United States
Local time: 18:45
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 27, 2015

Hello All,

Has anyone ever encountered / found a solution for the following issue:

When translating En>De, oftentimes the target sentence structure differs from the source sentence structure.
Now, for example, if I have a source segment that ends with bolded words which are preceded by a tag initiating the bolding yet have no "end bolding" tag (since they're at the end of the source segment) but I need a "end bolding" tag in the target segment since my sentence st
... See more
Hello All,

Has anyone ever encountered / found a solution for the following issue:

When translating En>De, oftentimes the target sentence structure differs from the source sentence structure.
Now, for example, if I have a source segment that ends with bolded words which are preceded by a tag initiating the bolding yet have no "end bolding" tag (since they're at the end of the source segment) but I need a "end bolding" tag in the target segment since my sentence structure differs and I don't want the remainder of the sentence be all bolded -- Is there a way to create such a tag for the target segment although it does not exist in the source segment?

Haven't found any solution to that extent yet. Perhaps it is not possible.

TIA!
Sabine
Collapse

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
No Feb 27, 2015

Unfortunately there isn't, it's happened to me quite often.

Only solution, if you created the txml, is to then go to the reconstructed file and correct it. If you didn't create the txml then the only thing you can do is warn the client.

Sabine Winter
Sabine Winter  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thought so Feb 27, 2015

That's what I've been doing so far. It's definitely a feature that should be included in a WF update rather sooner than later, and I fail to understand why this option is not already available. German is not the only language that differs in sentence structure from other languages, and I'm pretty sure that many other WF users encounter that issue as well.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:45
English to French
+ ...
Not the only issue Feb 27, 2015

Me, I use WFPro only for the file filters, and translate with WfC. WFP misses so many features (such as being able to use bold and italics, superscripts and subscripts, to name just a few essential ones) that it is not worth using it, except for plain text.

Sabine Winter wrote:

That's what I've been doing so far. It's definitely a feature that should be included in a WF update rather sooner than later, and I fail to understand why this option is not already available. German is not the only language that differs in sentence structure from other languages, and I'm pretty sure that many other WF users encounter that issue as well.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:45
Member (2006)
French to English
Fix coming soon Feb 28, 2015

Dear all,

I agree, this is an annoying problem. I usually add a note in my TXML file, qualify it as important and make sure to check the target document outside of Wordfast if I need to address formatting issues (like italicize a word or add superscript to a date).

Fortunately, this has been fixed in Wordfast Pro 4. We are currently testing Wordfast Pro 4 and still ironing out some of the bugs and/or adding in features.

For a sneak peak at the format editor
... See more
Dear all,

I agree, this is an annoying problem. I usually add a note in my TXML file, qualify it as important and make sure to check the target document outside of Wordfast if I need to address formatting issues (like italicize a word or add superscript to a date).

Fortunately, this has been fixed in Wordfast Pro 4. We are currently testing Wordfast Pro 4 and still ironing out some of the bugs and/or adding in features.

For a sneak peak at the format editor in WFP4, check out this screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/bHFv5gXN

John

Register today for the Wordfast Forward User Conference in Riga, Latvia - May 28-31, 2015 - http://www.wordfast.com/conference
Collapse

Sabine Winter
Sabine Winter  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@John Feb 28, 2015

Excellent! Glad to hear this! While there are a few other features outside the topic of this thread that I would love to see implemented, this will definitely be a major improvement!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Pro - Creating tags for target segment that are not in source segment

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »