Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Local time: 10:03
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Mar 4, 2015

Yesterday I worked all day on a large file. In the evening I wanted to know how much I still had to do and performed an analysis. This morning I had to realize that all the segments I translated yesterday are now empty.

The translated segments are saved in the TM, but "Translate until no match" doesn't seem to work either. I have no idea what I did wrong and why this happened and I don't know how I have to "tickle" the TM to spit out the segments into my file. Starting to be despera
... See more
Yesterday I worked all day on a large file. In the evening I wanted to know how much I still had to do and performed an analysis. This morning I had to realize that all the segments I translated yesterday are now empty.

The translated segments are saved in the TM, but "Translate until no match" doesn't seem to work either. I have no idea what I did wrong and why this happened and I don't know how I have to "tickle" the TM to spit out the segments into my file. Starting to be desperate - deadline is approaching. Would appreciate any ideas.

Best regards,
Anna
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Check TM connection Mar 4, 2015

If you haven't already, try unchecking and then rechecking the box next to the main TM in your list of TMs associated with the project.

I always save the translated file at the end of each translation session. That way, I know that I have safeguarded the translation so far in case anything were to go wrong.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am a compulsive file-saver Mar 4, 2015

B D Finch wrote:

If you haven't already, try unchecking and then rechecking the box next to the main TM in your list of TMs associated with the project.

I always save the translated file at the end of each translation session. That way, I know that I have safeguarded the translation so far in case anything were to go wrong.

I never let pass a few minutes without saving my file - so that is definitively not the problem here. I suspect it had to do with the analysis I performed - but I fail to understand how an analysis will empty all the segments.

The TM is linked - it does find the entries I made yesterday. Wordfast just fails to update the segments automatically. I checked and experimented with the settings for automated propagation and TM matches, but it just won't fill my file with the TM matches.

I could refill all segments manually by ALT+F12, but this will take much longer.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:03
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Background backups Mar 4, 2015

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:
I never let pass a few minutes without saving my file - so that is definitively not the problem here.

Anna, unfortunately I cannot help you with your particular problem.

However, for future reference my approach to prevent this kind of problem is to have a utility running invisibly in the background. These can copy a snapshot of the file or files you specify to a folder of your choice or even to an FTP site. In my case I use Syncovery.

It can perform these backups at user-specified intervals, such as every hour or every 10 minutes, on specified days and specified time windows. It can rename the backups with date and time, keep only a certain number of backups, zip them, encrypt them - the possibilities are endless. It cost me about 40 euros a decade ago and I have found it worth every penny. There are a number of similar utilities on the market.

Or if you are a paying Dropbox user, there is a versioning function built into the software that allows you to restore previous versions.

Good luck!
Dan

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Double and triple redundancy? Mar 4, 2015

Dan, this looks great, and I might try it.

But still, I am very disappointed - saving the translation in the TM should provide all the necessary redundancy to repopulate segments in case of trouble - that is what a CAT tool is supposed to do, isn't it? How much redundancy is needed to really be absolutely, totally, entirely sure that my work doesn't get messed up? After all, installing an extra backup software means I have to get familiar with yet another tool, to choose the setting
... See more
Dan, this looks great, and I might try it.

But still, I am very disappointed - saving the translation in the TM should provide all the necessary redundancy to repopulate segments in case of trouble - that is what a CAT tool is supposed to do, isn't it? How much redundancy is needed to really be absolutely, totally, entirely sure that my work doesn't get messed up? After all, installing an extra backup software means I have to get familiar with yet another tool, to choose the settings for each new job - it all costs extra time and disk space.

Is there any secret check box I need to tick to have the TM return my work?

Funny that these things happen only when a deadline is approaching. Never when I actually have time to really dive into the heart of my CAT tool to find and cure its hidden grief.
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Try making a copy of the source file Mar 4, 2015

Backup everything first (file, glossary, TM...) and then start a new project, attach the TM to this new project, plug in a new copy of source file, and see if "translate until no match" works now. Are you using the latest version of WFP? Have you posted on the dedicated yahoo group about your problem to get more input from other users?

Robert Connal
Robert Connal  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:03
Finnish to English
Manual approach, New project, Backups Mar 4, 2015

I've run into problems like this.

Though it's a nuisance, I've found the manual method is the easiest solution. Just Alt-Down through the file and WF should repopulate everything. (Possibly using the TXML file rather than the TM, but I'm not sure about that).

Creating a new project (as above) is a good solution, but one that loses all your notes. That's a serious problem for me, since I often have a lot of notes attached to segments.

The real solution is a
... See more
I've run into problems like this.

Though it's a nuisance, I've found the manual method is the easiest solution. Just Alt-Down through the file and WF should repopulate everything. (Possibly using the TXML file rather than the TM, but I'm not sure about that).

Creating a new project (as above) is a good solution, but one that loses all your notes. That's a serious problem for me, since I often have a lot of notes attached to segments.

The real solution is a good backup system. There are lots available (I use Bvckup 2 https://www.bvckup2.com, combined with File History). Go for overkill and back up everything under Users/YourUserName (Windows 8.1, but others are similar). Backing up Documents alone leaves out a lot of stuff you might need. I know Wordfast stores some of its data in Users\YourUserName\.wf_workspace\, but it probably uses other locations as well, including hidden folders.
Collapse

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still the same Mar 4, 2015

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Backup everything first (file, glossary, TM...) and then start a new project, attach the TM to this new project, plug in a new copy of source file, and see if "translate until no match" works now. Are you using the latest version of WFP? Have you posted on the dedicated yahoo group about your problem to get more input from other users?

I downloaded the latest version, tried the whole process with a fresh file, but nothing worked. In the meantime I have filled in the segments manually while doing the final check. Wordfast wasn't living up to its name and was slow and sluggish all day long. Hopefully I won't have the same problems tomorrow. It seems they finally added a progress function to the new version. Now that is great!

I had no time today, but will check the Yahoo group for the future!

Thanks for all your input!

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 02:03
Translate All option Mar 4, 2015

Hi Anna,

You can use Translate All function and it would update what you have in TM without stopping at No match.

In Preferences > Translation Memory > Fuzzy threshold match % set it to 75. Then run Translate All.

You said that you did Analysis on the file. Did you do Analysis from Editor or PM Perspective Analyze tab? From PM perspective if you have Pre-translate checked in options it would overwrite TXML with TM matches.

Hope this helps. You
... See more
Hi Anna,

You can use Translate All function and it would update what you have in TM without stopping at No match.

In Preferences > Translation Memory > Fuzzy threshold match % set it to 75. Then run Translate All.

You said that you did Analysis on the file. Did you do Analysis from Editor or PM Perspective Analyze tab? From PM perspective if you have Pre-translate checked in options it would overwrite TXML with TM matches.

Hope this helps. You should contact Wordfast helpline if the issues aren't resolved.

Thank you,

John

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:

Lori Cirefice wrote:

I downloaded the latest version, tried the whole process with a fresh file, but nothing worked. In the meantime I have filled in the segments manually while doing the final check. Wordfast wasn't living up to its name and was slow and sluggish all day long. Hopefully I won't have the same problems tomorrow. It seems they finally added a progress function to the new version. Now that is great!

I had no time today, but will check the Yahoo group for the future!

Thanks for all your input!
Collapse

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:03
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Similar problem/solution Mar 4, 2015

Something similar happened to me some time ago.
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/237908-urgent_wfp_not_retrieving_matches_from_tm.html#2055385
Perhaps the solution there might help you.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also for server TMs? Mar 5, 2015

Hi Rudolf,

thanks for the hint - but this might not work for server TMs, would it?

I will definively have a look into this, though!

Best regards,
Anna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro - a whole day of translation got deleted from the file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »