Wordfast 4.9 and sdlxliff files Translated segments appear untranslated in Studio
Thread poster: Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:09
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 12, 2016

Hello
I'm using WF4 to translate (pretranslated) sdlxliff files. The issue is that when my client receives the files they appear untranslated.
How can I manage this? or what can I tell them ? They say they cannot update their TM.

Thanks
Lucia

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Save file as translated Dec 13, 2016

Hello,

Did you save file as translated at the end (under the file menu)?
Make sure tags are replicated and in the right spot.

Kind regards,

John

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Saved as a sdlxliff file Dec 13, 2016

I do "Save file as translated" and it is saved as an sdlxliff file with the language extention before the format (sdlxliff). But the file is received with translated segments appearing as not translated whn opened in Studio.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Contact support Dec 13, 2016

Hi Lucia,
It might be best to contact support and send them the file so they can look at it. You can also open the SDLXLIFF file with a text editor and see if your translations are in there.

Kind regards,
John

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translations are in and done but... Dec 13, 2016

Translations are in and done but when they are opened in Studio the segments appear translated but they don't appear committed, i.e. no green tick at the left of the segment.

Maybe I was not clear in my previous question

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Normal Dec 13, 2016

Lucia Me wrote:

Translations are in and done but when they are opened in Studio the segments appear translated but they don't appear committed, i.e. no green tick at the left of the segment.

This is normal (I think). In WF terms, a committed segment has been saved to the TM. Since you translated on your machine, they wouldn't be saved to your client's TM (only yours). Your client needs to use a batch function on SDL Trados to commit all to TM and generate the target file.

Kind regards,

John

Patrick Wahl
Patrick Wahl  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:09
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Try "confirm all" or "commit all"... Dec 16, 2016

... and then "save translated file" again.

It happens sometimes that SDL doesn't recognize the same status that XLF was exported in WFP.

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try this solution Dec 16, 2016

I usually "save file as translated" and I can save it as sdlxliff file.

But if I open it in Studio I get a blank score, I mean there is no "green tick" at the left of each segment and it doesn't appear to be committed. I'm not sure, but it seems the client has issues committing the translation into their TM. Or maybe, it's only a matter of time.

Which is the difference between "commit all" and "confirm all" ?

Thanks
Lucia

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
Somebody else can explain that better to you, but.... Dec 17, 2016

... "segment confirmed" means the segment is marked as translated, just as a reference and also to amount to the progress of your translation, e.g. 60% of file translated etc.

"segment committed" means the segment is being saved in the actual TM you are using.

For any other tool to be able to work with your in WFP translated file, some parameters must be fulfilled, like "all segments confirmed (as translated)", no tags missing etc.

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Committed vs. Confimed Dec 17, 2016

And how can I confirm a segment in WFP 4 ?

Patrick Wahl
Brazil
Portuguese to German
+ ...
- Dec 19, 2016

Somebody just told me that this is not existing anymore, there is only "commit" in WFP 4.

Try to mark as much as you can as "translated", "finished" etc. and run "transcheck" to see if any tags are missing.

I hope I could help in this jungle of tools, tags, features and files (with the busiest support in the universe!!!!)

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Only "translated" can be done Dec 20, 2016

I usually confirm segments (ALT + DOWNARROW). And I save the file "save file as translated", i.e. sdlxliff.
They will have to confirm segments to get their TM updated as well.

WF4 is good, but I still have some problems, such as the accented uppercase letters and the slow spellchecker.
Let's see what happens with the new version .10.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 17:09
Accented uppercase letters Dec 20, 2016

Hi Lucia,

What you do with Alt+Down is commit segments to TM and leverage next segment. Every segment by default is confirmed, you unconfirm a segment so it doesn't get written to TM during Alt+Down acton.

Can you elaborate on the issues you are facing with uppercase accented letters with steps to reproduce?

Thank you,

John

Lucia Me wrote:

I usually confirm segments (ALT + DOWNARROW). And I save the file "save file as translated", i.e. sdlxliff.
They will have to confirm segments to get their TM updated as well.

WF4 is good, but I still have some problems, such as the accented uppercase letters and the slow spellchecker.
Let's see what happens with the new version .10.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Ticket to improve Dec 26, 2016

Hi Lucia,

I just want to let you know that we have a ticket to make an improvement to the SDLXLIFF filter. When documents are translated, you will have the option to set their segment status to translated. This has already been implemented in WFP3, see here: http://www.screencast.com/t/trQnj1tD
I will post here once this improvement has been implemented in WFP4.

Kind r
... See more
Hi Lucia,

I just want to let you know that we have a ticket to make an improvement to the SDLXLIFF filter. When documents are translated, you will have the option to set their segment status to translated. This has already been implemented in WFP3, see here: http://www.screencast.com/t/trQnj1tD
I will post here once this improvement has been implemented in WFP4.

Kind regards,
John
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sdlxliff segments confirmed in WF4 Jan 20, 2017

Hello
any news about the segment confirmation?

My client still asks me to send the xliff files with confirmed segments (they say they have issues on their part) and I don't know how to do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast 4.9 and sdlxliff files Translated segments appear untranslated in Studio

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »