Wordfast Pro 2.4.0.1 and Indesign files
Thread poster: Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is best to have InDesign as well Mar 26, 2012

I don't like translating in the dark. So, tools that only allow me to work with an intermediate format that prevents me from previewing or seeing the final copy are useless to me. Hence, I don't use WordFast.

But, yes, I use Deja Vu X, Deja Vu X2 Pro and SDL Trados 2009 Freelance to work with .inx and .idml files. But I also have InDesign CS3 and CS5 to open those .inx and .idml files, respectively, and export them to PDF for my client, who can open pdf quite easily, send me correct
... See more
I don't like translating in the dark. So, tools that only allow me to work with an intermediate format that prevents me from previewing or seeing the final copy are useless to me. Hence, I don't use WordFast.

But, yes, I use Deja Vu X, Deja Vu X2 Pro and SDL Trados 2009 Freelance to work with .inx and .idml files. But I also have InDesign CS3 and CS5 to open those .inx and .idml files, respectively, and export them to PDF for my client, who can open pdf quite easily, send me corrections and notes.

After amending my translation according to those notes, I can then produce the final InDesign files. I see what I've translated, not just in terms of text content but also how it is formatted and how it looks.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
Finnish to French
Not a solution for most translators Mar 26, 2012

Mario Chavez wrote:
But I also have InDesign CS3 and CS5 to open those .inx and .idml files, respectively, and export them to PDF for my client, who can open pdf quite easily, send me corrections and notes.

After amending my translation according to those notes, I can then produce the final InDesign files. I see what I've translated, not just in terms of text content but also how it is formatted and how it looks.

Good for you, but few translators can justify the cost of InDesign and have the skills necessary to use it. I do translate IDML files every now and then, and I'm using memoQ for it. However, I'm not interested in spending money into buying InDesign, not to speak of the time I would have to spend in order to learn how to use it (my line of business is translation, not DTP).

However, I always request a PDF version of the source document, that I keep open in Adobe Reader as I translate the IDML. That allows me to see what I translate in context, complete with pictures, formatting, layout etc. So just because you don't have InDesign doesn't mean you have to work "in the dark".

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:45
English to French
+ ...
CAT tool, IDML and PDF Mar 27, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

However, I always request a PDF version of the source document, that I keep open in Adobe Reader as I translate the IDML. That allows me to see what I translate in context, complete with pictures, formatting, layout etc. So just because you don't have InDesign doesn't mean you have to work "in the dark".

Yes, it works fine.

And I ask my client to send me a draft PDF version of my translation before final delivery. I proofread in memoQ with this pdf open and I can correct basic mistakes in layout then - like too long titles or picture captions.
This helps to deliver a "good" translation.

szaldibar
szaldibar  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
WordFast 2.4.4: "Error converting..." Mar 6, 2013

Hello everyone!

I am currently working with WordFast Pro 2.4.4 on my Mac and I'm in the process of translating a very big catalog into Spanish. The files were sent to me by my client in .idml (InDesign Mark-up Language, I believe). From reading this forum, I was under the impression that these files could be opened, but now I'm getting this error:

"Error converting (Name of File).idml.

Reason: Application doesn't have enough memory. Please go to Edit/Prefer
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am currently working with WordFast Pro 2.4.4 on my Mac and I'm in the process of translating a very big catalog into Spanish. The files were sent to me by my client in .idml (InDesign Mark-up Language, I believe). From reading this forum, I was under the impression that these files could be opened, but now I'm getting this error:

Reason: Application doesn't have enough memory. Please go to Edit/Preferences/General/Memory Preferences and increase the amount of memory for Wordfast to use."

I increased the memory in my preferences to 1470 MB (the highest possible) and I'm still getting the same error.

Am I the only one going through this?

Any comments or clues would be greatly appreciated.

Sebastian
www.etwtranslations.com
Collapse

KMarrero (X)
KMarrero (X)
Member (1970)
English
Upgrade your version Mar 6, 2013

Hi Sebastian,

Wordfast Pro Version 3.1.x has improved IDML handling. You should upgrade to the latest version. If you are an existing license holder, you can upgrade for free. Go to the Wordfast website here and download version 3.1.4 -
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Sincerely,

Kristyna

szaldibar
szaldibar  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please disregard my previous post about Wordfast Pro not opening InDesign files. Mar 6, 2013

szaldibar wrote:

Hello everyone!

Reason: Application doesn't have enough memory. Please go to Edit/Preferences/General/Memory Preferences and increase the amount of memory for Wordfast to use."

I increased the memory in my preferences to 1470 MB (the highest possible) and I'm still getting the same error.

Sebastian
www.etwtranslations.com

NEVER MIND!! I figured it out!! I apologize and thank you all for everything!!

Kateryna Volobuieva
Kateryna Volobuieva  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:45
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Teach me! (c) Oct 1, 2016

szaldibar wrote:

szaldibar wrote:

Hello everyone!

Sebastian
www.etwtranslations.com

Hello Sebastien,

Could you please share on with me how did you overcome this? I upgraded to the latest version but it still didn't help — I'm unable to open large indesign files

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 03:45
PM Perspective Analysis Oct 3, 2016

Hello Sebastien,

Could you please share on with me how did you overcome this? I upgraded to the latest version but it still didn't help — I'm unable to open large indesign files

Hi Kateryna,

If you still face Java heap space error while opening large InDesign files, try to do Analysis on file in PM Perspective. This will get you TXML file for translation which then you can open in TXML editor.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

John

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 2.4.0.1 and Indesign files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »