P.B:
P.B:
Italy
Local time: 09:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2019

Dear Translation professionals,

I ask your support as these days I was browsing the web for free QA tools for uploading and scanning translated word files against a list of quality checks, I just supposed something could have been available for free as in the case of CAT Tools.

The problem using the CAT tool whch is free (in detail Matecat), is that it only applies checks on the translations that are performed inside its editor , I cannot upload a source doc and a targe
... See more
Dear Translation professionals,

I ask your support as these days I was browsing the web for free QA tools for uploading and scanning translated word files against a list of quality checks, I just supposed something could have been available for free as in the case of CAT Tools.

The problem using the CAT tool whch is free (in detail Matecat), is that it only applies checks on the translations that are performed inside its editor , I cannot upload a source doc and a target doc, select my QA checklist and scan..

Said that, I would like to know your opinion.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

Paola
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Paolo Feb 15, 2019

Paola Bisio wrote:
I was browsing the web for free QA tools for uploading and scanning translated word files against a list of quality checks...

Some previous threads that may contain useful information (or not): here, here, here, here, and here.

The problem ... is that ... I cannot upload a source doc and a target doc, select my QA checklist and scan.

If you have separate source and target files, then I think any QA tool (online or offline) will require you to align them into a bilingual file first. So you'll have to investigate/try out several aligners.

Most aligners will output a TMX file, but I suspect that some QA tools won't be able to perform QA on TMX files. Many QA tools will work on XLIFF files, and I'm told that the 30-day demo of Stingray can convert TMX to XLIFF (Stingray is also an aligner, but it doesn't look like a very user-friendly one).

The online CAT tool that you use may be able to provide an XLIFF file as a download format. You may also be able to export your translation from the online CAT tool as a TMX file (though some clients may disable this functionality). See screenshot from its web site:

matecat export

You can perform some QA tasks on TMX and XLIFF files in the freeware program Virtaal, among others.

[Edited at 2019-02-15 09:13 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Another free QA tool Jun 1, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

You can perform some QA tasks on TMX and XLIFF files in the freeware program Virtaal, among others.

See also here: https://www.yamagata-europe.com/en-gb/qa-distiller

MS-Windows only!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free QA tool for translated word files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »