Thread poster: Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:48
French to English
May 21, 2015

Hello,
I have recently had the problem of translations disappearing as I go through a text. I have translated all segments, but when I go back over it a large part of the translation I did has disappeared in some segments. Can anyone explain or offer a remedy for this?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Run it through again? May 21, 2015

Hi Anne,

I find this happens occasionally, usually when I'm dictating with Dragon in table format and the cursor has jumped around during the segment. If I go to the segment in question, and press Alt Down, the translation usually is stored in my TM, just isn't shown for some reason - no idea why. Only happens with tables and Dragon, though, so it isn't a huge problem and I'm on the alert for it now, so usually glance through before I print to proof-read.

Yours may be a
... See more
Hi Anne,

I find this happens occasionally, usually when I'm dictating with Dragon in table format and the cursor has jumped around during the segment. If I go to the segment in question, and press Alt Down, the translation usually is stored in my TM, just isn't shown for some reason - no idea why. Only happens with tables and Dragon, though, so it isn't a huge problem and I'm on the alert for it now, so usually glance through before I print to proof-read.

Yours may be a completely different problem, of course, but I just thought this might help.

Best wishes,

Claire
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
Finnish to French
Was the document "special"? May 21, 2015

I assume this is with Wordfast Classic (if so, which version, and which version of MS Office?).

Was the document you were working on "special" in any way? Like particularly long, and/or with a particularly complex layout (lots of tables/graphics/text boxes/frames etc.)? Or converted from a PDF, or obtained by copying/pasting web pages?

Anne Greaves
Anne Greaves  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not special May 22, 2015

Hi Dominique
No just an ordinary, fairly short Word document, without tables/text boxes etc. I don't know whether it was obtained by copying/pasting web pages or not, but it has also happened recently with other documents. I'm using Wordfast Classic 6.13 with Word 2010 and Dragon 13.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:48
Finnish to French
Dragon connection? May 22, 2015

Looks like there could be a Dragon connection, based on Claire's observation. Unfortunately, I have no experience with Dragon, but maybe some other Dragon users could chime in.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:48
French to English
+ ...
Something to check May 25, 2015

Something like this happened to me a few months ago. I found that everything was actually there but hidden. I use Dragon, but don't think that was the cause. I revealed hidden text and all was OK. I have been finding more and more problems with Wordfast Classic and suspect that it is being neglected in favour of Wordfast Pro and Anywhere. Though I now mainly use Wordfast Pro, I like to use Classic for simple documents and also for TM and glossary management. However, that function, which used to... See more
Something like this happened to me a few months ago. I found that everything was actually there but hidden. I use Dragon, but don't think that was the cause. I revealed hidden text and all was OK. I have been finding more and more problems with Wordfast Classic and suspect that it is being neglected in favour of Wordfast Pro and Anywhere. Though I now mainly use Wordfast Pro, I like to use Classic for simple documents and also for TM and glossary management. However, that function, which used to be excellent, has become next to unusable over the last year.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations disappearing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »