Nicholas Isard  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:45
Member (2020)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2020

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has made the move from translating to interpreting. Just out of curiosity, I have just interpreted one of the videos provided by the EU for interpreting practice (one classed as 'very advanced') and found it surprisingly easy. I've been translating full time for the past 8 years and have lived in Spain for 10. I'd say my aural comprehension of Spanish is 95%+.

Has anyone else done this? I really just ask out of interest as I h
... See more
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone has made the move from translating to interpreting. Just out of curiosity, I have just interpreted one of the videos provided by the EU for interpreting practice (one classed as 'very advanced') and found it surprisingly easy. I've been translating full time for the past 8 years and have lived in Spain for 10. I'd say my aural comprehension of Spanish is 95%+.

Has anyone else done this? I really just ask out of interest as I have a few colleagues from university who have sat the EU and UN exams and thoroughly love it (not that I don't really enjoy translating).

Also, does anyone do both? Obviously not at an institutional level, but as a freelancer?

Cheers,
Nick

[Edited at 2020-04-27 18:41 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Phone interpretation? Apr 27, 2020

I ask because to be an interpreter in person now is not possible in most areas of the world let alone in Spain.

[Edited at 2020-04-27 18:49 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 10:45
Romanian to English
+ ...
Angie & Nicholas, Apr 27, 2020

I do both, although I started with interpreting and about five years later I added translation. In my opinion, they complement each-other; translation improves your vocabulary, while interpretation helps you think fast in order to find the right word or sentence. I work in a very narrow, highly specialized field of criminal law doing both interp & trans. (over 25 years experience).

Considering the current situation, remote interp is widely used (telephonic, video on different apps -
... See more
I do both, although I started with interpreting and about five years later I added translation. In my opinion, they complement each-other; translation improves your vocabulary, while interpretation helps you think fast in order to find the right word or sentence. I work in a very narrow, highly specialized field of criminal law doing both interp & trans. (over 25 years experience).

Considering the current situation, remote interp is widely used (telephonic, video on different apps - Skype, Zoom, Bluejeans, just to name a few).

Stay healthy,
lee
Collapse

Angie Garbarino

Natalia Potashnik
Natalia Potashnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Certification Apr 27, 2020

You will be asked to provide certificates that you successfully completed an interpretation course. Interpreting is different from translation where experience is often a substitute for formal education.

I do both. It is phone interpreting, of course. Did 2 online courses - community and medical interpreting. The agencies that I work for also asked me to take their own tests before hiring me.

By the way, real life interpreting is not easy but it is a separate topic.... See more
You will be asked to provide certificates that you successfully completed an interpretation course. Interpreting is different from translation where experience is often a substitute for formal education.

I do both. It is phone interpreting, of course. Did 2 online courses - community and medical interpreting. The agencies that I work for also asked me to take their own tests before hiring me.

By the way, real life interpreting is not easy but it is a separate topic.

[Edited at 2020-04-27 20:14 GMT]
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
You tested your skill by interpreting a video? Apr 28, 2020

Have you ever done any interpreting in a real situation, it’s much different than simulated situation. Are you talking about consecutive or simultaneous?

Angie Garbarino

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:45
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The other way Apr 28, 2020

Nicholas Isard wrote:

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else done this? I really just ask out of interest as I have a few colleagues from university who have sat the EU and UN exams and thoroughly love it (not that I don't really enjoy translating).

Also, does anyone do both? Obviously not at an institutional level, but as a freelancer?

Cheers,
Nick

I did it the opposite way: moving from interpreting to translating. For many years I did both, working in my profession as an architect in Italy and the UK, on large complex projects involving different disciplinary teams in technical discussions and contractual negotiations. I found the interpreting work very stressful because I was doing it in both directions (Italian/English/Italian) whilst also acting as part of the architecture team. Interpreting in both directions means that you are speaking continuously without a pause, switching from one language to the other. It was very stressful and often went on all day.

As soon as the opportunity arose, I extricated myself from interpreting and decided to focus on translating only. Much better.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 07:45 GMT]

Angie Garbarino

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Very bad management. Apr 28, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Nicholas Isard wrote:

Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Nick

I did it the opposite way: moving from interpreting to translating. For many years I did both, working in my profession as an architect in Italy and the UK, on large complex projects involving different disciplinary teams in technical discussions and contractual negotiations. I found the interpreting work very stressful because I was doing it in both directions (Italian/English/Italian) whilst also acting as part of the architecture team. Interpreting in both directions means that you are speaking continuously without a pause, switching from one language to the other. It was very stressful and often went on all day.

As soon as the opportunity arose, I extricated myself from interpreting and decided to focus on translating only. Much better.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 07:45 GMT]

Who managed your interpreting flows? A consecutive interpreter should have a pause each 30-45 mins while simul. interpreters switch each 20-25 minutes, and they always work in pairs. To me it sounds like you were doing simul. whispering by the way you described it. It seems somebody was saving money as in that case two interpreters should have been used.

Unfortunately, these kinds of situations are common. Clients rarely provide briefing in advance, they come unprepared, they do not adjust their speech pace to a meeting run through an interpreter, etc etc. That's why I said a real situation is different to interpreting a simulated training video.

[Edited at 2020-04-28 13:28 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving from translation to interpreting

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »