Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
PlusTools (or other alignment tool) for later versions of Word?
Thread poster: Phoebe Green
Phoebe Green
Phoebe Green
Local time: 10:36
Member (2009)
French to English
Feb 11, 2016

PlusTools is compatible only with Word 97/2000/2002/2003. I loved that utility! Any suggestions for a replacement/workaround? Or do the latest versions of Wordfast Classic have tools that perform the same functions?

I have Wordfast Classic 6.39 on Windows 10/Word 2016.

Thanks!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:36
Finnish to French
Wordfast Online Aligner (Wordfast Anywhere) Feb 11, 2016

You should have a look at the Wordfast Online Aligner included in Wordfast Anywhere. Just create yourself a free account at www.freetm.com if you haven’t got one.

You may also want to have a look at LF Aligner. Totally unsexy interface, but very smart aligner. You will obtain a TMX you can open
... See more
You should have a look at the Wordfast Online Aligner included in Wordfast Anywhere. Just create yourself a free account at www.freetm.com if you haven’t got one.

You may also want to have a look at LF Aligner. Totally unsexy interface, but very smart aligner. You will obtain a TMX you can open in Wordfast.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not only Feb 11, 2016

Phoebe Green wrote:

PlusTools is compatible only with Word 97/2000/2002/2003.

Not only. It works fine with Word 2007 and 2010.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
You can use PlusTools in Word 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Phoebe Green wrote:
PlusTools is compatible only with Word 97/2000/2002/2003.

Actually, it’s possible to use PlusTools with Word 2007/2010/2013/2016, although it is not officially supported. Here you can see a snapshot of PlusTools installed in Word 2016:

The trick is to press Ctrl+F2 to force it to show up under the Add-ins tab.

However, I would still recommend using the Wordfast Online Aligner or LF Aligner.

Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:36
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Hi everybody May 17, 2016

I would like to perform an alignment with WFP 3 (or 4) with 2 Word files on a Mac (El Capitan).

As far as I understood, PlusTools works only for Word on Windows.

Dominique posted a link to the LF Aligner, where you can get instructions for the LF Aligner, but again only for Windows.

So, just to confirm, the only tool that is left for an alignment on Mac seems to be Wordfast Anywhere and there is no feature for alignment embedded in the original Worfast Pro
... See more
I would like to perform an alignment with WFP 3 (or 4) with 2 Word files on a Mac (El Capitan).

As far as I understood, PlusTools works only for Word on Windows.

Dominique posted a link to the LF Aligner, where you can get instructions for the LF Aligner, but again only for Windows.

So, just to confirm, the only tool that is left for an alignment on Mac seems to be Wordfast Anywhere and there is no feature for alignment embedded in the original Worfast Pro Software, is that correct?

Thanks everyone
Collapse

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Should work May 18, 2016

PlusTools works fine in Word under Linux, thus I am quite sure it will work under Mac OS. LF Aligner should work too as it is cross-platform. You might need to install Python (I don't know if Mac OS includes it).

Read this page:
http://linuxfortranslators.org/align.html

It is focused on Linux, but many things are valid for Mac OS too.

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Aligner... May 23, 2016

...did the job perfectly.

Anyway, I wasn't able to figure out how to install Plus Tools in my Word for Mac.

As soon as I find a detailed description on how to do that, I will post it here.

Thank you Esperantisto!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LFA May 23, 2016

esperantisto wrote:

LF Aligner should work too as it is cross-platform. You might need to install Python (I don't know if Mac OS includes it).

Yes it does work on mac. It's in perl, which is included in osx by default so it shouldn't require any installs. However, there is no GUI on mac so you have to make do with a command line interface. Some brave souls do use it on mac but it's not for everyone.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
VBA macros won't work on Mac May 23, 2016

Patrick Wahl wrote:

Anyway, I wasn't able to figure out how to install Plus Tools in my Word for Mac.

Most VBA macros won't work on your Mac (in Word for Mac), I'm afraid. Wf Classic is an exception.

Build 4.18a free; manual included. PC/Windows with Word 97/2000/2002/2003 only.

[Edited at 2016-05-23 15:47 GMT]

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Compilation error May 23, 2016

Patrick, I get an error on Mac:

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OmegaT's built-in aligner May 23, 2016

Phoebe Green wrote:
Any suggestions for a replacement/workaround?

The latest-latest version of OmegaT has an aligner.
https://omegat.ci.cloudbees.com/job/omegat-trunk/

The OmegaT aligner is a little daunting at first use, and you have to get used to the two-step approach, but it has quite a few nice features, e.g.:
* mark segments green if you're very certain of them, or mark them red if you are unsure about them but don't want to check them right away;
* mark which segments to include in the TM in the end (irrespective of if they're green or red);
* highlight specific pieces of text in colour, using regex (e.g. highlight all numbers, to make it easier to spot misalignments);
* single click any source and target segment, and they get aligned to each other;
* re-attempt re-align all non-green segments at any time;
* uses OmegaT's segmentation rules and affix support;
* can generate a TMX at any time during the alignment task.

Downsides include that you can't save an alignment task halfway through, you can't insert blank cells, and you can't move blocks of text around (like in PlusTools). And you can align only two files at a time (though they don't have to be the same file type). You also have to get used to the fact that one colour = one segment, even if it contains more than one row.

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
OmegaT's built-in aligner May 31, 2016

Thank you, Samuel, for the suggestion.

I'm still desperately looking for an Aligner since Wordfast Anywhere gets terribly slow when your internet connection is slow. I wasn't even able to perform an alignment with that "village-internet-speed" that I'm facing this moment.

Could you maybe give me any hint on where I can find instructions on how to install OmegaT's built-in aligner?

That page is a bit difficul
... See more
Thank you, Samuel, for the suggestion.

I'm still desperately looking for an Aligner since Wordfast Anywhere gets terribly slow when your internet connection is slow. I wasn't even able to perform an alignment with that "village-internet-speed" that I'm facing this moment.

Could you maybe give me any hint on where I can find instructions on how to install OmegaT's built-in aligner?

That page is a bit difficult to understand:

https://omegat.ci.cloudbees.com/job/omegat-trunk/

THANKS
Collapse

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
LF Aligner Error Message May 31, 2016

Any solution on how to proceed?

ERROR: Input file not found (No such file or directory) at line 52066
(file: /Users/PW/Documents/Translations/B2B/A2016_322\ \ _46\ Word\ Dateien_/PRODUCTS/Amplifier/ACP.docx)
Try again!

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Something wrong… May 31, 2016

…with the filename (meaning the full path to the file). Why those \\? Try moving/copying/renaming the file so that the full path does not contain any blank spaces, non-ASCII characters, (back)slashes.

esperantisto
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No need to install May 31, 2016

Patrick Wahl wrote:

The word “built-in” stands here exactly for built-in, i. e., it is built in OmegaT. Thus, no installation or whatever extra action is required once you have installed a latest build of OmegaT. Just select Tools → Align files from the menu.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PlusTools (or other alignment tool) for later versions of Word?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »