Thread poster: Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 10:53
English to Arabic
Dec 6, 2012

Dear Colleagues,

The Wordfast Pro Split/Merge option is useful for splitting a TXML file among multiple translators, and then merging the file back together again after translation. It is useful also if you have a very large TXML file that you need to split into smaller parts to avoid slowdown of some machines.

I have published a video showing how to use the Split/MergeSplit/Merge option is useful for splitting a TXML file among multiple translators, and then merging the file back together again after translation. It is useful also if you have a very large TXML file that you need to split into smaller parts to avoid slowdown of some machines.

I have published a video showing how to use the Split/Merge feature:
http://youtu.be/AEsY9sfjx7U?hd=1

Read also: http://wordfast.net/wiki/Splitting_&_Merging_TXML_Files

Kind Regards,
Yasmin Moslem
Collapse

Pavel Zalutski
Pavel Zalutski  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Having trouble with Split May 24, 2014

Hi! I have a problem with splitting files and I would really appreciate your help. I have a file of 2359 translation units. I am interested in the units from 0 to 906 becoming one file, and the rest becoming a different file. I set the function to split after 906 units. I end up with two files: the first contains the first 1400 units, and the other one the rest. Neither the first nor the second part contains 906 units. I tried to play with other numbers. For example. When I ask to split after 40... See more
Hi! I have a problem with splitting files and I would really appreciate your help. I have a file of 2359 translation units. I am interested in the units from 0 to 906 becoming one file, and the rest becoming a different file. I set the function to split after 906 units. I end up with two files: the first contains the first 1400 units, and the other one the rest. Neither the first nor the second part contains 906 units. I tried to play with other numbers. For example. When I ask to split after 400 units, I end up with four files of roughly 600 units. I cannot grasp the logic here. I've tried reinstalling and then rolling back to version 3.3, and it didn't help. Otherwise no problems with Wordfast. If you can help, I would really appreciate it.Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
seems a bug May 26, 2014

Dear Pavel,

It seems a bug that increases the number of the required TUs.

I hope Wordfast developers will be able to fix it.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
By design, but should be fine-tuned Jun 4, 2014

Dear Pavel,

I have checked with our Wordfast Product Management, and I am summarising their response as follows:

The split is done for "blocks" instead of "segments", so when a user sets "Split after" 100 TUs, it splits the first 100 blocks with Block ID 0 to 99.

To know the block IDs, use the "TXML Context" tab in Wordfast Pro, or open the TXML file manually in a text editor. In the "TXML Context" tab, you can use Ctrl+F to find a portion of text, and the
... See more
Dear Pavel,

I have checked with our Wordfast Product Management, and I am summarising their response as follows:

The split is done for "blocks" instead of "segments", so when a user sets "Split after" 100 TUs, it splits the first 100 blocks with Block ID 0 to 99.

To know the block IDs, use the "TXML Context" tab in Wordfast Pro, or open the TXML file manually in a text editor. In the "TXML Context" tab, you can use Ctrl+F to find a portion of text, and then a mouseover will show a tooltip with the Block ID. Please note that Block ID starts with 0 while "Split after" starts with 1; so you need to add plus 1 to get the exact segment. Also, a block might include more than 1 segment.

This is a workaround for now. However, this needs to be changed, and currently we are checking with our developers to see how this can be fixed for future versions.

Many thanks for your invaluable feedback!

Kind regards,
Yasmin (WF)
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Implemented Jun 30, 2014

Dear Pavel,

Wordfast Pro 3.4.1 has been released. Split after TUs will now split TXML files based on segments instead of paragraphs.

I hope this helps.

You can download the latest version of Wordfast Pro at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Yong-Zho Zhang
Yong-Zho Zhang
Local time: 16:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
request: split into 2 pieces option May 25, 2015

This would really help when Translator want to send a daily result to the reviewer no matter finished or not.
And the reviewer can split it into halves, one finished and one unfinished.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Video: WFP Splitting & Merging TXML Files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »