,

With best wishes!
Ann

I can not deduce that the agency use also WF Pro, I think this program is still not out of the Beta (or?) and no agency would risk to use it at this moment... But maybe I'm wrong

But the question is important for all of us trying to migrate to WF Pro

in 75-99 % they will ask for a Trados uncleaned file or a TM export (with only the tranlated UTs)

Regards

Fernando

Kristyna Marrero
United States
WORDFAST PRO Apr 16, 2009

Hi Fernando,

Wordfast Pro is no longer a beta product. It was officially released earlier this year and is available for download on our website here - www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . Also, we will have another release coming out next week that will include some new features. All valid Wordfast Classic license holders can license Wordfast Pro free of charge. You can vis
... See more
Hi Fernando,

Wordfast Pro is no longer a beta product. It was officially released earlier this year and is available for download on our website here - www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . Also, we will have another release coming out next week that will include some new features. All valid Wordfast Classic license holders can license Wordfast Pro free of charge. You can visit www.wordfast.com for more information.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
Unclean files Apr 19, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Hi Fernando,

Wordfast Pro is no longer a beta product. ..
Sincerely,

Kristyna

OK, if Windows is not a Beta, why should another application not do the same?

Just a joke, but I wonder why some applications are not Beta and others like Gmail or Picasa, are still Betas? Big mystery.

But the question of this thread is still open. Are uncleaned files in WF Pro format compliant with other CATs? I mean, can it be send and cleaned in another CAT? Or maybe is a export function for this case?

Regards

Fernando

[Edited at 2009-04-19 16:54 GMT]

Kristyna Marrero
United States
WF Pro 'unclean' files Apr 20, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

OK, if Windows is not a Beta, why should another application not do the same?

Just a joke, but I wonder why some applications are not Beta and others like Gmail or Picasa, are still Betas? Big mystery.

But the question of this thread is still open. Are uncleaned files in WF Pro format compliant with other CATs? I mean, can it be send and cleaned in another CAT? Or maybe is a export function for this case?

Regards

Fernando

[Edited at 2009-04-19 16:54 GMT]

Hi Fernando,

Wordfast Pro generates a bilingual TXML file. This cannot be opened and cleaned directly using another CAT tool. You can always update the TM, export it as TMX, and then open the TM in another TMX compliant CAT tool, but the WFP file itself cannot be edited with another tool.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:33
English to Turkish
+ ...
TXML and Deja Vu X Apr 20, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Wordfast Pro generates a bilingual TXML file. This cannot be opened and cleaned directly using another CAT tool. You can always update the TM, export it as TMX, and then open the TM in another TMX compliant CAT tool, but the WFP file itself cannot be edited with another tool.

TXML files can be imported into and translated with Deja Vu X.

Selcuk

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 2.0 and TXML files Apr 24, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:
Are uncleaned files in WF Pro format compliant with other CATs? I mean, can it be send and cleaned in another CAT? Or maybe is a export function for this case?

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

1) GlobalLink TransStudio/Translator Studio edits and supports TXML as its native format. Links below state this and go back 2 years, so it pre-dates Wordfast Pro by a long time.

GlobalLink Translator Studio
http://www.translations.com/products/products_GlobalLink_Translator_Studio.html
http://www.transperfect.co.uk/about/technology_globallink_transstudio.html

Globallink Suite with TransStudio- Oct 2007
http://software.emc.com/microsites/application_portfolio/collateral/white_papers/Translations.com_TDCS03100_SolutionsBrief_GL-ProductSuite_071009_002.pdf

2) Alchemy Software started supporting GlobalLink (Project Director/TransStudio) and TXML format in April 2008.

Alchemy Catalyst 7.0 (service pack 3, April 2008)
http://www.translations.com/about/news/pr/pr_080430_catalyst.html
http://www.xlsoft.com/jp/products/catalyst/v70/ReadMe_v7_SP3.html

Alchemy Publisher 2.0 (released in July 2008) - GlobalLink TXML as an export option
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher20/wordsmith.htm#navigating_the_publisher_interface/file_menu/export_to_globallink_txml.htm
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/livedocs/publisher20/navigating_the_publisher_interface/file_menu/export_to_globallink_txml.htm

3) Swordfish announced TXML compatibility (specifically referred to as GlobalLink / Wordfast PRO file) - January 2009
http://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html

So, this indicates that Wordfast Pro is using the already existing GlobalLink TXML format as its native format.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Saving translated file Apr 24, 2009

Each time when I save the translated file, Wordfast would ask me to confirm "This file exists already, are you sure you want to overwrite it?"

It seems Wordfast expects me to save the translation only after I finish the whole job. But I'd love to save my translation at the end of each day, to see how far I've come. Can Wordfast just save the new transaltion without asking again?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to create a Wordfast Pro unclean file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »