Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
French to English
Apr 18, 2014

Hello,
I have just restored my computer to factory settings and want to reinstall Wordfast Classic. I thought I had saved all files and data I would need but I don't seem to have the WF install number for my PC. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Thanks for any suggestions.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 12:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Get in touch with WF Support Apr 18, 2014

Anne Greaves wrote:

Hello,
I have just restored my computer to factory settings and want to reinstall Wordfast Classic. I thought I had saved all files and data I would need but I don't seem to have the WF install number for my PC. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Thanks for any suggestions.

I had a similar problem last week, and a conflict between some SW I'd installed and WFC, and Dominique fixed it for me remotely in about 5 minutes. As this is the Easter weekend, it might take them a bit longer to get back to you....

[Edited at 2014-04-18 10:29 GMT]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Not sure you need the install No. Apr 18, 2014

Hi Anne,

I'm not sure you need the install No. any more. If you go on to the license page on the Wordfast website and log in (assuming you still have those details), I think it shows what you're entitled to anyway. I might be wrong, but I think when you download it again, it automatically recognises that you're licensed and shows automatically without the need for install Nos.

If not, I'm sure they'll get back to you quickly to resolve it - it's certainly not a holiday
... See more
Hi Anne,

I'm not sure you need the install No. any more. If you go on to the license page on the Wordfast website and log in (assuming you still have those details), I think it shows what you're entitled to anyway. I might be wrong, but I think when you download it again, it automatically recognises that you're licensed and shows automatically without the need for install Nos.

If not, I'm sure they'll get back to you quickly to resolve it - it's certainly not a holiday in France today.

Best wishes,

Claire
Collapse

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 18, 2014

Thanks. Finally realised no longer need install number. However am having problems downloading the programme now, which I have never had before, and am getting constant error messages since the restore. A complete nightmare!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Finnish to French
No install/license numbers in v. 6 Apr 18, 2014

Claire Cox wrote:
I'm not sure you need the install No. any more.

Wordfast Classic 6.03 and newer no longer uses install/license numbers. The new procedure is explained here:

http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/How_to_license_Wordfast_Classic
Claire Cox wrote:
If not, I'm sure they'll get back to you quickly to resolve it - it's certainly not a holiday in France today.

Support is not located in France! Over here (Finland), Good Friday is a holiday. Nevertheless, I heard Anne managed to solve her problem.

Anne Greaves
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Success Apr 18, 2014

Turns out my main problem was that the computer had somehow acquired a virus when I restored it. This involved a lot of "Bad image" error messages and it was also stopping me downloading WF somehow. Found a brilliant free program which got rid of the blighter!

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Sorry Apr 18, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Support is not located in France! Over here (Finland), Good Friday is a holiday. Nevertheless, I heard Anne managed to solve her problem.

I didn't mean you specifically, Dominique - I just wasn't sure which countries in Europe had Good Friday as a public holiday and had been surprised to find it wasn't in France when a client phoned first thing this morning!

Glad you've solved the problem, Anne. I know when I had to restore all my programmes to a new computer recently, the Wordfast set-up went like a dream - which is more than can be said of a lot of other software.... why other CAT tool manufacturers (naming no names, but I'm sure you know who I mean) make you return licences and jump through various hoops to relicense, I really don't know. It creates untold problems when often the very reason you're having to reinstall is because you've had a major computer issue and can't return the old licence very easily. Anyway, no such problem with Wordfast, thank goodness.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reinstalling Wordfast Classic after computer restore

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »