Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 01:08
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 31, 2015

Hello experts,

I have the latest version of Wordfast Pro i.e. 3.4.5.

I have many files to edit in which some of the text is same. When I started editing the second file, the TM automatically replaced the unedited same text and produced the text from the earlier edited file for same segments. It is very useful because it saves time and ensures consistency. It continued for 7 files but when I began editing the 8th file, I discovered that it is not reproducing the edite
... See more
Hello experts,

I have the latest version of Wordfast Pro i.e. 3.4.5.

I have many files to edit in which some of the text is same. When I started editing the second file, the TM automatically replaced the unedited same text and produced the text from the earlier edited file for same segments. It is very useful because it saves time and ensures consistency. It continued for 7 files but when I began editing the 8th file, I discovered that it is not reproducing the edited text for the same matches.

Could you please guide me in this respect?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:38
English to Thai
+ ...
Clean the TM Aug 31, 2015

chopra_2002 wrote:

I have many files to edit in which some of the text is same. When I started editing the second file, the TM automatically replaced the unedited same text and produced the text from the earlier edited file for same segments. It is very useful because it saves time and ensures consistency. It continued for 7 files but when I began editing the 8th file, I discovered that it is not reproducing the edited text for the same matches.

For WordFast Pro and WordFast Classic, TM concordance is a weak point since their earlier days. I usually organize the TM frequently to avoid the problem above.

Regarding TM cleaning, Oliver Walter writes clearly before in
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/212792-cleaning_tm_in_wordfast_pro.html
I will rewrite his words here as follows (here is also my permission request to copy his texts):

"You can open the TM text file (file name with extension .txt) in Excel; the fields of each line of the TM are separated by Tab characters, which will put them into different spreadsheet columns. After editing, save the TM file as Tab-separated text and use WF to reorganise it (this will update the count of Translation Units in the 3rd field of the first line).
Useful actions you can do with the spreadsheet include:

Select the whole file but not the first line (select columns A to H - possibly more columns depending on the TM's attributes; it won't do any harm to select more columns than those that actually contain data);
Sort the rows according to a column depending on your criterion: column A puts them in date order, but collects together the rows marked for delete (they begin with "x"). Column C shows how many times the TU (Transl. Unit) has been re-used (I'm not sure exactly what re-use means here!); Column E is the source text, so sorting can reveal duplicates. Column G is the target text. It might be worth sorting on Col. E and then G in the same sorting action.
After sorting you can examine the rows and possibly decide to delete some of them; then perhaps sort again based on a different column and re-examine for deletion."

Soonthon L.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your detailed reply, but... Aug 31, 2015

Could someone explain the actual reason behind it? Is there any easy method to fix it?

Regards,

Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An update Aug 31, 2015

I have found that the same TM is working fine for subsequent files and is reproducing the edited text in respect of the same segments. Can someone figure out the problem with this particular file?

Regards,

Chopra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro TM is not automatically replacing the text in target segments

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »