File Conversion problems with Wordfast Pro and Target Language problems with Wordfast Pro & Anywhere
Thread poster: Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh (X)
Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh (X)
Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
Italian to English
Sep 18, 2014

Hi,

I have been working with Wordfast Pro for a while now with an agency that sends SDL Trados file to translate. Everything used to work fine with my old laptop (which had Windows XP), but when I switched to my new one with Windows 8 I started having problems. I am using Wordfast Pro 3.4.1, and when I go to convert the file by going to File>Save translated file, the program converts it, but the Project Manager can no longer read it on her end. I have no idea why, but I do know this
... See more
Hi,

I have been working with Wordfast Pro for a while now with an agency that sends SDL Trados file to translate. Everything used to work fine with my old laptop (which had Windows XP), but when I switched to my new one with Windows 8 I started having problems. I am using Wordfast Pro 3.4.1, and when I go to convert the file by going to File>Save translated file, the program converts it, but the Project Manager can no longer read it on her end. I have no idea why, but I do know this started happening when I got my new laptop. As a result, I have started using Wordfast Anywhere because it gives an option to save the file as a Word document without placeholders and that seems to be working. However, I am having problems with Wordfast Anywhere recognizing the right target language. My TM is set up with a target language of EN-GB, but my spell check is still not recognizing words spelled in the British way. Wordfast Pro also is not recognizing that I have the target set to EN-GB. I know that the target is set to British English because I have opened the TM in Notepad and at the top of the document it shows that the target is EN-GB. Does anyone have any information that could help me with any of this? I would like to continue to use both Wordfast Pro and Wordfast Anywhere as both seem useful to me. Just need to work through these file conversion and target language issues.

Thanks,

Dawn
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:23
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
The source Sep 18, 2014

Have you tried emailing WordFast customer service? They are always interested in solving any problems. and will use the info obtained through assiting you in solving your problem to improve the next version so you won't have these problems anymore.

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Customer Service Sep 18, 2014

Thanks for responding Thayenga. No, I haven't emailed them. I thought you need to have purchased a license to be able to do that??

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
ZIP Sep 18, 2014

Dear Dawn,

Dawn Marie Ciano Brosh wrote:

I have been working with Wordfast Pro for a while now with an agency that sends SDL Trados file to translate. Everything used to work fine with my old laptop (which had Windows XP), but when I switched to my new one with Windows 8 I started having problems. I am using Wordfast Pro 3.4.1, and when I go to convert the file by going to File>Save translated file, the program converts it, but the Project Manager can no longer read it on her end.

Sometimes, this has nothing to do with tools. I expect you use email to send files back; have you tried archiving them into a ZIP file before sending?

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Oh, Sep 20, 2014

Thanks for responding Thayenga. No, I haven't emailed them. I thought you need to have purchased a license to be able to do that??

I thought you had one, Dawn. Yes, you do need to have a purchased licence.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Finnish to French
Additional information needed Sep 20, 2014

I have been working with Wordfast Pro for a while now with an agency that sends SDL Trados file to translate.

When you say "SDL Trados file", what exact format do you mean: SDLXLIFF (SDL Trados Studio), TTX (TagEditor), "uncleaned" Word document ("old" Trados), something else?
Everything used to work fine with my old laptop (which had Windows XP), but when I switched to my new one with Windows 8 I started having problems.

What version of Wordfast Pro were you using on your old laptop? Was it the same as on you new laptop (3.4.1)? Or an older version?

Do you still have access to your old laptop? If so, what happens if you open the TXML you translated in Wordfast Pro on your old laptop and save the translated file? Would it work for your client?

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Type of file and version of Wordfast Pro Sep 20, 2014

Hi Dominique,

I am working with a ttx file that has been pre-translated by the project manager at the agency. When I used to open them open, I could immediately see fuzzy matches, pre-translated sentences etc. Now when I open them it says N/A in the right hand column. There also seems to be some issue with the target language. I have set the TM as EN-GB, but when my project manager opens it, it says something about it being American English. I just switched my laptop about 4 or 5 m
... See more
Hi Dominique,

I am working with a ttx file that has been pre-translated by the project manager at the agency. When I used to open them open, I could immediately see fuzzy matches, pre-translated sentences etc. Now when I open them it says N/A in the right hand column. There also seems to be some issue with the target language. I have set the TM as EN-GB, but when my project manager opens it, it says something about it being American English. I just switched my laptop about 4 or 5 months ago, so I was using the most up-to-date version of Wordfast Pro as of that time, but I don't remember which version it was. I started having problems as soon as I switched to my new laptop. Unfortunately, I can't access my old laptop because the keyboard no longer works (which is why I purchased my new one). For the time being, I am using Wordfast Anywhere.

Regards,

Dawn
Collapse

Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Zipping files Sep 20, 2014

Hi Yasmin,

I haven't tried zipping the files, but I will try to see if it changes anything. I never zipped the files with my old laptop, but it is worth a shot.

Thanks,

Dawn

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Finnish to French
Send sample files Sep 21, 2014

OK, there could be a bug related to TTX support in the latest WFP. I happen to have a copy of TagEditor, so I could test it for you, if you can send me the following sample files (from a project your client couldn't read): 1) original .TTX as received from your client, 2) .TTX.TXML as translated by you, 3) translated .TTX as saved by you in WFP. I also have access to both the current WFP (3.4.1a) and an older version from 4-5 months ago, so I could test if they make a difference.

Zi
... See more
OK, there could be a bug related to TTX support in the latest WFP. I happen to have a copy of TagEditor, so I could test it for you, if you can send me the following sample files (from a project your client couldn't read): 1) original .TTX as received from your client, 2) .TTX.TXML as translated by you, 3) translated .TTX as saved by you in WFP. I also have access to both the current WFP (3.4.1a) and an older version from 4-5 months ago, so I could test if they make a difference.

Zipping a suggested by Yasmin is a good idea in any case, since TTX is a text format and there can be encoding problems when sending the file as an e-mail attachment. To zip in Windows Explorer, right-click on the file, select Send to... and Compressed (zipped) folder. If you must use a third-party app, use 7-Zip, which is free and good (don't use WinZip, which is $$$ and bad).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File Conversion problems with Wordfast Pro and Target Language problems with Wordfast Pro & Anywhere

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »