Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 13, 2020

Dear Colleagues

I 'm subscribed to MS Office 365, with automatic updates. I recently realized that both my CAT tools SDL Trados Studio 2019 and memoQ 8.3.8 are not recognizing my spelling mistakes when I run the Spellchek. The following is an screenshot of memoQ, but the same happens to Studio 2019. My mistakes are there, but are not bein recognized.
2020-02-13 (5)

Please, let me know if someone is experiencing similar issues. How did you managed them?

Many thanks.

Clarisa

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Clarisa Feb 13, 2020

Clarisa Moraña wrote:
I'm subscribed to MS Office 365, with automatic updates.

1. Does spell-checking work in Word itself?

2. Which version of Trados do you use? Oh, and what is your operating system?

3. In Trados, go File > Options > Editor > Spelling > Active Spell Checker. Is the Word spell-checker selected?

4. Where did you get the spell-checker in Word -- is it pre-installed along with Word itself, or did you have to download and install it separately, e.g. from a third-party spell-checker provider?

5. What is the target language in Trados, and what is the language code of the target text in Trados?

Samuel

[Edited at 2020-02-13 15:16 GMT]

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 11:35
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Check your spelling settings in Trados Feb 14, 2020

Go to File -> Options -> Editor -> Spelling and check your settings. Do you have all the boxes ticked and an active spellchecker?

Clarisa Moraña

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Same applies in MemoQ Feb 14, 2020

In memoQ, go to Options > Spelling and grammar. Check that the settings are all correct.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:35
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The issues you all are describing do not apply. Feb 14, 2020

Dear colleagues,

the reason why I'm posting my query here is it because all the spellchecking options you all have mentioned here are on in both CAT tools. My MS Word does properly spell checks my files.
As I already said, I-m subscribed to MS Office and all the updates are automatic; my spellchecker is the one provided by MS Office. I do nothing to update or to download it.

Regarding the languages... I.ve been working with the same clients for YEARSSSS, usi
... See more
Dear colleagues,

the reason why I'm posting my query here is it because all the spellchecking options you all have mentioned here are on in both CAT tools. My MS Word does properly spell checks my files.
As I already said, I-m subscribed to MS Office and all the updates are automatic; my spellchecker is the one provided by MS Office. I do nothing to update or to download it.

Regarding the languages... I.ve been working with the same clients for YEARSSSS, using the same language pairs (EN-us_SP-us) and both CAT Tools always proofread my files. This issue is new. I don't think it is a CAT tool related but, instead, perhaps it has to do with some OFfice update.

Thanks for your input.

Clarisa
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Try Hunspell? Feb 15, 2020

MemoQ gives the option to use the Hunspell spell checker instead of the MS Word spellchecker.
Does spellchecking work with Hunspell and not MS Word? If it's a Word issue this should help identify it.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you have older versions of MS Word on your system? Feb 17, 2020

If you have also an old version whose spellchecking is outdated the CAT will try to use this and fail. I had this issue once and the reason was Office 2016, which I uninstalled and after that all was well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My CAT tools spell-checkers are not workwing

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »