Is there any work-around to avoid an additional step?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 23:49
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 2, 2015

Hello experts,

Sometimes, when I am overburdened with work, I assign some of the translation work to a friend. I usually get files which I am required to translate by using Wordfast Pro. My friend is not conversant with WF Pro and he does not want to acquire any CAT tool. He is not even ready to use trial version of CAT tools to accomplish small jobs. Since I can't trust others for quality, I have no other option but to assign him the additional jobs. As I am required to use WF
... See more
Hello experts,

Sometimes, when I am overburdened with work, I assign some of the translation work to a friend. I usually get files which I am required to translate by using Wordfast Pro. My friend is not conversant with WF Pro and he does not want to acquire any CAT tool. He is not even ready to use trial version of CAT tools to accomplish small jobs. Since I can't trust others for quality, I have no other option but to assign him the additional jobs. As I am required to use WF Pro, I open the file in it, copy the whole text and paste it in a new Word file and ask him to translate underneath every English segment without deleting the English text. When he sends me the translated file, I have to copy each and every segment from the Word file and then paste it into WF Pro. Then, I edit the translation, if needed, and send the txml file to clients.

I want to know is there any method by which I can avoid pasting each and every translated sentence in WF Pro from the Word file as it consumes considerable time? Is there any trick to open such MS Word bilingual file directly in WF Pro? Is there any work-around to avoid the additional step of copying the text from Word file and pasting it in WF Pro.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 12:19
Bilingual Export Oct 2, 2015

chopra_2002 wrote:

Hello experts,

Sometimes, when I am overburdened with work, I assign some of the translation work to a friend. I usually get files which I am required to translate by using Wordfast Pro. My friend is not conversant with WF Pro and he does not want to acquire any CAT tool. He is not even ready to use trial version of CAT tools to accomplish small jobs. Since I can't trust others for quality, I have no other option but to assign him the additional jobs. As I am required to use WF Pro, I open the file in it, copy the whole text and paste it in a new Word file and ask him to translate underneath every English segment without deleting the English text. When he sends me the translated file, I have to copy each and every segment from the Word file and then paste it into WF Pro. Then, I edit the translation, if needed, and send the txml file to clients.

I want to know is there any method by which I can avoid pasting each and every translated sentence in WF Pro from the Word file as it consumes considerable time? Is there any trick to open such MS Word bilingual file directly in WF Pro? Is there any work-around to avoid the additional step of copying the text from Word file and pasting it in WF Pro.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Hi Chopra,

First you can split files using PM Perspective > Split/Merge.

Then take one of the split file that you were going to share to Bilingual Export tab.

Bilingual Export steps: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Bilingual_Review

You can use the merged TXML from Bilingual Import to update your TM using Cleanup tab or Editor. Then start working with the TM on your files to update his translation.

Hope this helps

Thank you,

John

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
Create a TM Oct 2, 2015

This is only an idea...

Create a new TM with the original text and the translation made by your friend. Then you add it to WF Pro and translate your file directly (translate until no match option).
I don't know of another or simpler way.

Good luck!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 01:19
English to Thai
+ ...
I support your idea Oct 3, 2015

Hedwig Lugaro wrote:

Create a new TM with the original text and the translation made by your friend. Then you add it to WF Pro and translate your file directly (translate until no match option).

Good luck!

This is the process I actually did with some jobs in 2000s.

Soonthon L.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply, but... Oct 3, 2015

in order to create a new TM, I'will have to open the MS Word file (which contains the source text (English) and the translated text (Hindi) underneath the source text. If I open this file in WFP, both English and Hindi will be displayed as source and in this case it will not be possible to make TM.

Am I missing something? I'd appreciate if you could explain it further.

Regards,

Chopra

Hedwig Lugaro wrote:

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:19
French to English
Change the method from the beginning Oct 3, 2015

I wrote out an entire process before I realized something.

Generate a bilingual Word file from WF pro (it looks like a table with 2 columns, which you can then important into the TXML. Done

[Edited at 2015-10-03 04:32 GMT]

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:19
English to Romanian
+ ...
This is the right procedure Oct 3, 2015

Open the file you want to send your party.
Export bilingual.
After receiving the translated file, use import bilingual.
Done

See instructions on internet, apart from John's suggestion, I believe Dominique has also a video on this.

Good luck!

John Daniel wrote:

Then take one of the split file that you were going to share to Bilingual Export tab.

Bilingual Export steps: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Bilingual_Review

You can use the merged TXML from Bilingual Import to update your TM using Cleanup tab or Editor. Then start working with the TM on your files to update his translation.

Hope this helps

Thank you,

John

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice. Oct 3, 2015

Jenae Spry wrote:

Generate a bilingual Word file from WF pro (it looks like a table with 2 columns, which you can then important into the TXML. Done

Can you suggest a link which contains step by step instructions for generating a bilingual Word file and then importing it as a txml file?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Creating tmx and txt TM from bilingual MS Word table might be helpful Oct 3, 2015

Is there any method or procedure to create a tmx or txt TM from from a bilingual MS Word file which contains English text in the first column and Hindi translation in the opposite second column?

This TM then may be used to translate all segments.

Regards,

Chopra

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bilingual Export Oct 3, 2015

chopra_2002 wrote:
Can you suggest a link which contains step by step instructions for generating a bilingual Word file and then importing it as a txml file?

See John Daniel's post. The link is there!

[Edited at 2015-10-03 06:12 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Bilingual review Oct 3, 2015

chopra_2002 wrote:

Here:
https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Bilingual_Review

And here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0VI8XxWjo

The video is a bit old, so what you'll see in WFP will be slightly different. Also, you can use drag and drop (no need to navigate to folders).

Before you import the DOC file again, it may be a good idea to check if your friend dealt correctly with the tags. Also (and this should be a warning in WFP, but isn't), if the source text or translation contains "[", then you may have to type it as "[[" (it'll also appear that way in the source text column), but you should also check the imported TXML file to see if those brackets were imported correctly.

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:19
French to English
Your friend might warm up to WF anywhere Oct 4, 2015

WF anywhere is a super easy program to learn and once you ask him to work in the bilingual table, he might find that WF anywhere is more efficient. See the link that was posted above for bilingual export instructions. Good luck!

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Oct 4, 2015

I was looking for an easy solution which may save time. While searching the internet in respect of this issue, I came to know about a free software which converts a bilingual table into TMX translation memory. I find it appropriate to mention it so that others may also be benefitted. Its name is Heartsome TMX Editor 8. In addition to it, it has some other useful features. This video explains ... See more
I was looking for an easy solution which may save time. While searching the internet in respect of this issue, I came to know about a free software which converts a bilingual table into TMX translation memory. I find it appropriate to mention it so that others may also be benefitted. Its name is Heartsome TMX Editor 8. In addition to it, it has some other useful features. This video explains the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvg3pzzvgGQ

I thank you all for your valuable advice, suggestions and guidance.

Regards,

Chopra
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:19
Finnish to French
Alternative bilingual table to TMX video Oct 5, 2015

chopra_2002 wrote:
I was looking for an easy solution which may save time. While searching the internet in respect of this issue, I came to know about a free software which converts a bilingual table into TMX translation memory. I find it appropriate to mention it so that others may also be benefitted. Its name is Heartsome TMX Editor 8. In addition to it, it has some other useful features. This video explains the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvg3pzzvgGQ

Here is a better one (in my not so humble opinion!):

https://youtu.be/KG19u_TRAOQ

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for another link Oct 5, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Here is a better one (in my not so humble opinion!):

https://youtu.be/KG19u_TRAOQ

This video is also related to Heartsome TMX Editor. Seems like a later version.

Regards,

Chopra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any work-around to avoid an additional step?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »