Thread poster: Valeria Burova
Valeria Burova
Valeria Burova  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 23:18
Member (2014)
English to Russian
Nov 20, 2014

Hello, colleagues, when working with Wordfast plugin for Word I get TM results from translated earlier in the following format: КаКовы основные ме?ан??мы, о?ес?е??ва???е со??асованнос?? ?о????К? в о??ас?? ?ннова???? - can anyone help me out with sorting this?...

[Редактировалось 2014-11-20 15:50 GMT]

[Редактировалось 2014-11-20 16:05 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Finnish to French
Encoding problem Nov 20, 2014

I assume what you mean by "Wordfast plugin for Word" is the version known as Wordfast Classic. If so, what exact version are you using?

What is the origin of the TM you are using and from which you are getting results? Was it created in Wordfast, or obtained from elsewhere? Wordfast TM's must be encoded as Unicode (UTF-16). TM's created with Wordfast should be automatically encoded as Unicode, at least if you're using the current version.

What do you see if you open the
... See more
I assume what you mean by "Wordfast plugin for Word" is the version known as Wordfast Classic. If so, what exact version are you using?

What is the origin of the TM you are using and from which you are getting results? Was it created in Wordfast, or obtained from elsewhere? Wordfast TM's must be encoded as Unicode (UTF-16). TM's created with Wordfast should be automatically encoded as Unicode, at least if you're using the current version.

What do you see if you open the TM in a text editor (eg. Notepad++) and browse through its content? If you see question marks instead of Cyrillic characters for Russian portions of the TM, something went wrong at some point, somewhere. Most likely not in Wordfast.
Collapse

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Nov 20, 2014

[Редактировалось 2014-11-20 16:48 GMT]

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast TM encoding problem Nov 20, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

What do you see if you open the TM in a text editor (eg. Notepad++) and browse through its content? If you see question marks instead of Cyrillic characters for Russian portions of the TM, something went wrong at some point, somewhere. Most likely not in Wordfast.

My version is 4.22 t 22 - TM was created by using Wordfast exactly for the file being translated at the beginning of translation. Although when I open TM icon I see that not Unicode but tmx format is chosen there, might this be the reason?.. Or it also may be caused by Word?..

If opened in Notepad I also see bad coding like this: Second, innovation and the policies around it also affect some of the other dimensions of well-being, notably health outcomes, but also other aspects, e.g. education, personal security or quality of life. RU-01 &'412;&'43E;-&'412;&'442;&'43E;&'440;&'44B;&'445;, &'438;&'43D;&'43D;&'43E;&'412;&'430;&'446;&'438;&'438; &'438;

[Редактировалось 2014-11-20 16:57 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Finnish to French
Upgrade to 6.13, create new TM, clean up again Nov 20, 2014

4.22 is a very old version (more than 10 years). I don't see any reason why you would want to use it if you are starting with Wordfast. Here is why I would do:

1. upgrade to the current version (6.13)
2. create a new TM
3. clean up the document you've translated so far against that TM, which will populate the TM with your translation.

This would most certainly give you a TM in which Cyrillic characters are correctly displayed.

As to your
... See more
4.22 is a very old version (more than 10 years). I don't see any reason why you would want to use it if you are starting with Wordfast. Here is why I would do:

2. create a new TM
3. clean up the document you've translated so far against that TM, which will populate the TM with your translation.

This would most certainly give you a TM in which Cyrillic characters are correctly displayed.

As to your mention of TMX, I'm not sure what you mean: if everything has happened in Wordfast, there should be no need to involved TMX. TMX is for exchanging TMs to/from other tools.
Collapse

Valeria Burova
Indonesia
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast TM encoding problem Nov 20, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:

2. create a new TM

As to your mention of TMX, I'm not sure what you mean: if everything has happened in Wordfast, there should be no need to involved TMX. TMX is for exchanging TMs to/from other tools.

I was advised once using classic version as good and stable but probably it is not the same anymore

Will try to do as suggested, grateful for your time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM coding problem when using Wordfast plugin for Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »