Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 03:55
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Sep 25, 2016

I actually have two problems that maybe should be in separate posts, except that the solution to one brings about an issue I have had forever. (Fairly new to WF, though!)

I have a MacBook Pro OS 10.11.6 and WF4 4.7. (Updating to newer version gave me an error message, so I have not done it yet.) I have not used previous versions of WF.

I have spent almost two weeks on a project that is now finished and due tonight (11 hours left). When I tried to save the file as transl
... See more
I actually have two problems that maybe should be in separate posts, except that the solution to one brings about an issue I have had forever. (Fairly new to WF, though!)

I have a MacBook Pro OS 10.11.6 and WF4 4.7. (Updating to newer version gave me an error message, so I have not done it yet.) I have not used previous versions of WF.

I have spent almost two weeks on a project that is now finished and due tonight (11 hours left). When I tried to save the file as translated, I got the error message: An error occurred while saving the document.
I have looked here and elsewhere for solutions. That led me to my long-standing problem:

The simplest fix seemed to be to re-download the source with the TM from the first translation. But no matter what I do, I can't "use Existing TM".
This is what I do:
I start a Simple Project, name it, add the appropriate languages, add the file to be translated, and then I click Use Existing TM. I choose the name of the TM that I created with the initial translation, and then I click Finish.
1 TXLF file has been created, and 1 Translation Memory has been added. I click OK.

In Project Languages /Files, it now says I have the TXLF that I wanted. But then I click on Project TM, and it says a different TM.
This happens every time I try to use an existing TM. Always the same TM, although in the drop-down menu, there are several to choose from, and I know they exist. I have tried to Import TM, but for some reason I can't do that either.

What am I doing wrong?? I have asked this several times (though possibly in an unclear manner), and never had an answer, but now it’s really crucial, because I need this TM (unless I can solve the error message problem, but I still need this one solved eventually).

I would be so grateful for any help!
Collapse

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 02:55
Use Transcheck (Tag Check) Sep 26, 2016

Hi Elisabeth,

Have you tried running Tag Transcheck on the file for your problem with save translating the file. What is the error you receive and what is the file type?

Regarding the issue with wrong TM added, I'm not able to replicate the issue. Have you tried installing the latest version?

Thank you,

John

Elisabeth Maurland wrote:

I have spent almost two weeks on a project that is now finished and due tonight (11 hours left). When I tried to save the file as translated, I got the error message: An error occurred while saving the document.
I have looked here and elsewhere for solutions. That led me to my long-standing problem:

The simplest fix seemed to be to re-download the source with the TM from the first translation. But no matter what I do, I can't "use Existing TM".
This is what I do:
I start a Simple Project, name it, add the appropriate languages, add the file to be translated, and then I click Use Existing TM. I choose the name of the TM that I created with the initial translation, and then I click Finish.
1 TXLF file has been created, and 1 Translation Memory has been added. I click OK.

In Project Languages /Files, it now says I have the TXLF that I wanted. But then I click on Project TM, and it says a different TM.
This happens every time I try to use an existing TM. Always the same TM, although in the drop-down menu, there are several to choose from, and I know they exist. I have tried to Import TM, but for some reason I can't do that either.

What am I doing wrong?? I have asked this several times (though possibly in an unclear manner), and never had an answer, but now it’s really crucial, because I need this TM (unless I can solve the error message problem, but I still need this one solved eventually).

I would be so grateful for any help!

JohnWhi
JohnWhi
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:55
French to English
Might just work? Sep 26, 2016

I have not yet encountered this in Wordfast 4, but it occurred a couple of times in Wordfast 3, and I tried the following:
1) Copy the TM to a different location (in my case another folder in my TM folder) and rename it.
2) Re-connect/import it under the new name.
Eventually I was able to restore it under the old name. No idea why this worked... I offer the suggestion only because it may be worth a try and you don't lose anything.
On the subject of Mac problems with 4.9.1
... See more
I have not yet encountered this in Wordfast 4, but it occurred a couple of times in Wordfast 3, and I tried the following:
1) Copy the TM to a different location (in my case another folder in my TM folder) and rename it.
2) Re-connect/import it under the new name.
Eventually I was able to restore it under the old name. No idea why this worked... I offer the suggestion only because it may be worth a try and you don't lose anything.
On the subject of Mac problems with 4.9.1, with a Mac using OSX 10.12 Sierra, I had a persistent crash on opening, with crash report sent automatically, but repeatedly opening (including crash and report) nine times seemed to solve the problem. (!)
Collapse

Elisabeth Maurland
Elisabeth Maurland
United States
Local time: 03:55
Member (2013)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, John and John Sep 27, 2016

Yes, I did run Transcheck and subsequently fixed all the tag issues. It still wouldn't save. It's a Word file, and the error message is "An error occurred while saving the document".

However, I figured out that I could export the TM from the original translation, save it to my desktop, and then import it to the new project (reloaded the source file), which I think is what you're talking about, JohnWhi. Happy to say I figured it out myself...
See more
Yes, I did run Transcheck and subsequently fixed all the tag issues. It still wouldn't save. It's a Word file, and the error message is "An error occurred while saving the document".

However, I figured out that I could export the TM from the original translation, save it to my desktop, and then import it to the new project (reloaded the source file), which I think is what you're talking about, JohnWhi. Happy to say I figured it out myself

I haven't updated to the newest version of WF yet, because I got an error message when I tried, and I haven't had time to try again. But the TM issue has been happening since I first got WFPro4. (Never had any other WF).

Anyway, reloading the source file, importing the TM, and hitting Translate All fixed the problem, and I was able to save as translated. Since then I have had major issues with the Word file that was generated, but that's another story, since I don't think it's related to WF. Unless anyone thinks it might be – then I'm all ears. (It looks perfect at first, but then upon editing, or even not editing, but just saving and closing, then reopening it, tables have moved and text has become displaced and unreadable.)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot Use Existing TM (urgent!) WF4

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »