Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Most translated website in the world?
Thread poster: Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine
Alain Alameddine  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 12:55
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Breaking the Language Barrier -- A Look Behind the Scenes Apr 6, 2016

Regarding the posts above, Jehovah's Witnesses have published an article named "Breaking the Language Barrier-A Look Behind the Scenes" that explains the translation techniques they use.

The article is available on https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no3-2016-june and could be of much help to any translator interested in improving his skills and
... See more
Regarding the posts above, Jehovah's Witnesses have published an article named "Breaking the Language Barrier-A Look Behind the Scenes" that explains the translation techniques they use.

The article is available on https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/awake-no3-2016-june and could be of much help to any translator interested in improving his skills and/or modus operandi.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 11:55
Catalan to English
+ ...
Purpose? Apr 7, 2016

The following is taken from

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20130901/did-languages-come-from-the-tower-of-babel/

which, as you can see, is one of the pages of the much translated website being discussed here.

I find it ironic that such a huge linguistic effort has been made to sprea
... See more

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20130901/did-languages-come-from-the-tower-of-babel/

which, as you can see, is one of the pages of the much translated website being discussed here.

I find it ironic that such a huge linguistic effort has been made to spread such ludicrous ideas as the one below:

"The Bible tells us that Jehovah God confused the people’s language at Babel because they rebelled against him. (Genesis 11:4-7) However, he promised that he would “give to peoples the change to a pure language, in order for them all to call upon the name of Jehovah, in order to serve him shoulder to shoulder.” (Zephaniah 3:9) This “pure language,” the truth from God’s Word, draws together a people from around the world today. It seems logical that in the future God would unite mankind further by giving them one common language, undoing the confusion at Babel.

LEGENDS THAT ECHO THE BIBLE’S ACCOUNT
“Once upon a time all the people lived in one large village and spoke one tongue,” according to a story told by a hill tribe in Myanmar. While building a great tower, the builders “gradually acquired different manners, customs, and ways of speech, [eventually] being scattered all over the land.” Similar legends are found among indigenous peoples of Africa, East Asia, Mexico, and elsewhere.

If the Babel account had been an invention by Moses, the Hebrew writer of Genesis, would it have cropped up in the legends of such far-flung national and language groups? That is very unlikely. Thus, the existence of such diverse legends and tales testifies to the credibility of the Babel account in the Bible."

By the way, it may be a "coincidence" (which I very much doubt) but this very same topic has been posted on another website for translators - virtually same time, same name, same title, same everything....

Please see the following:
"What is the most translated website in the world?
Jehovah's Witnesses have launched a month-long global distribution of a new tract entitled Where Can We Find Answers to Life's Big Questions? to raise awareness of their official website, jw.org."

I see this has been posted under "Technical forums » Internet for translators».

Internet for translators or for spreading the Word?

ProZ is a site for translators or proselytizers?

[Edited at 2016-04-07 01:51 GMT]
Collapse

Victor Maldonado
Victor Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:55
Focusing on Translations Itself Not Biblical Understanding Sep 28, 2016

Andy Watkinson wrote:

I find it ironic that such a huge linguistic effort has been made to spread such ludicrous ideas as the one below:

[...] [/quote]

Whatever the personal views in favor or against, there is no question that a non profit entity is able to pull this off internationally for no commercial gains.

The personal views posted above regarding the Babel account being ludicrous, is of course, not shared not even by any mainstream Christian churches. Which by the way has nothing to do with the actual translations work from this group.

I think the JWs must be commended for this monumental and ongoing translation task as an example of translator cooperation worldwide.

[Edited at 2016-09-28 23:49 GMT]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Not really Sep 29, 2016

Victor Maldonado wrote:

I think the JWs must be commended for this monumental and ongoing translation task as an example of translator cooperation worldwide.

[Edited at 2016-09-28 23:49 GMT]

I believe this would be better worded as "this monumental falsehood regarding the origin of language diversity".

Someone several years ago, a JW member, actually had the gall to recommend this organisation's publications as a useful reference for linguistic enlightenment in the Articles section.

ProZ immediately removed it, for good reason.

I believe these forums are for discussing languages, not religion.

And "no commercial gains" - you're kidding, right?

[Edited at 2016-09-29 01:53 GMT]

Victor Maldonado
Victor Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:55
The Most Translated Oct 5, 2016

Andy Watkinson wrote:

I believe this would be better worded as "this monumental falsehood regarding the origin of language diversity".

Someone several years ago, a JW member, actually had the gall to recommend this organisation's publications as a useful reference for linguistic enlightenment in the Articles section.

ProZ immediately removed it, for good reason.

I believe these forums are for discussing languages, not religion.

Regardless of our personal views regarding Bible understanding on the origin of languages, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York manages the most translated website of all times for Jehovah's Witnesses.

And to answer your question: No, I'm not kidding. This organization is an Affiliation, which defines the organizational grouping in the context of the IRS group ruling, and Central - a parent (group ruling) and is a church or 501(c)(1) organization.

Respectfully

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Misunderstanding Oct 6, 2016

Victor Maldonado wrote:

Andy Watkinson wrote:

And to answer your question: No, I'm not kidding. This organization is an Affiliation, which defines the organizational grouping in the context of the IRS group ruling, and Central - a parent (group ruling) and is a church or 501(c)(1) organization.

Respectfully

I believe you have misunderstood me. Please read again.

"And "no commercial gains" - you're kidding, right?"

I've no doubt it's an affiliation, organisation, "church", whatever you want to call it.

But to say there are "no commercial gains" in it for the aforesaid "affiliation, organisation....etc" is a joke.

Proz is not for discussing religious enterprises but language-related matters.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:55
Serbian to English
+ ...
what exactly is the purpose of this thread? Oct 6, 2016

Andy Watkinson wrote:

I see this has been posted under "Technical forums » Internet for translators».

Internet for translators or for spreading the Word?

ProZ is a site for translators or proselytizers?

[Edited at 2016-04-07 01:51 GMT]

As I can't see any real TECHNICAL benefit from all this ...

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Thread locked Oct 6, 2016

As the discussion has significantly deviated from the subject I am locking the thread.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most translated website in the world?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »