Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:43
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 28, 2016

I seldom use glossaries in my work. I remember in WFC they worked quite well.
Now I had a project from a customer who uses WFP exclusively. They provided also on-line TM and a terminology link.
When I let the mouse hover over a highlighted term in the source, I see the German translation according to the approved term bank.

Some examples:

EN DE
connectors - Anschlüsse (ok)
contactors - Schütze (ok)
converters - Anschlüsse (??
... See more
I seldom use glossaries in my work. I remember in WFC they worked quite well.
Now I had a project from a customer who uses WFP exclusively. They provided also on-line TM and a terminology link.
When I let the mouse hover over a highlighted term in the source, I see the German translation according to the approved term bank.

Some examples:

EN DE
connectors - Anschlüsse (ok)
contactors - Schütze (ok)
converters - Anschlüsse (??)

company - Gesellschaft (ok)
comply - Gesellschaft (!!)

In one segment there is the term "compliant". WFP reads (company - Gesellschaft).

I don't know if they term bank is so bad or does WFP mix up things?

Do you have experience with using terminology in WFP and what is your opinion?

[Bearbeitet am 2016-09-28 00:46 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:43
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Disable fuzzy term recognition Sep 28, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
In one segment there is the term "compliant". WFP reads (company - Gesellschaft).
I don't know if they term bank is so bad or does WFP mix up things?

I'm assuming WFP3.

This looks like what happens when WFP does fuzzy terminology recognition. It is the WF company's attempt to make up for the fact that it doesn't offer character-based terminology recognition, but it is rarely useful. Even worse, if you try to use the glossary for QC, and fuzzy recognition is enabled, WFP will flag the segment if the the source text contains "compliant" but the target text does not contain the translation of "company".

In WFP3, press F9 (or: Edit > Preferences), and then type "termin" in the filter on the left-hand pane. You'll then see two "Terminology" sets of settings where there are options to disable this behaviour (one for normal work and one for TransCheck). I hope this does it for you.

[Edited at 2016-09-28 07:01 GMT]

Vi Pukite
Vi Pukite  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:43
Latvian to English
+ ...
Thanks, Samuel. Sep 30, 2016

That had been bugging me too for a while.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology in WFP: a joke?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »