Thread poster: Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 15, 2009

2.2.0 is painfully slow. when I type, it takes a moment for the letters to appear. I know my hardware is not sharp (CPU E1400, 2GB RAM) but this is too much.

I use windows XP.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

2.1.0 is OK.

[Edited at 2009-05-15 17:21 GMT]

Shirley Lao
Shirley Lao  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translate your text in MS Word first. May 16, 2009

I also think Wordfast Pro 2.2.0 is too slow. So I translate the text in MS Word first and then copy and paste the translated text from MS Word to Wordfast 2.2.0.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
LOL: May 16, 2009

So why do we need wordfast anyway? Maybe we need a new version of WordSlow :lol

I am surprised that I couldn't find similar complaints on the internet as it is not a minor problem.

Thank you Shirley for answering my thread.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 18:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Come on, don't complain. May 16, 2009

Oh, please stop being ironic. WordFast is such a great tool! It's the most comprehensive, all-in-one solution! It has not bugs at all and is all you ever wanted. After all, that's why they released a new, 'Plus' version. They got the other editions right and though it would be nice to work on a new one.

Mike (de Oliveira) Brady
Mike (de Oliveira) Brady  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This may solve it May 25, 2009

Dallas Cao wrote:

2.2.0 is painfully slow. when I type, it takes a moment for the letters to appear. I know my hardware is not sharp (CPU E1400, 2GB RAM) but this is too much.

I use windows XP.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

2.1.0 is OK.

[Edited at 2009-05-15 17:21 GMT]

I have had this problem and seem to have solved it in the following way. I'd be interested to know if it works for others.

Open 'preferences' under 'edit' (with my Mac version, the commands under the 'file' menu don't seem to work').

Open 'hunspell' in the preferences window. Highlight your target language on the list. Click 'apply' then 'ok'.

No idea why, but that solved it for me.

I am not sure which version of Wordfast this is as the 'about wordfast' window under 'file' doesn't do anything, but its not the latest - that had other problems with the Mac version I downloaded when I bought my first license recently. I went back to my old version, but this problem developed after I installed the license and used it for a while. It's working okay at the moment.

Scott Spellerberg (X)
Scott Spellerberg (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:13
Swedish to English
+ ...
S...................l.......................o..........................w....................... Jun 3, 2009

Hi Dallas,

I tried that with hope in my fingertips, but it had no effect, and I am using the newest version of PRO, albeit on a few-years-old PC. But seriously, campers, it should not be this f--ing slow, not when it's blazing fast within Word.

Unfortuneatley, I am translating a PowerPoint document, so I have to use Pro. But fortunately it does indeed work (YIPEE), as Trados Tag editor crashes every time I try to open this document.

Any port in a storm,
... See more
Hi Dallas,

I tried that with hope in my fingertips, but it had no effect, and I am using the newest version of PRO, albeit on a few-years-old PC. But seriously, campers, it should not be this f--ing slow, not when it's blazing fast within Word.

Unfortuneatley, I am translating a PowerPoint document, so I have to use Pro. But fortunately it does indeed work (YIPEE), as Trados Tag editor crashes every time I try to open this document.

Any port in a storm, and any sherry in a gale.
Collapse

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:13
New Wordfast Build Coming Soon Jun 8, 2009

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that we will be releasing a new build that addresses the speed issue in the upcoming days. I will post a message to this forum once the build is available for download.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Kristyna Marrero
United States
WORDFAST PRO V. 2.2.0.4 AVAILABLE Jun 11, 2009

Hi Everyone,

We have released version 2.2.0.4 and it is available for download at
www.wordfast.com/store_download.html . This new build addresses the speed issue
and also includes transcheck and spellcheck improvements. Please note that
right-to-left support IS NOT included in this build. We are currently working
on addressing the speed issue for RTL langua
... See more
Hi Everyone,

on addressing the speed issue for RTL languages and I will notify you when a new
build is available. In the meantime, RTL users should use version 2.2.0.1.

Sincerely,

Kristyna
Collapse

Dirk Wouters
Dirk Wouters  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Wordslow Jun 14, 2009

Hi,
I just bought Wordfast and have 2.2.0.4 installed. Same problem, it takes about 4 seconds for each letter to appear. It is a big text (70.000 words), but this is supposed to be the PRO version so shouldn´t it be able to handle Pro projects?
Is there an easy way to cut a project into smaller pieces in Wordfast?
I have 1 Gb RAM, enough?

[Edited at 2009-06-14 15:59 GMT]

Dirk Wouters
Dirk Wouters  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Solved!! Jun 14, 2009

AHA!
I just solved the slow typing, the most obvious option is most of the time the last one. Just use the table view instead of text view and it should work fine!

Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Remote TM? Jun 14, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Hi Everyone,

on addressing the speed issue for RTL languages and I will notify you when a new
build is available. In the meantime, RTL users should use version 2.2.0.1.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but has that annoying Remote TM bug been taken care of in this release? I had to downgrade two times on two different systems (yeah, using up all my license credits) to finally be able to connect to the Remote TM of my choice. I won't ever upgrade again until someone promises me that I can use the "fixed" version of WF for the purpose I originally bought it for

Kristyna Marrero
United States
REMOTE TM Jun 16, 2009

Boris Rogowski wrote:

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but has that annoying Remote TM bug been taken care of in this release? I had to downgrade two times on two different systems (yeah, using up all my license credits) to finally be able to connect to the Remote TM of my choice. I won't ever upgrade again until someone promises me that I can use the "fixed" version of WF for the purpose I originally bought it for

The Remote TM is fully functioning in WFP. If you are experiencing problems connecting to remote TM, it is likely due to a firewall or port assignments. You should contact your internet service provider to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Boris Rogowski
Boris Rogowski  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
Really? Jun 16, 2009

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Boris Rogowski wrote:

The Remote TM is fully functioning in WFP. If you are experiencing problems connecting to remote TM, it is likely due to a firewall or port assignments. You should contact your internet service provider to resolve this issue.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

Really? I could not even specify an URL in WF Pro because it insisted on putting "wf://:@g:/" at the beginning. I sent an email to the support team. Response: "Currently there is a bug with Remote TM connection and Wordfast Pro. Please downgrade to 2.1.9 until the issue is resolved." Has this gotten fixed by now?

Thanks,
Boris

Ethan Bien
Ethan Bien  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
Russian to English
Wordfast 2.2.0.4 is also slow Jan 2, 2010

I, too, am finding the latest Wordfast Pro to be deadly slow. More to the point, it's hogging all my resources-- program manager reports it at just under 129000 K. Word on the street has it that this is endemic to any complex program written in Java...True? Any fixes we can do to Java to help Wordfast?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Download the latest version Jan 2, 2010

EADB wrote:
Wordfast 2.2.0.4 is also slow

I, too, am finding the latest Wordfast Pro to be deadly slow. More to the point, it's hogging all my resources-- program manager reports it at just under 129000 K. Word on the street has it that this is endemic to any complex program written in Java...True? Any fixes we can do to Java to help Wordfast?

Dear EADB,

2.2.0.4 is an outdated version of Wordfast Pro. Please download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

You should notice the difference.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro v. 2.2.0 is painfully slow

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »