Dariusz Kos
Dariusz Kos
Poland
Local time: 17:04
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2012

Hi,

I'm translating a number of Excel files using Wordfast Pro. I have done a similar project already and everthing was as it should be, but now, for no apparent reason, some segments are created too long.

Some of them are as long as 250 words with 38 placeables. This makes WF go really slow and unwieldy and there is no sense in commiting such a big segment to the TM.

The expand/shrink button have no effect whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's the
... See more
Hi,

I'm translating a number of Excel files using Wordfast Pro. I have done a similar project already and everthing was as it should be, but now, for no apparent reason, some segments are created too long.

Some of them are as long as 250 words with 38 placeables. This makes WF go really slow and unwieldy and there is no sense in commiting such a big segment to the TM.

The expand/shrink button have no effect whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's the fault of Wordfast, because somebody might have changed something in the way the Excel files are saved, but is there a cure for this?

Cheers
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
Finnish to French
250 words sound like a lot for an Excel cell Jan 31, 2012

Unfortunately, I have no answer to your problem, but 250 words sound quite a lot for an Excel cell (although cells in Excel can accommodate up to 32,767 characters), and also for a single segment.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:04
English to Arabic
Files, please! Jan 31, 2012

It seems to have to do with segmentation settings. May I have a look at the file. I will advise you accordingly.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Freddy Castañeda
Freddy Castañeda  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 11:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Font size Nov 24, 2014

I am currently having the same situation, I advice adjusting the font size of the target text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segments too long?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »